RamWraith is offline Registered User

Trade Could Alter Draft Strategy

Friday, April 20, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

As Scott Linehan and his staff close in on finalizing their draft board, Linehan gave some hints (or disinformation) as to who might be the Rams’ target with the No. 13 pick in the NFL Draft.

After spending the weeks leading up to last year’s draft really just getting acquainted with how the process will play out and doing his best to make teams believe the Rams were interested in quarterback Jay Cutler, Linehan seemed a little more adamant about his interest in a few names heading into this year’s draft.

Linehan talked about a variety of players Thursday, but seemed to light up at the mention of two: Ohio State receiver/returner Ted Ginn Jr. and Nebraska defensive end/tackle Adam Carriker.

That might mean everything or it might mean nothing in this, the season of disinformation. But there’s no doubt that there is one area that will have a serious impact on how the Rams approach this year’s draft.

While there is no doubting that the defense could use an upgrade, especially on the line, it’s not apparent that any of the top defensive tackle or end prospects that will be available to the Rams when they pick will be the type that will have an immediate impact. And with that in mind, it’s not a slam dunk that the Rams will go in that direction with their first pick.

“I know there's a groundswell for that,” Linehan said. “And I understand it. We have the same feelings emotionally on all of that. There's still — how many days left till the draft? There are some scenarios that could happen. You never know.”

In other words, the boost that the defense needs might have to come through other means, like say, a trade. By now, everyone following the situation knows that Carolina has made Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kris Jenkins available in trade.

Likewise, most are aware that the Rams have interest in acquiring him and plugging him in at the nose tackle spot. Of course, when other teams found out about the Rams’ interest in Jenkins, they wanted to get in the mix too.

“I can acknowledge that we'd be interested in making our team better in that area — with him or anybody,” Linehan said. “What I’m learning is that all of a sudden somebody finds out you are interested in that guy then they say here’s a guy for you. That happens.”

While Linehan wouldn’t name names as far as other teams that have called the Rams, it’s clear that it might be a better option to obtain a proven veteran that can have a more immediate impact on the team’s ailing run defense.

The asking price for those players is unknown and because of the amount of uncertainty surrounding the draft, any trade could and probably would come down to draft day.

“A trade, they are hard to do,” Linehan said. “I don’t know if we can pull that off. But if it can’t be pulled off it won’t be because we didn’t try.

“It’s timing. I think that’s a critical thing because people know if you don’t get it done, it might happen on Saturday. Those things can happen five minutes before your pick. What perks me up is that it did put some interest out there. You never know who might call.”

Looking at the performance of defensive tackles in their first year in the league, not many have the type of immediate impact that could significantly alter the Rams defense right away.

In last year’s draft, just three tackles were taken in the first round as Baltimore grabbed Haloti Ngata, Philadelphia chose Brodrick Bunkley and Buffalo took John McCargo. While Ngata did a fine job of tying up blockers, none of that group had much of an impact. In fact, that trio combined for 46 tackles and one sack in 36 games.

This year, there are two tackles that have set themselves apart from the rest of the group with one late comer to the party. Michigan’s Alan Branch and Louisville’s Amobi Okoye are the top two prospects with Tennessee’s Justin Harrell climbing draft boards late.

Okoye is more of a three-technique and probably won’t be available when the Rams pick. Harrell is coming off injury problems and would probably be a reach at No. 13. That leaves Branch, who has faced myriad questions about his work ethic and effort.

“He’s the best looking guy for the position and doesn’t always play it the way you like,” Linehan said. “It’s hard when you are in that position because you get doubled a lot. You’d like to see a little more production out of the position. You see the potential.”

Linehan said Thursday he doesn’t necessarily think any of the tackle prospects are impact guys, which is what the team is targeting in the first few rounds, regardless of position.

That explains the apparent interest in Ginn, probably the fastest player in the draft and a player who has the type of game breaking ability on special teams that Devin Hester provided the Bears last season in their run to the Super Bowl.

Adding Ginn now as a fourth receiver and return man would seem to make a lot of sense as Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt advance in age. It would allow Ginn time to develop his receiving skills while still serving as an important cog on special teams.

And Linehan believes Ginn might be as much help to the run defense as any of the tackles.

“I promise you, if a player like Ted Ginn or any other player creates field position, or changes the scoreboard and makes it a 14-point lead for the Rams, our run defense is going to get a lot better,” Linehan said. “Because the team we're playing is going to be throwing. To me that's a logical way of looking at it.”

Carriker, meanwhile, has the same type of versatility as Ginn. The defensive end from Nebraska is capable of moving inside and there’s a real chance he could be available when the Rams pick in the first round.

“I don’t think there’s any question,” Linehan said. “I think his value in a 4-3 defense is he can probably play three positions and do all at a starting level.”

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Trade Could Alter Draft Strategy

“I promise you, if a player like Ted Ginn or any other player creates field position, or changes the scoreboard and makes it a 14-point lead for the Rams, our run defense is going to get a lot better,” Linehan said. “Because the team we're playing is going to be throwing. To me that's a logical way of looking at it.”
    i do like that idea. Teams were running the ball on us last year because we were never far in front of the opposition. It sounds almost ridiculous, but its a great way of thinking about it. Its not about not improving the defensive personal, but also about giving them as much help as possible. Keeping the opposition defense on the sideline by running the ball and making the opposition offense throw the ball is a great way to get the running defense numbers down!

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

That's why the Rams were so good in '99. They'd get up quick, and make the opposing team try to come back. We forced a of turnovers in the first few games last year. I think we could do it again, if we get that NT, that could be the difference. In many cases, our offense and special teams will = the best defense. It's worked before, and I LOVE our offense. I feel it can work. Now, Ginn doesn't look like all that bad of a pick. It makes sense, and with him being a part of one of the better WR Corps in the NFL, can only make him better.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

“I can acknowledge that we'd be interested in making our team better in that area — with him or anybody,” Linehan said. “What I’m learning is that all of a sudden somebody finds out you are interested in that guy then they say here’s a guy for you. That happens.”

That gives me the impression that other teams have came to the Rams and offered some NT/DTs' to us.
    RamsFan16

eldfan is offline Registered User

"And Linehan believes Ginn might be as much help to the run defense as any of the tackles."

I am starting to believe this is not a smoke screen. I believe we should draft D but with our recent failures on draft day I can't blame Linehan if he goes in a different direction.
    :ramlogo:

Rambos is online now Registered User

I am starting to believe this is not a smoke screen.
    Thats how good he is, if yoy are buying it, think of how many teams out there will be willing to trade up, with us.