Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    rampete is offline Registered User

Re: Trading up for Hawk

...but I don't see any where we'd have to stick a second or third round pick in as a starter.
    you're right...the rams FO don't necessarily "have to" find a starter from those picks...

but...nfl FOs love the 2nd and 3rd round slots because they don't cost the owners a fortune to sign and are hopeful that some of them will pan out better than most 1st rounders...in other words, they "hope" to luck out with those picks in finding gems...and in this draft there may very well be some hidden gems in those rounds...

having said that, i wouldn't mind seeing us use the 2nd rounder to move up to the #5 spot, if greenbay is willing to move down so far, to have a chance at hawk, davis or even huff...the reason being, the rams FO has had a not-so-promising draft history with the 2nd round picks:

2005 bartell
    2004 traded to NO
    2003 tinoisamoa
    2002 t. fisher
    2001 polley
    2000 shepherd
    1999 bly
    1998 holcombe

only bly, polley, fisher and tinoisamoa contributed significantly in their first year...and only bly has reached
    the probowl...

the upcoming draft may very well be one of the best in many years and the chances are good that another bly, tinoisamoa or a witherspoon (3rd rd.) can be had...

but the chances of landing a true blue chipper may not come around too often at this position in the draft, if we expect linehan and the rams to contend for the playoffs year in and year out...

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Alot more than its worth.

You don't want to trade up for Hawk but u want to trade up to the same spot for Vernon Davis?

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams_fan81
    You don't want to trade up for Hawk but u want to trade up to the same spot for Vernon Davis?
    That was in a mock draft I made and yes.
    RamsFan16

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    That was in a mock draft I made and yes.
    That would be a foolish move.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I will tell you right now. I'd be very tempted to give up a first and second to move up and take Hawk. Heck, I'd also be tempted to either give Buffalo a first and third for their first and maybe a fifth to move up to #8 to take Huff.

We have nine picks in this draft. Losing one of them to move up and get a great prospect isn't going to drastically hinder our ability to improve this team, IMO. If spending two of nine picks in this draft means we can move up and grab Hawk, an instant starter at SLB, I'd be hard pressed to turn it down.
    That's what I'm talking about !!! If we were Detroit or Buffalo - It would be an easy NO. But, we're NOT.
    We need Defensive help and looking at this draft, right around the 11 region, the quality really drops off.

I FULLY support going up to get Hawk or Huff. On the other side of that equation, if Hawk, Huff, and Ngata are gone, I think we need to trade out (trade down) of that #11 spot.

The slow-developing guys, that have trouble transitioning, by the time they can contribute nicely - they leave in Free Agency. This makes the blue chips guys that can come in produce and contribute that much more valuable.

/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12