Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Trent Richardson to the Rams could make a lot of sense.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Re: Trent Richardson to the Rams could make a lot of sense.

I would be in the trade down camp, should this scenario come to fruition. I believe there are several really good backs to be had later in the draft. And for that reason I think I'd prefer Floyd or the top DT after a trade down.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

You guys know that I am a bottom line kind of guy. Since we have traded down & have gained extra pics, and with this new coaching staff we need to start building through the draft now more than ever. In the past we've been handicapped by SJ when we gets hurt on a yearly basis. This trend must stop, and we should not reach for an unproven product nor a "project", we should grab a guy that can be a complete back that can be a game changer if available. We can't take the #2 guy, we have to go #1 since we now have the leverage to do so. We all know that Richardson is far beyond L. Miller so if he is there at #6 and the other guys are off the board, then you pull the trigger and give the Rams something we've lacked for far too long, which is a 1-2 punch.
    ZiaRam likes this.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    IMO, if he's the best player available, you take him. Who cares about the value of the position? It's not like you'll be paying a fortune in a rookie contract.
    Its about value because he might only get 10 touches a game his first two years. A player with a worse rating than Richardson might play more and cause more impact in a game (Brockers for example). Its why Ingram went in the 20s last year.

Teams like Cleveland, Tampa, and Cincinnati (others too) need a lead back workhouse type. He's more valuable to a team like that than he is to us. Hopefully he goes to one of those two teams above us. While Richardson is more talented than every other back in the draft, for the amount of work they are going to get per game he is not that much more valuable to us than guys like David Wilson, Lamar Miller, or Doug Wilson.

While it isn't very expensive, pick 6 will probably cost 4 years 17 million. That would be around 11 million in our backfield in 2 players, more than all the receivers and tight ends on our roster. Doug Wilson, if picked with Washington's 2nd rounder, would cost 4 years 4.5 million.

If you don't pick him at six, someone else will.
    That's probably the best option assuming Blackmon and Claiborne are gone. If either of those players dropped to 6 I wouldn't trade unless it was a monumental deal. I would easily trade 6 if Richardson was there and a good deal was offered. Richardson is just as good, if not better, than the other two players. Its the way the NFL is now.
    If, for example, Cincinnati trades 17 and a second rounder and a first next year (similar to the Cleveland trade last year) because they love Richardson and think he will put their team over the top, that would be much more valuable than Richardson. This would be much lower then I would want the Rams to go, but would land them two decent players and a good player next year.
    Cordy Glenn, Stephen Gilmore, and Jelani Jenkins OR Dre Kirpatrick, David Wilson, and Barrett Jones are better for the team than Richardson.
    Even Brockers, Poe, Cox, Floyd, DeCastro, or Reiff might be better for the team than Richardson. Even if he is better than all of those players. Its the conundrum of being at 6.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

This will all depend on the free agency, I'd personally would be more than happy to get Richardson at #6 because it fits well in Schotty's system that runs a one-two punch backfield.
    ManofGod likes this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I've been a huge fan of Richardson, and had a couple mocks with us going his way if Blackmon was unavailable.

Richardson is the real deal. He has speed, size, strength, quickness, elusiveness, vision, and intelligence.

IMO, he will be a better back than Jackson.

If we cannot trade down, I wouldn't mind one bit locking up our next RB for the next decade.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I've been a huge fan of Richardson, and had a couple mocks with us going his way if Blackmon was unavailable.

Richardson is the real deal. He has speed, size, strength, quickness, elusiveness, vision, and intelligence.

IMO, he will be a better back than Jackson.

If we cannot trade down, I wouldn't mind one bit locking up our next RB for the next decade.
    That's pretty high praise considering Jackson is the Rams all-time leading rusher. If turned out to be the case, he is immediately Option 1A and I would run to the podium with the card.
    ZiaRam likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

IMO, if he's the best player available, you take him. Who cares about the value of the position? It's not like you'll be paying a fortune in a rookie contract.

I always ask myself this question with the draft in mind.? Which player in the draft do you believe has the best chance of being a star, regardless of position. In my opinion, Trent Richardson is one of those rare players, who definitely fits the bill at his position.? Im not sure if I can say this, about the some of the other top players in this draft.? Although the tackle Kalil looks like he will be a keeper too.?
    I find it amusing that anyone would turn their back on star power. In the hope, they can get better value for their team, dropping down some on draft day.. Its totally rediculous. Superstars are very thin on the ground in this league, so for the sake of a handful of draft slots. I just don't see the point. Quantity is good, but its quality which is truly important to winning a Superbowl. End of story.
    ZiaRam likes this.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

If Trent Richardson is the worst case scenario (where Blackmon, Claiborne or trading down is the best options) then I must say I like the worst case scenario a lot

I always think teams should go for best available players in the draft, you can never have enough talent!

