Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Fortuninerhater
  • 1 Post By MauiRam

Thread: Is top speed that important?

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Is top speed that important?

For a defesive end anyway. I can see it in a receiver, but for DE I am thinking explosive speed is more important and i that measurable?

Thoughts?

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) Jadeveon Clowney made things tougher for Johnny Manziel and the other potential No. 1 picks Monday.

The former South Carolina star ran the fastest 40-yard dash time of the defensive lineman. NFL.com reported the unofficial time at 4.47 seconds. NFL Network said it was 4.53. Either way, it was still tops at his position.

Clowney did 21 reps at 225 pounds in the weightlifting workout, putting him in the second half of the defensive ends.

Michael Sam, who is trying to become the first openly gay player in the NFL, posted an unofficial 40-yard dash time of 4.79 seconds and did 17 reps, according to NFL.com. NFL Network reported the time was 4.91.

"The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Is top speed that important?

I'd say it's important if you have it and not so much if you don't.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -02-25-2014 at 09:05 PM.
    MoonJoe and a.p.quinn like this.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Well if the quarterback is scrambling to his left or right that speed shows he can be caught before possibly getting the pass off. Plus I think the 1st 10 of the forty is what a lot of people look at for explosiveness to get to the QB in the pocket.

a.p.quinn is offline Registered User

For Clowney, that top speed could invite him in on trick plays for offense once in a while. He has the size and speed of a pass catching TE. Don't know whether or not he can catch, but it's an idea. Speed doesn't necessarily matter for a receiver... if only there were a drill at the combine that distinctly showed separation skills...

bigdogg2834 is offline Registered User

It just shows general athleticism. It doesn't always directly relate to how a certain position is played. Similar to how people make a big deal about O-Linemen running fast 40's.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I think it is somewhat important but I put quickness and strength ahead of speed. 21 reps of the 225 lbs isn't impressive. Clowney needs to work on that.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I suppose that depends on whether you are being chased by a lion or a rattlesnake. As it relates to football, probably not that much for DTs and O-linemen. I'd guess it has significance for wrs and rbs on O, and lbs and dbs on D.

Conversely there are, and have been, quite a few record breaking players with great careers who've lacked long speed. On the other hand, if a team doesn't have any players at all possessed of elite speed, it is hard if not impossible for said team to be balanced. There are reasons qbs didn't throw on Deion Sanders when he played cb. There is an obvious reason wrs having decent hands and elite speed will often draw double coverage.

I guess the answer is yes for a team that doesn't have at least a couple of players who can really fly.

There was a time not long ago, when the Rams didn't have anyone who could take the top off a defense. It sure seemed important back then.
    MoonJoe likes this.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Excellent responses! I was watching the combine for OL the other day and they were doing a drill where the the guy would un backwards to the side, switch, switch back then head to the endzone . It was pretty cool to see the different levels of athletic ability for that drill and a good place where your top speed didn't matter, but rather the foot work did.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

No, the 10-yard split is more important IMO because it provides info on the player's initial burst off the line of scrimmage, and even that is a flawed measurement because padding reduces their speed. Unless a DE's value is measured on the basis of chasing off a RB/WR/QB within their range, the 40 time means horsepiss to me.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

agree with all the above.

But I will say this. A few tenths of a second is the difference between Robert Quinn hitting the ball loose before the qb is able to release. (ie. the difference between a pass and a fumble)