Thread: Trade down?

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Trade down?

Is there any scenario that we would want to trade down and get either an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick?

What would be realistic to expect?
    Down 5 for 3rd?
    Down 10 for second?

We need so much help on defense it would be nice to get an extra pick. I would like to upgrade at TE and OL (1 G or C) but that may have to come via free agency or next off-season.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Trade down?

Honestly, I don't think I'd trade down unless we got two picks in return - one day one and one other. This draft is so packed with talent that great prospects could still be had at 11th. If for some reason we don't want one of those, we should milk the value of that pick for all it's worth.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

i would trade down for extra picks, i dont believe that at #11 we will get a game changing superstar on defense,and even if we did we need a number of good players more than 1 superstar.

chiguy is offline Registered User

If the Rams could do something to get another second rounder, though, I'd be excited. At this point, I'm not sure we can move down from eleven unless some player drops unexpectedly. For that to happen, there would need to be a run on the LBs, OTs, or TEs. I don't see that happening in front of us, with the depth of this draft being on defense.

rampete is offline Registered User

one potential trade suitor for the rams may be miami dolphins at #16...

they're in desperate need of a potential franchise level QB...

Jay Cutler may be the consensus third best QB in this draft after Matt Leinart and Vince Young. some have even wrote that Cutler may've been rated higher than leinart if he had played on a higher profile collegiate team...

if miami covets Cutler and may be worried that teams in front of them may pick him, like cleveland or baltimore, then i can see them asking a trade up to #11 or even higher...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    i would trade down for extra picks, i dont believe that at #11 we will get a game changing superstar on defense,and even if we did we need a number of good players more than 1 superstar.
    I don't know why we couldn't get a game changing player at 11th overall. Teams have certainly found those kind of players in the past at that position or lower. Just in the last three years at the kind of players taken in the first round at our spot or lower...

-2005: Demarcus Ware (11), Shawne Merriman (12), Derrick Johnson (15),
    -2004: Jonathan Vilma (12), DJ Williams (17), Vince Wilfork (21), Chris Gamble (28)
    -2003: Marcus Trufant (11), Ty Warren (13), Troy Polamalu (16), Nick Barnett (29)

Even looking at some of the defensive superstars in the league shows that some have been had at our position or worse: Ray Lewis (26), Ed Reed (24), Brian Dawkins (61), Dwight Freeney (11), Derrick Brooks (28), Julian Peterson (16), Takeo Spikes (13). The list goes on.

Can we select someone who will come in and be an immediate superstar? Maybe, maybe not. But this is one of the deepest most talented drafts in years, and I think even if the player we pick doesn't make an immediate impact, there's a strong chance they'll develop into an impact player.

I don't know why you wouldn't think we could get a real game-changing defensive player in the top fifteen here. I think Michael Huff, Jimmy Williams, Chad Greenway, and DeMeco Ryans could all be available at that spot, and could all be cornerstones of good defensive units.

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    one potential trade suitor for the rams may be miami dolphins at #16...

they're in desperate need of a potential franchise level QB...

Jay Cutler may be the consensus third best QB in this draft after Matt Leinart and Vince Young. some have even wrote that Cutler may've been rated higher than leinart if he had played on a higher profile collegiate team...

if miami covets Cutler and may be worried that teams in front of them may pick him, like cleveland or baltimore, then i can see them asking a trade up to #11 or even higher...
    Interesting scenario. If Cutler continues to rise and makes it past Detroit, the Rams could really be hot on the phones trying to work that pick.

Just for reference, the Rams could trade their 11th overall pick to Miami for their 16th overall pick, a third round pick, and a late round pick. That evens out pretty well.

chiguy is offline Registered User

That's an interesting scenario. It probably wouldn't hurt that Linehan knows Saban.

nick,you have some very good examples of picks that have become very good, what i was trying to say and maybe didnt word it right is that we are not 1 superstar away from being a good defense, we need 4 to 5 quality starters(and tacklers) before this defense can start to show any signs of improvement. on the other hand maybe haslett is the answer and he can get the players we have to step up,in which case i would keep the #11 pick, but we wont know that by draft time.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    nick,you have some very good examples of picks that have become very good, what i was trying to say and maybe didnt word it right is that we are not 1 superstar away from being a good defense, we need 4 to 5 quality starters(and tacklers) before this defense can start to show any signs of improvement. on the other hand maybe haslett is the answer and he can get the players we have to step up,in which case i would keep the #11 pick, but we wont know that by draft time.
    I disagree with you. I thought some players really started to show some talent toward the end. Everyone wants to act like we have a group that's had a chance to prove itself. Consider that most of the starters on the Rams Defense have only 3 or less years of experience in the NFL. There's talent there.

Hargrove was a beast towards the end of the season.

Pickett and Kennedy were very good for the early part of the season. I still dont know what Kennedy did to get benched, because he was playing pretty well.

Little came on at the end as well.

Tinoisamoa is a young stud. He's only getting better.

Claiborne didnt get very much playing time, but he did look good in the few games where he got extensive playing time.

The other OLB position is a spot that I think needs to addressed in the draft badly.

CB has some stars in the form of Jerametrius Butler and a young stud like Ronald Bartell. Fisher was hurting all season, so I expect him to play better. Groce did decent as the starter and should do better in the NCB or DCB situation. Corey Ivy showed a lot of heart and was great in coverage.

At SS Arch needs to be brought back. He's very good up close to the line and I think Jerome Carter would do a good job feeling in deep when we bring Arch up close.

At FS, Atogwe is the answer. I wanted to see what this guy could do all season and he showed me in the Dallas game, and he's only going to get better.

The positions on defense that I'd like to see strengthened would be OLB, MLB, DT, and maybe a late round pick on a CB. I like what our defense can do in the right system.

Also, there are some studs who should be available in the draft at #11 in the form of Michael Huff, DeMeco Ryans, Chad Greenway, or Jimmy Williams. Those four guys would drastically change the face of the Ram's defense.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

you make some good points, but if we are to get better, we need guys to step up for an entire season,you listed guys who played well in the beginning of the season, some guys who played well at the end of the season,how about playing well the whole season.everyone has potential but these guys have got to step up now, our tackling is horrible,we have no pass rush and we still cant stop the run.i give you the fact that most of these guys are young,but now they need to learn a new system with haslett,so do we use that as an excuse this year ?

general counsel is offline Registered User

I caution the context of "came on at the end" The end constituted a philly team with a second string offense, the whiners and their pathetic group, a cowboys team that had been eliminated a couple hours earlier and was flat as a pancake etc.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

STLRAMSFAN Guest

It’s okay to have a balance of talented and potentially talented players. Our problem is we are loaded with potentially talented players and not talented players on D. Potentially talented players can be very streaky while waiting to see if the potential talent ever develops into a consistently talented player.