Lets say we take Richardson some of the things that could happen:
    * Jackson continues to produce on a high level and Richardson gets a few years behind him learning from one of the best RB's in the league with the BEST work ethics. He will be SO ready to take over when SJ39 stops.
    *Jackson gets hurt (which seams to happen most years), enter Richardson what a backup
    *Richardson is an instant stud and plays like a NFL pro from day one. We could consider trading SJ39 to a playoff caliber team who is a RB away from going all the way (High probability that some team will loose their RB to injury and need one a some games into the season)
    *It could also happen that Jackson and maybe one of our second round picks are used to trade back into the first round?

I would hate trading SJ39 away as he is one of my all time favorite Rams players, he always gave his 100%, but in a league where Manning gets cut you have to look at it from a business and long term perspective!

No matter what happens in this draft there is a great chance the Rams will come out as big winners (knocks on wood)

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    Its about value because he might only get 10 touches a game his first two years. A player with a worse rating than Richardson might play more and cause more impact in a game (Brockers for example). Its why Ingram went in the 20s last year.

Teams like Cleveland, Tampa, and Cincinnati (others too) need a lead back workhouse type. He's more valuable to a team like that than he is to us. Hopefully he goes to one of those two teams above us. While Richardson is more talented than every other back in the draft, for the amount of work they are going to get per game he is not that much more valuable to us than guys like David Wilson, Lamar Miller, or Doug Wilson.

While it isn't very expensive, pick 6 will probably cost 4 years 17 million. That would be around 11 million in our backfield in 2 players, more than all the receivers and tight ends on our roster. Doug Wilson, if picked with Washington's 2nd rounder, would cost 4 years 4.5 million.

That's probably the best option assuming Blackmon and Claiborne are gone. If either of those players dropped to 6 I wouldn't trade unless it was a monumental deal. I would easily trade 6 if Richardson was there and a good deal was offered. Richardson is just as good, if not better, than the other two players. Its the way the NFL is now.
    If, for example, Cincinnati trades 17 and a second rounder and a first next year (similar to the Cleveland trade last year) because they love Richardson and think he will put their team over the top, that would be much more valuable than Richardson. This would be much lower then I would want the Rams to go, but would land them two decent players and a good player next year.
    Cordy Glenn, Stephen Gilmore, and Jelani Jenkins OR Dre Kirpatrick, David Wilson, and Barrett Jones are better for the team than Richardson.
    Even Brockers, Poe, Cox, Floyd, DeCastro, or Reiff might be better for the team than Richardson. Even if he is better than all of those players. Its the conundrum of being at 6.
    I think you mean "Doug Martin", but yeah, i'm with you.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -03-11-2012 at 01:42 PM.

ludairv is offline Registered User

i love how when i post a thread about taking richardson , everyone has an aneurysm lmao...

+10000000000000000
    LETS GO RICHARDSON! THE BEASTTTTTTTTTTT
    Trent Richardson "The Beast" - YouTube

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

True, he might only get 10 touches a game, if Jackson stays healthy. That is a big if, and we've all seen what happens when Jackson goes down with basically just a "guy" to replace him. Personally I'd rather have a stud DT or LT/G than a running back, but there don't appear to be any (other than Kalil) worthy of the 6th overall pick. If we take Richardson because Blackmon, Claiborne, and Kalil are gone, then it very well may be the best option. Jeff Fisher believes in a strong running game. As it stands now if something happens to Steven we are mediocre at best. Sure there will be running backs available later, possibly some really good ones, but the farther down you go, the more you are rolling the dice ..

Trading down if we could obtain another great deal would be wonderful! We have a plethora of needs at just about every position except quarterback, defensive end, and middle linebacker. And yes, Cordy Glenn would look great in horns ..

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

If we come away with T-Rich at #6, I would be extremely happy. (Same with Claiborne)

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

We need offensive playmakers and TR is an offensive playmaker. So I'm all for taking him at #6 as he will be the BPA, assuming the others like Kalil, Blackmon and Claiborne are gone. I was even willing to trade SJ a few months back to stockpile picks and take TR as a replacement because he is cheaper and younger. Most people here gave me grief for that, so I'm not going there again. Plus we have addressed the stockpiling picks very adequately I must say.

But I still like TR as he's a good playmaker running and catching the ball. We will also have our SJ replacement in place when the time comes. We can address the WR's in free agency or later picks. This draft is deep in WR's. Most importantly we are in a position of strength regarding the draft for this year and the next few years as well. Really pumped about the coming FA period and the Draft, not to mention the season with our new coaching staff.

Go Rams!

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Hopefully that someone is somebody who trades with us to get him! lol i.e. more picks
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Check this out guys
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast