Top draft pick may be too expensive to trade
By Harvey Fialkov | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
February 23, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS - While one team source said that the Dolphins would, "love to" trade out of the overall first selection of April's draft, the unprecedented signing bonus that teams must pay that pick makes trading quite difficult.

The top pick is expected to receive a signing bonus somewhere between $30-35 million.

"Seven or eight years ago there might have been a huge market for that pick," said Colts General Manager Bill Polian. "Now, I'm not sure there is quite the market there used to be, and it's because of the money.

"That's not what the draft was designed to do by Mr. [George] Halas and Bert Bell. That's by the board now because these prices are outrageous."

Polian said that 50 percent of the top picks over the past 25 years have been busts.

The ***** gave 2005 top pick quarterback Alex Smith $24 million guarantee on a six-year, $49.5 million contract. He has struggled.

"Miami's cap situation is entirely different than what ours was when I took over the job," said ***** coach Mike Nolan. "We weren't looking to supplement our roster that first year through free agency. ... We had to draft and that was it.

"This year everyone has got dollars, so if they want to supplement in a different way they can.

"I do know this: Whatever he [Bill Parcells] does I think it deserves a lot of respect. He'll do the best thing with the pick, whether he stays there or moves. It'll be interesting to watch though."

The Dolphins are believed to be $35-44 million under the $116 million salary cap.

All eyes on Ryan
Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, the projected No. 1 pick by most mock drafts, grew up in Philadelphia when Parcells was coach of the Giants, an NFC East Division rival of the Eagles.

"Well, he was with the Giants and I always grew up an Eagles fan," Ryan said with a smile. "Then he was with the Cowboys as well. Those were kind of the two teams I didn't like growing up, just as an Eagles fan."

Parcells is not attending the Combine.

"He's revered as one of the great people around the game of football," Ryan said.

Still, after speaking to Dolphins coach Tony Sparano and GM Jeff Ireland, Ryan was excited about the possibility of playing for the Dolphins.

"It would be unbelievable," Ryan said. "For me, it would be really fun to go play in Miami. It would be a great situation for a quarterback, and it may end up working out."

Ryan said he will not throw in Sunday's workout, preferring to throw to receivers he's used to, which he will do at his Pro Day on March 10.

Michigan quarterback Chad Henne said he was scheduled to meet with the Dolphins Friday night.

"I spoke to quarterbacks coach David Lee [at the Senior Bowl]. We talked about character, discipline and attitude so it's a good fit," Henne said.