Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Trent Richardson to the Rams could make a lot of sense.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Trent Richardson to the Rams could make a lot of sense.

My first choice at #6: Justin Blackmon.
    My second choice at #6: Morris Claiborne.

But if they're both gone, its hardly a problem.

Trent Richardson is a VERY viable option.

Yes, we have Steven Jackson.
    Yes, great RBs often are selected much later in the draft.

But, if Richardson is as elite a prospect as I believe him to be (think Adrian Peterson level), the Rams could do a lot worse.

Taking TRich would give the Rams a 1-2 punch at RB that would rival any team in the league. And, in 2-3 years, when SJax is no longer able to carry the load, the Rams would have a top back to take his place.

Ultimately, this is a BPA analysis. Don't reach for a B+ WR, CB or OT if there is an A level RB.

Having him and SJax would be a great problem to have.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Trent Richardson to the Rams could make a lot of sense.

i`m leaning more towards him now since the trade for extra picks,thought we had too many holes to take a RB in the first this year before it was made.
    jsimcox likes this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Considering Richardson is what... 20 now? 21 when the season starts? I'm tending to agree with this pick if both those guys are gone. He's young enough that a couple years as a backup wont devalue him long term as a running back. If he were a couple years older I'd pass.
    ManofGod likes this.

viper is offline Registered User

I wasn't too excited about the prospect of taking Richardson up until now. I have always been and still remain a strong proponent of taking Blackmon if he is available and Claiborne if he isn't. But, the more I think about it the more I am warming up to the idea of taking Richardson if that is the way the chips fall. SJ is still the man but, he is on the down hill side of his career. It would be good to have his heir apparent in place sooner than later. It would provide a good one-two punch in our running game and insurance in case Jackson gets injured. It does have some appeal to it if that's the way it turns out. If so, I could get on board with that.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd be more than happy to "settle" for Richardson, who I believe would be a big asset to the Rams now, and in the future. I'll take the two firsts and second that go along with that settlement as well.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

I dismissed this idea since washington got involved with the #2 but now I'm kinda looking a bit differently... God knows how much I love Mr. 39 Steven Jackson, just like I loved Mr. Marshall Faulk, but Richardson would be the next 10 year option of maintaining the Rams tradition of great RB's alive.
    Fettmaster and Tampa_Ram like this.

Rammed is offline Registered User

I'm all for this scenario, only way I wouldn't pull the trigger is when some team wants to move up for him or any other player. As I have been clamoring for some time, my ideal scenario would be trade with Redskins and then with the bengals. Part one has come true, now the second part!
    This is THE year to stockpile picks and set a real step towards a better future. Other than previous 'turn arounds' and new regimes since GSOTera we would start from the proper basis: build through the draft.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

If WR Blackmon, OT Kalil, and CB Blaiborne are gone.

Sorry, I like Trent Richardson Alot, but not at six. I would rather trade down again. I don't want Rams to go past K.C. at eleven. Unles the price is to great and we could get a bunch of draft picks from the division rivals. Rams need help at DT. Both Rams starting DT's are over thirty.

The players I like that could be available at Eleven:
    1. Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame
    2. Fletcher Cox DT Mississippi State
    3. Michael brockers DT LSU
    4. Jonathon Martin OT Stanford
    5. Trent Richardson RB Alabama
    6. Dontari Poe DT Memphis
    7. Riely Reif OT Iowa
    8. Stephen Hill WR Georgia Tech.
    The Rams have to many needs to draft a backup RB at number six in the draft. This is a pass first league.

I thought Davaney and Spags were right build from the lines out. Ram biggest need in order WR, DT, OLB, OT, CB and G. Then back up RB, DT, WR and anything on O-line.
    ZiaRam likes this.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Not only do I think this is possible, I think there is a good chance that this is the route that we end up going down. I don't know if there are 2 coaches in the league right now who love to run the ball more than Jeff Fisher and Brian Schottenheimer. If you recall, one of the first things Schotty said when he was hired was that "the two back system is coming to St. Louis". Well, right now we only have one back. And Fisher hasn't been afraid to spend high picks on running backs in the past. In fact, Chris Johnson was considered a reach when he was drafted, so thats evidence to me of the kind of importance Fisher places on running backs. If Richardson really is the best thing since Adrian Peterson, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he ends up being the guy at #6.
    ManofGod likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not crazy about the value of a running back with the sixth overall pick, but if Blackmon and Claiborne are off the board, Richardson is more appealing than a number of other available prospects IMO. For me, barring another trade down, it would probably be between Richardson and the highest rated defensive tackle on the board.
    ZiaRam likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm not crazy about the value of a running back with the sixth overall pick, but if Blackmon and Claiborne are off the board, Richardson is more appealing than a number of other available prospects IMO. For me, barring another trade down, it would probably be between Richardson and the highest rated defensive tackle on the board.
    The problem there is that, right now, there isn't a DT in the draft that I'd give a Top 10 grade to.

For those suggesting another trade down, that is definitely a possibility, though it would have to be with a team ready to part with a second round pick (giving the Rams 3 to work with!)
    ZiaRam likes this.

LionsGuy is offline Registered User

Not to sound like im some expert or anything, but I've had Washington trading with the Rams for over 3 months now, and because of that I had/have the Rams taking Richardson. I believe, depending on who is available, that he most likely will be the BPA at that point, is definetly a top talent, and provides the Rams with a solid RB to share carries with Jackson and eventually be the full time replacement.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

If Richardson is the best player left then it's not the end of the world if we take him. I'm not a fan of taking a RB that high, so he would have to be rated much higher than any other player. I think he could be.

For me a trade down would have to be at least a swap of a 1st rounder and either a 3rd and 1st next year OR a 2nd and 2nd next year. Moving down for the sake of it like the Browns do is stupid. If Blackmon and Claiborne are gone, having 3 firsts next year would make it hurt a lot less. Hello David Amerson, Marcus Lattimore, and Marquess Wilson.

Its too bad Brockers looked like the least athletically gifted DT at the combine. If he had a good week he would easily be worth that pick. Poe is really not worth the pick with his inconsistent play, despite his upside and athleticism. Cox might be the highest rated DT, and its hard to imagine taking him at 6.

I'm not too high on Floyd, but if he's rated highly and the Rams can't trade, getting a WR isn't a bad idea. DeCastro or Glenn wouldn't bother me either since I think highly of both, even though those are reaches.

The formula is talent x upside x athleticism x value. Richardson is horrible value because of his position, but would be by far the best player available. The rest are reaches, but might be better value. I really, really hope Claiborne or Blackmon are there at 6. If not, a good trade would give us the player we would have reached for anyways plus extra picks.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

IMO, if he's the best player available, you take him. Who cares about the value of the position? It's not like you'll be paying a fortune in a rookie contract.

If you don't pick him at six, someone else will.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Thumbs up Re: Trent Richardson to the Rams could make a lot of sense.

I would be more than alright with this

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast