Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: A trade-down idea so crazy, it just might work!

Until this thread I didn't realize that Campbell was so obviously worthy of 1st round value to get him. The Redskins would be using the #8 pick to acquire his replacement and yet the Rams would basically be spending the 21st pick in the first round to get him. That's rather odd valuations.

What are the odds Jason Campbell becomes a pro-bowler? If you are investing 1st round value, I'd like to think at some point he'd be significantly better than Kyle Orton who you don't have to give away a draft pick (essentially) to add to the roster.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Right now, Campbell has a higher passer rating than Jay Cutler, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Matt Hasselbeck and Carson Palmer.

Those are all QBs who have started playoff games in the past or will be this year.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Um... how should I put this....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Explain. Is it the character issues or the negative media attention that it would cause or is it that he hasn't started at QB since 2006. I would still prefer him over Jason Campbell. Vick has had success in this league and has lead good offenses in the past. Campbell hasn't done anything to show that he can win in this league. He runs an offense right now that has only scored over 20 points 3 times this season and is 26th in the NFL in scoring.

I don't understand trading down from the opportunity to get an impact player like Suh or maybe a franchise QB in order to get a QB that hasn't had any success when he has been surrounded by a team with good playmakers on offense and a good defense.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Tavaris Jackson has an even higher QB rating (last year it was 94ish and this year is a non-relevant 101 in limited play). If all you are going to look at is QB rating and ignore everything else like actually doing what it takes to win games, why not just sign Jackson as a likely free agent? Higher QB rating and he actually wins games occasionally.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Listen we should re-build our team and get our own Franchise QB. Someone that Billy D, Spags and company scout highly

Not some other team's failed franchise QB. It's time to make a statement about the direction our franchise is going not time to get a player that an opposing team does not like

Also here is the biggest flaw in this move. This is basically from the patriots "if you can't beat em; get em" Wes Welker played for the phins and the pats could never cover him so they went and traded for him. To put him down light he suxed vs. the Rams D.

Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    Explain. Is it the character issues or the negative media attention that it would cause or is it that he hasn't started at QB since 2006.
    More than any of those things, it is because I don't think he's a good QB.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell
    Tavaris Jackson has an even higher QB rating (last year it was 94ish and this year is a non-relevant 101 in limited play). If all you are going to look at is QB rating and ignore everything else like actually doing what it takes to win games, why not just sign Jackson as a likely free agent? Higher QB rating and he actually wins games occasionally.
    Jackson had a rating around 95 in 5 starts and 4 relief appearances last year. In the previous year, when he was the starter for 12 games, he had a rating of 70.

I think Campbell has more potential than Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    some other team's failed franchise QB.
    I don't see how a QB with a passer rating of 87 is a "failed" anything. Is he a "franchise" QB... who knows? Right now, though, he looks more like a franchise QB than either Mark Sanchez or Matthew Stafford.

Also here is the biggest flaw in this move. This is basically from the patriots "if you can't beat em; get em" Wes Welker played for the phins and the pats could never cover him so they went and traded for him. To put him down light he suxed vs. the Rams D.
    Seems like you contradicted yourself there.

Look... if you don't like Campbell, fine. I see some potential there, and if acquiring him would mean that the Rams could afford to get a top notch DL and a WR in Round 2 (or vice versa), I think it could be a good overall move.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

people are judging campbell's talent based on what he's done in washington, and i'm not sure if that's fair. he's the kind of big qb that can sell the play action, take a hit, avoid a sack and keep the play alive, has plenty of arm strength and decent accuracy. i've been saying i want a ben roethlisberger-type qb on this team for awhile now, and he could be the guy.

since none of us are really nfl-level talent evaluators i'm just saying i would like our coaching staff and scouts (who have done a very good job the last year or two with evaluating pro talent) to take a look at the guy, that's all.

the other thing is that campbell will probably be a free agent anyways so we might not have to trade...

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Jason Campbell may or may not work out for us. No one knows.

However, I would much rather draft a rookie QB. Not because using such a high pick on a QB "guarantees" great talent, but because I think the Ram's franchise is in serious need of being reborn and rejuvenated.

And what easier way to do that than by grabbing a young QB that the FO likes, and at the same time, grab our future?

By no means does that mean that Clausen, Locker or Bradford will be perennial all-stars.

But, if we do bring one of them in, it gives us a fresh start, and a new face of our franchise that we desperately need.

Also, if we do in fact trade with Washington, there is a 99% chance we will not get Suh. Gerald McCoy? Maybe.

I think it would have been a better idea to have tried to trade Alex Barron, Richie Incognito, and Leonard Little for draft picks this year, because Devaney and the FO supposedly wanted to stockpile draft picks for this year, and has so far only got an extra 5th adn 7th rounder...

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

The problem I have with Campbell is that Redskins fans appear to hold about as much regard for his playing ability as your typical Post Dispatch poster has for Bulger's. That is not a positive sign in my book.

Of course, the 12 INTs this season tend to alarm as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    The problem I have with Campbell is that Redskins fans appear to hold about as much regard for his playing ability as your typical Post Dispatch poster has for Bulger's. That is not a positive sign in my book.
    Right, because typical PD poster is such a great evaluator of talent.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Right, because typical PD poster is such a great evaluator of talent.
    In Campbell's case, this seems to be a fanbase-wide phenomenon. Maybe he'd be a decent pickup for your fantasy team, but he doesn't seem to be a good QB for your reality team.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    In Campbell's case, this seems to be a fanbase-wide phenomenon. Maybe he'd be a decent pickup for your fantasy team, but he doesn't seem to be a good QB for your reality team.
    I think you have to ask yourself, would the fanbase (to the extent that your over-generalization is accurate) have turned on Campbell absent the fact that ownership made it clear that they want someone else (and, need I remind you, ownership is Dan "Not Exactly A Great Judge Of Talent" Snyder).
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-09-2009 at 01:05 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I think the bigger concern for me about Campbell is the fact that the Redskins, who run a West Coast offense under Jim Zorn, have tried to go out and get Jay Cutler and then were rumored to be in the mix for Mark Sanchez. That makes me wonder how good of a fit Campbell really is in a West Coast offense, if the Redskins attempted to find another passer to run their version.

The fact that Campbell is a free agent kind of negates the idea as well, unless there isn't a cap and he becomes a restricted free agent in the process. Then I dunno. I do like the idea of trading down a few spots if Suh isn't there, and then maybe grabbing a Dez Bryant or a different defensive player, but I'm kind of indifferent about Campbell as a fit for us.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I think you have to ask yourself, would the fanbase (to the extent that your over-generalization is accurate) have turned on Campbell absent the fact that ownership made it clear that they want someone else (and, need I remind you, ownership is Dan "Not Exactly A Great Judge Of Talent" Snyder).
    The fanbase probably turned on him because the Redskins offense with Campbell at QB has been ranked 26th and 28th the last 2 seasons. I fail to see what he has done to qualify himself as a good starting QB in the NFL. I don't see why the Rams would go out and get an unsuccessful QB to help turn the franchise around.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast