Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48
  1. #16
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,671
    Rep Power
    168

    Re: A trade-down idea so crazy, it just might work!

    Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    Mike Vick will also probably be available next year. I'm just throwing that out there because I'm not completely sold on any of the QB's in this year's draft and I think he could be a decent temporary solution at QB and that would allow the Rams to draft Suh who I think is the best player in the draft. Vick learned the WCO this year and he lead some good offenses when he was in Atlanta.
    Um... how should I put this....

    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!


  2. #17
    GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    322
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: A trade-down idea so crazy, it just might work!

    Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    Mike Vick will also probably be available next year. I'm just throwing that out there because I'm not completely sold on any of the QB's in this year's draft and I think he could be a decent temporary solution at QB and that would allow the Rams to draft Suh who I think is the best player in the draft. Vick learned the WCO this year and he lead some good offenses when he was in Atlanta.
    I hear a lot of people talking about signing a temporary solution as a QB. I honestly feel our temporary solution is already on this team. I think Bulger will be okay if he gets some help around him. Get the WR's in camp and let them work together.

    However, if we let him go, draft a QB as a long term solution and throw them in.

  3. #18
    molar_pistol is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    az
    Posts
    938
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: A trade-down idea so crazy, it just might work!

    it could happen. washington doesn't seem to like him very much, although there will likely be a new staff in washington by the draft so it's tough to say. i like campbell and think he would be a pretty good fit as the qb for our team, despite the problems he's had in washington.

  4. #19
    TheRammer Guest

    Re: A trade-down idea so crazy, it just might work!

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here's a name that intrigues me: Jason Campbell.

    Hear me out.

    First, the scenario.

    Let's say the Rams have the 3rd pick (entirely possible with Tampa and Cleveland also having only 1 win, and a 2 win Detroit having a loss to the Rams).

    Let's also say that the Redskins are picking around 7th or 8th (also entirely possible).

    Now, it has been widely reported that Washington was in the market for Jay Cutler, and also shopped Campbell last year in the hope of drafting Mark Sanchez. Presume that this year they have their eye on a QB (Clausen, Bradford, Locker) who is still there at #3, but probably won't be there at #7 or #8.

    As for the Rams, let's assume that, by the third pick, Suh and another tempting prospect (a QB, G.McCoy) is gone.

    Would a trade down to acquire Campbell make sense?

    Looking at Campbell alone, he has some promise. He's impoved in pretty much every statistical category each year, and he hasn't exactly had the greatest skill players around him. He also would be a good West Coast offense fit.

    A trade like that (which might, I acknowledge, require that the Rams throw in a mid-late round pick to even things out) could allow the Rams to (a) get a 27 year old QB who is on the rise and ready to start, and (b) use the 7th/8th pick to take a player like Dez Bryant, Eric Berry, Derrick Morgan, C.J. Spiller or Terrence Cody.

    Like I said... its so crazy it just might work.
    Cambell? really? I'd just assume get Suh and keep Bulger.... altho I really like drafting Clausen...

  5. #20
    AlwaysBackwards's Avatar
    AlwaysBackwards is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sanger,California
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: A trade-down idea so crazy, it just might work!

    i agree the only part that i disagree is when you said that Campbell hasnt had the greatest skill players around him. i mean clinton portis,santana moss chris cooley. i mean those are good nfl starters. if campbell cant produce that much with chris cooley and santana moss what makess you think that he can produce with donnie avery and randy mcmichael? i like the idea of bringing in Campbell but just dont agree with the assessment of lack of talent or playmakers around Campbell in Washington.

  6. #21
    Varg6's Avatar
    Varg6 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,620
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: A trade-down idea so crazy, it just might work!

    Haven't they been hurt the whole year though? He hasn't really had them and if he did they weren't there long


    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

  7. #22
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,671
    Rep Power
    168

    Re: A trade-down idea so crazy, it just might work!

    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysBackwards View Post
    i agree the only part that i disagree is when you said that Campbell hasnt had the greatest skill players around him. i mean clinton portis,santana moss chris cooley. i mean those are good nfl starters. if campbell cant produce that much with chris cooley and santana moss what makess you think that he can produce with donnie avery and randy mcmichael? i like the idea of bringing in Campbell but just dont agree with the assessment of lack of talent or playmakers around Campbell in Washington.
    Cooley has been out most of this year, and Moss and Portis have been injured frequently as well. Also, I wouldn't call Santana Moss a great receiver by any means.

    In the end, Campbell is unique in that he is 27, has extensive experience as a starter, and has improved each year (passer rating in first 4 seasons as a starter: 76.6, 77.6, 84.3, 87.7).

    I also like the fact that, despite having been sacked 68 times in his last 28 games, he has remained on the field. There's something to be said for a QB who is 6'5, 230 lbs.

    I really think this guy should be on the Rams' radar.

  8. #23
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,133
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: A trade-down idea so crazy, it just might work!

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Cooley has been out most of this year, and Moss and Portis have been injured frequently as well. Also, I wouldn't call Santana Moss a great receiver by any means.

    In the end, Campbell is unique in that he is 27, has extensive experience as a starter, and has improved each year (passer rating in first 4 seasons as a starter: 76.6, 77.6, 84.3, 87.7).

    I also like the fact that, despite having been sacked 68 times in his last 28 games, he has remained on the field. There's something to be said for a QB who is 6'5, 230 lbs.

    I really think this guy should be on the Rams' radar.

    I have to agree with many of the posters that Campbell is not the solution. We are trying to win a super bowl, not just be 8-8.

    If we decide not to go QB in round 1 then we could give Campbell, Vick, or any other free agent a front loaded 2 year deal. Year 1 to be our starter, and year 2 to mentor the 2011 draft pick at QB.

    HERE IS THE ONLY PROBLEM:

    We are going to be drafting top 4 this year, maybe #1 overall, for sure.

    This requires a long term investment on our part. This may be our only chance to ever get the pick of the litter as far as QB's go.

    Next Season we could be improved and picking 13th overall and there not be any QB prospects worth looking at.

    Just think of who will be returning QBs in college football, not too many.
    Snead, Ponder, Devlin?

    AvengerRam, if you had to bet your life on this question, what would your answer be?

    Will Jason Campbell be a starting QB for any team in the 2012 Season? (not next season, the year after).

    ?

    Just playing devil's advocate....but one thing I know for sure is that I feel comfortable that this staff will make the right decisions.

    I also think that if Suh wasn't in this draft, 99% of Rams fans would be on board for a QB in round 1, so it will be an interesting off-season, especially if we can get a key free agent.

  9. #24
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,671
    Rep Power
    168

    Re: A trade-down idea so crazy, it just might work!

    I don't see why Campbell could not be a starting QB in 2012. He'll be about 30 then, which is not even close to past the prime years of a QB. I think the key is for him to get in the right system for his skills.

    I will say this... if the Rams could sign Campbell as a FA and still get Suh in the first round and a WR in Round 2 (how about Demaryius Thomas from GaTech?), I would say that would be a nice start to the offseason.

  10. #25
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,133
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: A trade-down idea so crazy, it just might work!

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't see why Campbell could not be a starting QB in 2012. He'll be about 30 then, which is not even close to past the prime years of a QB. I think the key is for him to get in the right system for his skills.

    I will say this... if the Rams could sign Campbell as a FA and still get Suh in the first round and a WR in Round 2 (how about Demaryius Thomas from GaTech?), I would say that would be a nice start to the offseason.

    Yeah, but if we trade down to Redskins we are not getting Suh.

    He will be gone and we would end up with someone like Jerry Hughes or the 3rd or 4th QB taken. That may not be the best thing for our future.

  11. #26
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,362
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: A trade-down idea so crazy, it just might work!

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You think that Campbell would not be enough compensation for the Rams to move down 4-5 spots?

