4. WR

5. OC

5. OT

5. DE

6. S

7. KR

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Trade Idea

I still don't agree with taking Beason, especially if it involves trading away a second and third to do so. You're essentially trading away the rest of our first day for a prospect who likely does not fit what we need.

Country is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I still don't agree with taking Beason, especially if it involves trading away a second and third to do so. You're essentially trading away the rest of our first day for a prospect who likely does not fit what we need.
    We disagree, I feel that Beason has the ability to play SLB just like D.J Williams does for the Broncos. He is the 2nd biggest 1st or 2nd round ranked LB in teh draft behind David Harris of MIchigan.

236lbs. is huge for a LB in this draft Pat Willis is not as big or as fast.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

the problem is we arent just one or two players away, so cannot really afford to trade away those picks.

Country is offline Registered User

We had so many picks last year I don't think we need as many this year. In my opinion we are 3 players away from being a contender

DT
    DE
    OLB/MLB

We don't need to draft all three because as our 3rd round showed last year it takes time.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

We disagree, I feel that Beason has the ability to play SLB just like D.J Williams does for the Broncos. He is the 2nd biggest 1st or 2nd round ranked LB in teh draft behind David Harris of MIchigan.
    In that case, how about keeping our picks, use the 2nd on Harris and the 3rd on BPA.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post

236lbs. is huge for a LB in this draft Pat Willis is not as big or as fast.
    Just because DJ Williams plays SAM linebacker for Denver doesn't mean every short linebacker can suddenly do it. You have to look at the guy's strengths and what he does well on the field to make your determination.

And in my opinion, the bottom line is his height is a concern when he's going to lining up across from tight ends and covering them on occasion. Six times a year at SLB he'll be lining up against Leonard Pope (6'8"), Jerramy Stevens (6'7"), and Vernon Davis (6'3"). Even knowing that Beason is an athletic 'backer, I don't like any of those match-ups for us for obvious reasons.

Furthermore, I'm not convinced he has the kind of strength you need to consistently get through blocks on the strong side of the line. To me, he would be a much better fit on the weak side where he could utilize his athleticism to run around and make plays in space as opposed to playing on the strong side where he's basically in a coverage mismatch every single week and will have to sift through blocks in order to make plays.

BTW, a couple of additional notes. Sporting News and Great Blue North have Beason listed at 225, and Beason doesn't appear in Kiper's Top Five OLB rankings. Take it for what it's worth, but I don't see much to support a case that he's the linebacker we need to pursue.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

When I made that post about Jon Beason being a beast in Miami, don't take it for much....Just because he had a good season doesn't automatically make him a need for us, as Nick said, you have too look at his height and weight, Beason is a very atletic linebacker, but we don't spend a 1st rounder on him, I love the dude, he played for the U and I would love to have him, but only in the 2nd or 3rd round, and even 13 in the 2nd may be a little high, although he is small, I have a feeling he is going to be BIG in the nfl. But he does not fit our needs right now, so unless he is there in 2nd or 3rd, don't count on grabbing him, I like the idea though
    Built RAM tough

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

he sounds like a Robert Thomas type...