Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    timsum1283 is offline Registered User

And Torry Holt has us picking...

Gerald McCoy.

Via NFL.com video, Torry Holt submitted his mock draft and with the #1 pick he has the St. Louis Rams selecting Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma.

2) Lions, Ndamukong Suh, DT
    3) Bucs, Dan Williams, DT
    4) Redskins, Russell Okung, OT
    5) Chiefs, Anthony Davis, OT
    6) Seahawks, Bruce Campbell, OT
    7) Browns, Eric Berry, S
    8) Raiders, Trent Williams, OT
    9) Bills, Bryan Bulaga, OT
    10) Jaguars, Rolando McClain, ILB

Holt says that he doesn't feel comfortable with picking Bradford number 1 because of injury concerns and the Rams haven't done a great job of protecting their QBs. Holt also says that he would rather take Clausen over Bradford. When asked that taking Bradford would be the jolt the Rams need, Torry responded that it won't be this year and that Gerald McCoy will be that jolt.

I love Torry but I would be shocked if the top 10 picks came out like this.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: And Torry Holt has us picking...

I seriously dont know how anyone has McCoy ahead of Suh. The main argument I have heard is that McCoy has better technique then Suh, well who is better then Spags at teaching D-lineman to be successful? Also wouldn't this mean that Suh has a higher ceiling then McCoy since he can still learn and improve him game? Somebody please explain why McCoy is a better prospect.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

No QB off the board in the top 10? I wonder when the last time that happened was. If that happened, I'm sure there'd be a lot of teams looking to trade up.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

And that's why players don't become good GMs.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

With all the talk that the RAMS are or should take SUH. Then it changed to the RAMS are or should take Bradford. Picking McCoy kind of makes sense from the smokescreen perspective. The RAMS and the media somehow are keeping Bradford and/or SUH on the front burner to keep the rest of the league guessing? Maybe just maybe McCoy is their guy.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Why would a team with the first pick need to use a smokescreen? If they want McCoy, they'll take McCoy. Nobody can stop them. Its not as though there's any real possibility of a trade down to No. 2 or No. 3.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Why would a team with the first pick need to use a smokescreen? If they want McCoy, they'll take McCoy. Nobody can stop them. Its not as though there's any real possibility of a trade down to No. 2 or No. 3.
    At the 1 spot, I'd think any screen would be directed towards agents instead of other teams. In fact, I wouldn't mind the Rams publically displaying a little more love for Clausen, if in fact they are desirous of Bradford.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Let's use Bradford for this question.

How much money could the RAMS save by drafting him at #3 vs drafting him at #1?

What I'm getting at is that the Lions and Bucs have their young future qb's already. They both probably want either or Suh or McCoy. So a trade to #3 might make sense from a dollars and cents perspective?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    No QB off the board in the top 10? I wonder when the last time that happened was. If that happened, I'm sure there'd be a lot of teams looking to trade up.
    I thought that was an interesting enough question to check PRF. The answer is 2000. It actually happened back2back in 96-97.

And it's not as if someone got a steal later in the first or second in those years; Pennington went at #18 in 2000. Anybody who says they knew Brady would be franchise caliber is fibbing,imo.

I think you could even argue that it should have happened in 2007; I don't think anyone except Crazy Al's enema nurse...uh, personal assistant.... would now claim that J-Mac was a well-vetted top ten QB.

I think it's interesting that one of the premier skill players of his generation is so lineman-centric. Maybe there's something to this "build from the inside out" philosophy that gets compromised more often than it should because of the other pressures on GMs.

I think Holt might make a football-savvy GM; he'd just get fired a lot...lol...

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

whos arguing against teams being built in the trenches? Just because the Rams finally for the first time in franchise history seem to be leaning towards QB this year doesn't mean their worrying about the media and what they think and being strong armed into taking Bradford.

Indeed I'd think the guy who thought that was being a ridiculous fool...

Could it be we actually do need a quarterback in the worst way and spent last years pick in the trenches, the year before that in the trenches, the year before that in the trenches....

shower beers is offline Registered User

well, I can honestly say that I have yet to see a mock draft quite like that...