    Um.... yeah.... I'm going to have to disagree with you there, Sparky.
    To move down 5 spots in the draft from 3rd to 8th is worth 800 points via the Trade Value Chart. That means you have just valued Jason Campbell as a mid 1st round talent. That's basically wasting a 1st round pick on a guy who is likely to be a free agent if we don't make the trade.

    Campbell is a rising talent in the NFL but he's not worthy of a 1st round pick to make sure we get him before he becomes a free agent.

  12. #27
    viper's Avatar
    viper is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,680
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: A trade-down idea so crazy, it just might work!

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't see why Campbell could not be a starting QB in 2012. He'll be about 30 then, which is not even close to past the prime years of a QB. I think the key is for him to get in the right system for his skills.

    I will say this... if the Rams could sign Campbell as a FA and still get Suh in the first round and a WR in Round 2 (how about Demaryius Thomas from GaTech?), I would say that would be a nice start to the offseason.
    I'm sure Jason Campbell would be able to come in and provide some energy and mobility for the Rams for several years and could possibly even get us to the playoffs, eventually. During that time we could try to draft, trade or pick up via free agency our franchise QB of the future.

    That may not be such a bad way to go, especially if we could pick him up as a free agent, draft Suh in the 1st and pick up a top receiver in the second or in FA as you mentioned.

    My problem is I want Suh AND our franchise qB of the future this offseason. Anybody else have that problem?

    I wonder if Joe Montana is getting tired of the diner thing. Hey, Brett Favre has retired like 4 times. Montana has only retired once! Maybe he'd like to be our stop gap QB.

  13. #28
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,362
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: A trade-down idea so crazy, it just might work!

    IF you pick up a Campbell, T. Jackson or Orton as a free agent, you could pick your franchise QB later. You could pick up a guy like McCoy, Pike or Mallett in the 3rd round and let them develop for 2 years (at a reasonable price tag) as you improve the rest of the team. If the QB you try and develop doesn't pan out, maybe you have Null.

  14. #29
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,671
    Rep Power
    168

    Re: A trade-down idea so crazy, it just might work!

    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    To move down 5 spots in the draft from 3rd to 8th is worth 800 points via the Trade Value Chart. That means you have just valued Jason Campbell as a mid 1st round talent. That's basically wasting a 1st round pick on a guy who is likely to be a free agent if we don't make the trade.

    Campbell is a rising talent in the NFL but he's not worthy of a 1st round pick to make sure we get him before he becomes a free agent.
    To be precise, according to the Trade Value Chart, going trading the #3 pick for Campbell and the #8 pick would be the equivalent of giving up the #21 pick for Campbell.

    The premise here is that the Redskins lock up Campbell as an RFA, setting the compensation amount at a first rounder. The Rams would obviously not give up the #3 pick for Campbell alone, so the deal I suggest would be an alternative.

    I agree that if Campbell was a UFA then the trade would be unnecesary, though the Rams might then get in a bidding war.

  15. #30
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,133
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: A trade-down idea so crazy, it just might work!

    [QUOTE=AvengerRam;320497]To be precise, according to the Trade Value Chart, going trading the #3 pick for Campbell and the #8 pick would be the equivalent of giving up the #21 pick for Campbell.QUOTE]


    But if that is this case, then I think you have to consider that we could also trade back into the first round and get someone that slipped (the way Brady Quinn was taken).

    The more I look at the draft, the more it seems NOT to be the problem.

    We really need to sign 2 impact free agents that can start so we aren't trying to fill 5 or 6 major wholes with 3 draft picks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Doing The Dirty Work
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -08-13-2009, 01:13 PM
  2. Trade up not down?
    By QRAM24 in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -04-08-2009, 10:40 AM
  3. Jim Thomas Chat --March 25
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -03-25-2008, 06:58 PM
  4. Gordo Live
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -03-17-2008, 07:59 PM
  5. Johnson open to trade out of Arizona
    By DJRamFan in forum OTHER SPORTS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -07-12-2004, 08:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •