MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

This Trade Scenario Could Benefit Th Rams

'BOYS TO MAKE A DEAL WITH THE FINS?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen suggested during a special edition of Sunday NFL Countdown that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is eyeing the possibility of swinging a trade with the Dolphins for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Such a deal would allow the 'Boys to bag running back Darren McFadden, who played college football at Jones' alma mater of Arkansas.

Per Mort, any such deal would have to include the rights to Cowboys running back Marion Barber, who is slated to be a restricted free agent. To make it happen, the Cowboys would have to work out a sign-and-trade deal before Barber gets a chance to ink an offer sheet that would force the Cowboys to match the terms or let him go in exchange for compensation. Thus, the safest bet for the 'Boys would be to tender Barber at the highest possible level, which would force any team that signs him to give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick. Those extra picks then could be used to sweeten the pot for the top spot in the draft.

And it's clear that the Cowboys are going to have to find a way to enhance the two first-rounders that they can offer up for the No. 1 pick. Under the revised draft order, the Cowboys pick at No. 22 (from Cleveland) and at No. 28. Under the trade chart, the No. 22 overall pick is worth 780 points and the No. 28 selection is worth 660 points. The No. 1 selection has a value of 3,000 points; thus, the Cowboys would be a whopping 1,560 points short.

Though the trade chart arguably needs to be adjusted to reflect the fact that the enormous financial investment that is now required when using the top pick makes the prospects of a move up even more fraught with risk, the Fins could justify the 1,560-point gap by placing that value on Barber, who coupled with Ronnie Brown could give Miami a deadly one-two punch in the backfield.

Some readers think that the framework for a deal is already in place, and was part of the unspoken understanding that allowed the Dolphins to have their way with the Dallas front office and coaching staff. If that's true it wouldn't surprise us. Jones surely covets McFadden, and our guess is that he is willing to do whatever is necessary to get him.

This is an intriguing prospect. We certainly would have our choice of the top defensive players if this were to occur. If the Rams by draft time covet a player other than Long or Dorsey we could drop down a bit and garner another high 1st day pick if another top ten (preferably top 5) team wants to move up and grab either guy. Any thoughts on what implications a Fins / Dallas trade would have for the Rams .. ??
    Last edited by Nick; -01-29-2008 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Please do not link to other Rams message boards

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: This Trade Scenario Could Benefit Th Rams

It would mean Chris Long in St.Louis without the baggage of lost draft picks for trading up, or the stigma associated with trading down and (potentially, considering it is OUR FO) finding poor value.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

This would definitely be a good thing for the Rams. Here's to hoping.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Well if Dallas trades down, we dont have to worry about the phins snagging Long from us.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I was thinking and I argued against us doing this before but what if the Rams got Jared Allen in free agency and eliminated the need for a defensive end at least for now. Would it be stupid for us to draft Mcfadden with the 1st pick? I have nothing against Jackson and am probably one of his biggest fans and I defend him all the time. If we are able to fill a few of our needs in free agency like o-line and d-line we could have the luxury of taking the best player available even though it might not be a need. I know we drafted Leonard but he doesnt impress me as a rb. Just throwing this out there, I dont really want or think it would happen but it would give us a nice albeit expensive two headed monster for next year.
    Just Fix It

shower beers is offline Registered User

Well, we would risk a big money draft pick over someone who has proven to be one of the top backs in the league, for one.

Second, I can't see the KC just letting Allen go. Defensive Ends are a hot commodity in the league right now, and are hard to come by.

About the trade...I just can't see something like this happening, unless a third team is involved. It's just too much to give to the Dolphins that the Cowboys don't have.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

We need to focus on the trenches. We all saw the results of last seasons injury riddled line/lines.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I was thinking and I argued against us doing this before but what if the Rams got Jared Allen in free agency and eliminated the need for a defensive end at least for now. Would it be stupid for us to draft Mcfadden with the 1st pick? I have nothing against Jackson and am probably one of his biggest fans and I defend him all the time. If we are able to fill a few of our needs in free agency like o-line and d-line we could have the luxury of taking the best player available even though it might not be a need. I know we drafted Leonard but he doesnt impress me as a rb. Just throwing this out there, I dont really want or think it would happen but it would give us a nice albeit expensive two headed monster for next year.
    From a salary cap perspective, you just cannot have two running backs each making $8M/year or whatever on your roster. If we drafted McFadden, we'd either have to trade or release Jackson, which IMO would be an awful, awful move.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    From a salary cap perspective, you just cannot have two running backs each making $8M/year or whatever on your roster. If we drafted McFadden, we'd either have to trade or release Jackson, which IMO would be an awful, awful move.
    You know I just re-read my post and can't believe I wrote that last night. I really dont want us to do that and even if we did land Allen in free agency it would still benefit us to draft Chris Long because of Little's age. We dont need another running back and one that will cost a fortune at that. Man now I'm arguing with myself this season really has taken it's toll.:x
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    If Miami trades out, which appears likely, McFadden will be gone when we pick, as from everything I have read, Jerry Jones covets McFadden in a big way .. Parcells will get the guy he wants who at this juncture is certainly no gamble: Marion Barber who will become the next Curtis Martin for the Tuna ..

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Parcells will get the guy he wants who at this juncture is certainly no gamble: Marion Barber who will become the next Curtis Martin for the Tuna ..
    But then what happens to Ronnie Brown? He was the NFL's leading rusher before he got hurt, not to mention the number 2 overall a few years back with a large salary.

Unless he's planning to work the system like Brown and Caddilac Williams did in Auburn. Run dominated team with two very talented backs. Could be an insteresting match.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    But then what happens to Ronnie Brown? He was the NFL's leading rusher before he got hurt, not to mention the number 2 overall a few years back with a large salary.

Unless he's planning to work the system like Brown and Caddilac Williams did in Auburn. Run dominated team with two very talented backs. Could be an insteresting match.
    Fair question, and I don't pretend to know the answer. I do know that Bill likes to know what's in a player's head and heart. He likes certain guys and doesn't like others. I have no idea how he feels about Ronnie. (While we're at it, anybody know what's going on with Ricky Williams?) I do believe Bill knows what he would have with Barber. Since Parcells has complete control of the purse strings, he'll likely try and keep both guys unless he senses some character flaw in Ronnie. Should be interesting to watch this play out ..