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

It was brought to my attention that Holt and Chavous lobbied to have Tye Hill drafted back in 2006...so...I'll pass on any of "Big Game's" crack player scouting.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    whos arguing against teams being built in the trenches? Just because the Rams finally for the first time in franchise history seem to be leaning towards QB this year doesn't mean their worrying about the media and what they think and being strong armed into taking Bradford.

Indeed I'd think the guy who thought that was being a ridiculous fool...

Could it be we actually do need a quarterback in the worst way and spent last years pick in the trenches, the year before that in the trenches, the year before that in the trenches....
    Since you used the same phrase (strongarmed into taking Bradford) that I did in my sarcastic joke response to that somewhat crazy rant about The Rams a while back, I'm gonna assume this is directed towards me.It was indeed a joke.

The pressure of media hype isn't what I meant. That isn't in reality the pressure that good GMs take seriously,imo.Nor do I agree with Peoriaram that Devaney or Spags will be in any way influenced directly in their choice of who they pick or who starts by fan opinion. The pressures I was talking about above are, among other things, financial and taking-the-sexy-guy=results-now approach that are forced on them by prior decisions not of their making & meddlesome owners & coaches.

A real GM has to juggle/fight through all of this stuff while evaluating the draft prospects on a purely "footballistic" basis which is a combo of art, science, and ,frankly, a gambler's hunch in any case. And take the fall quite often when it goes wrong even if he had to compromise his position to keep his job /maintain FO stability.

Holt's top 10 is pretty unusual in the total exclusion of skill players.Of course, a number of those teams need OL & DL help badly but they also need QBs,RBs,WRs,DEs-all considered by many to be the most valued positions for a team( ie top 10 worthy)- but very few fans or pundits are suggesting that ALL of them will/should ignore the top prospects at those positions in favor of OL/interior DL. So I'd say pretty much everyone who offers a mock draft top 10 is prioritizing the trenches below skill positions for at least some teams.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I thought that was an interesting enough question to check PRF. The answer is 2000. It actually happened back2back in 96-97.

And it's not as if someone got a steal later in the first or second in those years; Pennington went at #18 in 2000. Anybody who says they knew Brady would be franchise caliber is fibbing,imo.

I think you could even argue that it should have happened in 2007; I don't think anyone except Crazy Al's enema nurse...uh, personal assistant.... would now claim that J-Mac was a well-vetted top ten QB.

I think it's interesting that one of the premier skill players of his generation is so lineman-centric. Maybe there's something to this "build from the inside out" philosophy that gets compromised more often than it should because of the other pressures on GMs.

I think Holt might make a football-savvy GM; he'd just get fired a lot...lol...
    Thanks for looking that up. I was surprised that it seems to happen as often as it does. Still don't think it's going to happen this year, though.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by timsum1283 View Post
    Gerald McCoy.

Via NFL.com video, Torry Holt submitted his mock draft and with the #1 pick he has the St. Louis Rams selecting Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma.

2) Lions, Ndamukong Suh, DT
    3) Bucs, Dan Williams, DT
    4) Redskins, Russell Okung, OT
    5) Chiefs, Anthony Davis, OT
    6) Seahawks, Bruce Campbell, OT
    7) Browns, Eric Berry, S
    8) Raiders, Trent Williams, OT
    9) Bills, Bryan Bulaga, OT
    10) Jaguars, Rolando McClain, ILB
    I think this is one of the least likely top 10's I have seen and I would prefer us get Suh and Det get McCoy. If it went down like this we should have players at need in round 2. The first 10 picks in the draft would be areas that we would not need to look at in round #2. The top 10 has 3 DT's (we get DT #1), 5 OT's (we have J. Smith & Barron), 1 S (we resign Atogwe), 1 ILB (we have Lau). That would possibly push some good value to the second round in areas of need such as DE's, TE's, OLB's, WR's, QB (maybe), RB's, and CB's.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -03-26-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast