View Poll Results: To move up, or not to move up.

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Take Smith/Monroe and jump back to get Maualuga/Laurinaitis

11 22.92%
  • Take Curry and jump up to get Beatty

17 35.42%
  • Don't trade the pick's at all.

20 41.67%

Thread: Trade Idea

jbell15 Guest

Trade Idea

Ok, everyone knows that philly loves to deal their first round picks to get more picks. Say we take Monroe/Smith, and Maualuga or Lauranaitis is sitting there at 28. According to the trade value chart, it would cost us a second and a fourth to move up and nab one of them. do we give up the 2nd and 4th to move up and do it?
    or
    If we take Curry, and Beatty is sitting there at 28, do we jump up to 28 and take him?
    I say we give up the 4th either way. If we can come out of the draft with a combo of Monroe/Smith and Maualuga/Lauranaitis or Curry/Beatty, i think we have to jump ALL over that.

SJacks039 Guest

Re: Trade Idea

I like it.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Well...it depends really. In my talent in the nfl draft thread I had the data n stuff in there, and ironically a point was made that I was going to address that I never got around. But that point was...that its not surprising that 40-50% of starters in the nfl come from the first 3 rounds...that being said, if its our aim in this draft to get as many starters as possible would be to "trade away" those lower level picks to have a shot at an additional "starter", unless we view depth...as it is now...I feel starters are the more pressing need because we need to compete vs having enough depth for a playoff run...Make the trade!

larams1980 Guest

What about curry/maualuga.. Thats a nice group of linebackers. Never happen though

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Philadelphia have enough needs themselves that they're going to want to use the picks they have at the back of the first. They are in ideal position to fill two of their greatest needs in Offensive Tackle and Tight End and there simply is no reason to trade back when you could have Pettigrew at 21 and Beatty at 28. If they trade back from either of those picks, they risk losing those players or others of equal value who fill similar needs.

Unless Oher falls to them at 21, Atlanta takes Pettigrew at 24 and both Moreno and Wells have been selected, I really don't see this happening. I've elected not to vote in the Poll for this reason, not that I wouldn't want us to string together a trade up if it meant landing Laurinaitis or Maualuga.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -04-01-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Oh, but trading back from 28 to 35 isn't such a big leap. I think it would depend a lot on whether any specific player really appealed to them at 28. Looking at the players that are likely to be available when we pick in the 2nd round, it seems like there should be a lot of talent still on the board. It's quite possible that all of the safeties could still be on the board at that point, maybe one of the better runningbacks, perhaps a defensive tackle...If they want to replace L.J. Smith, they might want a better receiving threat than Pettigrew, such as Shawn Nelson, who would likely be available in the second, as well.

I think this seems like one of the more likely trade scenarios because the Eagles will have already had the chance to address at least one need area and might see the chance to move down as an opportunity to take the player they have targeted for a lower price.

jbell15 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Philadelphia have enough needs themselves that they're going to want to use the picks they have at the back of the first. They are in ideal position to fill two of their greatest needs in Offensive Tackle and Tight End and there simply is no reason to trade back when you could have Pettigrew at 21 and Beatty at 28. If they trade back from either of those picks, they risk losing those players or others of equal value who fill similar needs.

Unless Oher falls to them at 21, Atlanta takes Pettigrew at 24 and both Moreno and Wells have been selected, I really don't see this happening. I've elected not to vote in the Poll for this reason, not that I wouldn't want us to string together a trade up if it meant landing Laurinaitis or Maualuga.
    Philadelphia is notoriously cheap, and their reasoning for moving out of the first is just that. They don't want to pay two first round picks. Correct me if i'm wrong guys, but isn't an early second round pick significantly cheaper than a late first?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I say dont trade. It may cost next years first rounder, which is bad idea, because we aren't that close to winning it all, so we shouldn't mortgage the future. We also still would have holes at WR and NT so we need all the picks we can get. I don't think Lauranatis or Mauluga are the elite kind of guys we would feal the need to have to trade up for. Now if there is an elite prospect that falls, we would have to seriously consider some things.

If we had the picks the Falcons had last year when they traded up for Sam Baker I would be all for it, but we obviously don't.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

The only way i want Rams to trade with Philly is to trade down give the #2 pick for there 2 picks in the 1st round ,2 of there 4th rd picks (They have 4) a 2nd rounder next year in the 2010 draft.. It still dosen't come close on the trade value chart.

Mooselini Guest

Don't trade.

You want an OT? Take Monroe or Smith in round one.

You want a MLB? Take McKillop in round three.

Still have our second pick to use.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

That's why I'd want Philly to give up there entire draft almost for the 2nd pick. I figured if I asked for the moon they wouldn't want to trade.

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Don't trade.

You want an OT? Take Monroe or Smith in round one.

You want a MLB? Take McKillop in round three.

Still have our second pick to use.
    I agree with your thinking, but we may have to trade back into the later part of round 2 to snag McKillop. What is your thinking of Antonio Appleby from VA? He had Al Groh as a college coach and Groh was the LB coach under Parcells. Appleby is big at 6'4" and has respectable speed (4.75 in the 40). I think he may be a pleasant surprise, if we draft him.

Plus Spags has good experience with MLB's whose first name is Antonio

Go Rams!