Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    todd1 is offline Registered User

Trade-Down Possibility?

This may be a little far-fetched, but I'm going to throw it out there. The Jets are said to really like Cutler, but not enough to take him at #4. The Jets do have picks #29 and #35. Does anyone think they might package those 2 picks to move up for Cutler? Would the Rams take that trade, trading down from #11? I don't have one of those handy value charts at my fingertips, so I'm not sure how that would compute. Maybe the Jets would have to throw in a 4th or something to even it out. If the Rams did make that trade, they'd have picks 29, 35, 46 and 77 (at least) on the first day of the draft. With those first 3 picks, we could maybe add guys like Bobby Carpenter, Marcedes Lewis, Kelly Jennings, Daniel Bullocks.

I'm a believer that we need a starting TE, SLB, and FS or CB (in that order) right now. Obviously, that would be one heckuva draft to pull 3 immediate starters, but trading down would be a good move, I think. And I think that has far greater value than keeping the pick and taking Cutler. If we do take Cutler, I might just go ahead and light myself on fire.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Trade-Down Possibility?

I'd take it, move down, get an extra first round pick. There would still be a lot of good players available.

Bobby Carpenter????????
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    I'd take it, move down, get an extra first round pick.
    We wouldn't be getting an extra first round pick, but an extra second round pick.

It's an interesting trade idea, and if the Jets throw in the fourth rounder they got from KC in the Herm Edwards deal, the difference in value is only two points, I think.

But the question is, would the Rams want to trade into the bottom of the first round from 11th overall? That's an 18 slot drop. It's no guarantee at all that Bobby Carpenter is there; he could go as high as 21 to New England or 22 to San Fran, who both need LB help for their 3-4 schemes. In my last mock I have him there, but he's getting a lot of attention in the high 20s.

If I were to make this kind of move, I would think about drafting the following:

1 (29): DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama
    2 (35): Davin Joseph, G, Oklahoma
    2 (44): Best DB available (Daniel Bullocks? Cedric Griffin? Darnell Bing?)

Then in the third round we can look at the tight end position with maybe an Anthony Fasano or David Thomas.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

We wouldn't be getting an extra first round pick, but an extra second round pick.
    Two spots off. Do you think Carpenter is worth the 11th pick? I really like him out of all the LB's. I'm very skeptical about taking another DT in the first round. We really need a solid SLB.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

todd1 is offline Registered User

Yeah, I agree that it's a steep drop from pick #11 to pick #29. But I think this draft is very top-heavy, and all that talent will be gone by the time pick #11 rolls around. But I do think this draft has a lot of solid players, just not worthy of pick #11. This way you could pick up a couple of those guys later in the draft. If not the Jets, maybe trade down with someone else. Unless one of the Elite players falls for some reason.

In my opinion, this would be a great scenario:
    #29 - Jimmy Williams (may be gone, maybe not - slipping in a lot of mocks)
    #35 - Leonard Pope (Manu has been a COMPLETE disaster - the worst starter on the team)
    #46 - Thomas Howard (speed and size combo to round out solid LB corps)

Or this:
    #29 - Marcedes Lewis
    #35 - Kelly Jennings
    #46 - Thomas Howard
    Then in the 3rd round, grab a DT like mcCargo or Rod Wright to add depth to the DT rotation and you have yourself a solid Day 1! I think you have great possibilities in this draft by trading down and adding some picks.
    Last edited by todd1; -04-28-2006 at 05:49 PM.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Are we going to seriously predict how draft day goes when it is 1 day away? Sigh, of course we are.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by todd1
    In my opinion, this would be a great scenario:
    #29 - Jimmy Williams (may be gone, maybe not - slipping in a lot of mocks)
    #35 - Leonard Pope (Manu has been a COMPLETE disaster - the worst starter on the team)
    #46 - Thomas Howard (speed and size combo to round out solid LB corps)
    I do like it. Thomas Howard especially intruiges me. If Williams is of the board, Cromatrie, Ricard Marshall or Jennings are very viable options.

Also, i'm not sure you coulld call Manu the WORST STARTER ON THE TEAM. He has shown solid blocking for and the ability to make big catches in the red-zone occasioally. I agree we need a more productive upgrade, but calling him the Worst starter is unfair.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -04-28-2006 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO
    Are we going to seriously predict how draft day goes when it is 1 day away? Sigh, of course we are.
    What's more pointless - predicting how the draft may play out a day in advance, or reading and responding to a thread about it when you apparently aren't interested in the topic? :tongue:

Goonsroad is offline Registered User

I love the idea. I have been rolling it over for weeks. It seems to be one of the real possibilities of our trade down senarios.

# 29 best TE or OLB
    #35 best TE or CB
    #46 best DT or DE or G

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

This MAY be a moot point. The Jets have a shot at Brick Ferguson, Reggie Bush, or Linehart now.

So, I don't think the Jets will move out of that pick now.

A week ago, the Jets probably thought
    they didn't have a shot in H*ll for Brick Ferguson, Reggie B, or Lienart.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    A week ago, the Jets probably thought
    they didn't have a shot in H*ll for Brick Ferguson, Reggie B, or Lienart.
    Well they had to believe they could get at least one of those four, since only three teams pick in front of them.

I would think the Jets make a move with New Orleans to get up to second overall to take Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by todd1
    If we do take Cutler, I might just go ahead and light myself on fire.
    I'll add my 290 lbs and we can make it a Bon-fire.

One caveat: If the Rams take him with the express purpose of trading him for better value.

Let's say a Bad team (it's key that it be a poor team) is willing to trade us a late 2nd this year and their first next year. There are some poor teams that are optimistic of their improvement. If our assessment is that they're likely to get a top 10 pick next year .. they (the team interested in Cutler) could deal with a team that has two 2nds this year or give us their own 2nd this year and the first next year. There is a history of teams willilng to give significantly more from next year's draft than the current year. I think the Redskins have made a living out of doing this.

And Quarterback's are in a league of their own when it comes to value. I can seriously see some teams really wanting Huff, Hawk, or Brick early in this year.. But Really liking Cutler at #11 - There's a dearth of QBs in this league.

The Jet's need a QB - no? ;; Green Bay - Aren't they in need of a QB of the future. ;; If the Raiders take Huff, are they intrigued by Cutler? Davis is a risk taker and he's traded away number 1's before. I'd like to
    take the Raider's number 1 next year - guaranteed to be in the Top 10 next year (IMO) - and somehing in the 2nd round this year from them, no matter how they aquire it.

How about Detroit? Matt Millen is under the gun like no other. What if he and Martz are High on Cutler, but Millen feels that he need immediate production from that #9 - this year. They can take Bunkley or Huff at #9 and still secure Cutler with next year's first and some kind of 2nd this year. If Detroit likes Cutler, I think they would do that trade.
    However, I think the Jets and Raiders are more likely to have a lower pick.
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -04-28-2006 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Well they had to believe they could get at least one of those four, since only three teams pick in front of them.
    If the Jets thought the draft would most likely play out as with
    Bush to Texas
    Brick to N.O.
    Matt Lienart to Titans

They my statement, "A week ago, the Jets probably thought
    they didn't have a shot in H*ll for Brick Ferguson, Reggie B, or Lienart",
    would, indeed, be true.
    Last edited by Tony Soprano; -04-28-2006 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    If the Jets thought the draft would most likely play out as with
    Bush to Texas
    Brick to N.O.
    Matt Lienart to Titans

They my statement would, indeed, be true.
    Ha, for some reason I read Brick Ferguson as two players. My bad.

Like me, you are excited about the draft!

Get this, my wife wants me to drive her an hour to a Nursery and look at TREEs tomorrow.

I bought some seafood tonight and I'm making it late and I'm extremely confident it's going to make me very ill.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast