Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick
  • 1 Post By HUbison
  • 2 Post By shower beers

Thread: Trick or Treat! Nick's First 2014 Mock Draft

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Trick or Treat! Nick's First 2014 Mock Draft

It's always difficult to try and put out a mock this early in the process, but it can be a fun challenge as well. I tried to mesh what I perceived as team need along with where I would rank players at this point in the college football season. Forgive name/spelling mistakes if they're present; life with a 9-month old doesn't yield as much research time as I'd probably like. Brief explanations provided, please let me know what you think!

1. Jacksonville Jaguars: Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
    -If the Jags end up with the first pick, then there likely won't be much of a mystery as to whom they're selecting. It's time for a fresh face of the franchise in Jacksonville.

2. Tampa Bay: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
    -Tampa has all season to see if Mike Glennon is the answer, and a QB is a possibility here if he isn't. But if he's serviceable, Clowney might be too good to pass up.

3. New York Giants: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
    -The Giants could be in prime position to trade down with a QB-hungry franchise; assuming they can't move out of this spot, Barr becomes an instant starter for them at OLB.

4. Minnesota: Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
    -The Christian Ponder era in Minnesota is all but over; really it should have never begun. Mariota is making a solid case to be the second passer selected this year.

5. Houston: Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA
    -If the Texans are choosing in the Top Five in April, then they likely need to find themselves a new signal caller. I wouldn't be surprised if Hundley is neck and neck with Mariota to be the second passer selected.

6. St. Louis (f/WAS): Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
    -This is a great scenario for the Rams, who need to continue to improve their offensive line. Joe Barksdale has been good this season, but he's not so good that you pass on Matthews here.

7. Pittsburgh: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
    -While Antonio Brown is pulling in a lot of receptions, Pittsburgh is among the worst in receiving touchdowns so far this season. Watkins would give them another legitimate weapon in the passing game.

8. Atlanta: Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame
    -Corey Peters is solid, but Jonathan Babineaux and Peria Jerry aren't anything special. Nix would become an instant force on that defense.

9. Oakland: C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama
    -The Raiders take Mosley here, hoping the result will be better than the last time they spent a Top 10 pick on an Alabama linebacker.

10. Philadelphia: Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon
    -chip Kelly reunites with a former Oregon player at a position of need for his pro team; Ekpre-Olomu has as much of a case to make for being the top corner selected as anyone else IMO.

11. Arizona: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
    -The Cardinals have Eric Winston at right tackle, but need an upgrade over Bradley Sowell at left tackle, as he is PFF's worst ranked left tackle in the league right now.

12. Tennessee: Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame
    -The Titans could play Tuitt on the outside at end opposite Derrick Morgan or inside as a tackle; either way, he improves their D-line.

13. Buffalo: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
    -With their franchise quarterback acquired, the Bills will continue to try and get E.J. Manuel some weapons. This time around, they take the best tight end in the draft.

14. Cleveland: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    -The Browns may be hesitant to resign Josh Gordon given his off the field issues; if they opt to deal him, they'll need a new receiving weapon in Cleveland.

15. St. Louis: Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida
    -The Rams like what they see from former Florida corner Janoris Jenkins, so they'll go back to the Gator pond and Purifoy to round out their secondary.

16. Baltimore: Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
    -The Ravens will likely only pay either Eugene Monroe or Michael Oher; there will be a hole to fill for whichever they don't bring back.

17. Carolina: Marqise Lee, WR, USC
    -The Panthers need to find weapons who aren't named Steve Smith; Lee has a case to be one of the top offensive weapons drafted in this class.

18. Miami: Cameron Erving, OT, Florida State
    -The Dolphins are trying to get by with Bryant McKinnie, but ask Baltimore how that worked out. A solution at left tackle is needed.

19. Chicago: Vic Beasley, DE, Clemson
    -The Bears like to address their offensive and defensive lines in the draft, and I don't think this will be an exception.

20. New York Jets: Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU
    -An offensive weapon would be nice, but Van Noy gives the Jets the kind of pass rushing presence they need at outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme.

21. Detroit: Khalil Mack, LB, Buffalo
    -Detroit could certainly stand to upgrade at outside linebacker, given that their best options at the moment appear to be DeAndre Levy and Ashlee Palmer.

22. Dallas: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
    -Every year we project a safety to Dallas at some point in the draft, and every year they go another direction. Still, their interest last year in Kenny Vaccaro suggests they know they have a need at the posiiton.

23. San Diego: Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
    -San Diego has arguably the worst left tackle situatino in the league, so look for them to try and improve upon their personnel at the position this offseason.

24. Green Bay: Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
    -Jermichael Finley sustained a serious neck injury last weekend, and is likely done for the season. He's a free agent next year, so the Packers may opt to simply find a cheaper replacement.

25. San Francisco: Donte Moncrief, WR, Mississippi
    -Trading A.J. Jenkins away indicated the ***** whiffed on their last first round receiver, but they will go back to the well at some point as they need talent.

26. New England: Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State
    -The Patriots' personnel at defensive tackle is not strong right now. Even if Vince Wilfork returns to form next season, he'll need some help.

27. Cleveland (f/IND): Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    -The Browns may end up packaging their two first round picks to move up for a quarterback, but given the way the board has fell, I have them waiting for Manziel here.

28. Cincinnati: Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
    -The Bengals would be very wise to grab Roby here and begin planning for what their secondary will look like once Terence Newman and Adam Jones eventually move on.

29. New Orleans: Trent Murphy, LB, Stanford
    -The Saints' 3-4 defense is playing better than expected this season, but they still need to add more pieces that fit their puzzle. Murphy has been a standout defender.

30. Denver: Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State
    -Shazier would give the Broncos a big upgrade in a linebacker corps whose only notable name is Von Miller.

31. Seattle: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
    -The Seahawks could stand to upgrade at either offensive guard spot, and Richardson could warrant coming off the board earlier than this.

32. Kansas City: Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU
    -Through the first four games this season, Alex Smith's averaged a QB rating of 90.1. Through the last three, he's averaged a rating of 64.2. Time to start planning for the future.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Thumbs up on both Rams picks!

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Trick or Treat! Nick's First 2014 Mock Draft

Don't want an Ot so early, i understand the pick and would be fine with it, just rather grab someone in the 2nd or w/e. Purifoy is a good selection for sure, he will be a beast.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Nick, lets assume for a second that the Washington pick was #8 or 9 overall. How, if at all, would that change your thinking on what we might do with the second first round pick. Do you think we would take the best available corner? I presume that there is no superstar offensive guard in this years draft and no linebacker or safety that you like enough that high.

Any thoughts on Taje Boyd in round 3 for the Rams?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is online now Registered User

That is a treat for sure. I would love to get Matthews, his dad and uncle played in the NFL forever and a week. Fisher had Bruce his dad on the Titans in 1999 SB team. Bruce is the O line coach of the Titans. His other son is playing with the Skins. He has great bloodlines and a father that is a O line coach in the NFL. The Fisher connection is there as well, perfect pick!

I also think CB is the big need with Cort's play dropping and his age.

Would like to add a Guard and Safety in the second and third.

Nice draft.

punahou is offline Registered User

Lol
    Like I tell everyone I know-- my Superbowl is the draft. It seems Im not the only one who gets psyched for the draft, especially this early =P

I think Id rather see a safety or WR rather than CB. Id be very happy if we did get Matthews, who as was mentioned comes from NFL stock, similar to Chris Long.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

15. St. Louis: Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida
    -The Rams like what they see from former Florida corner Janoris Jenkins, so they'll go back to the Gator pond and Purifoy to round out their secondary.
    With all the nickel packages, I get the need for a "starter" 3rd CB. But I'm curious why you passed on Clinton-Dix for Purifoy? Is it:

a) you see Purifoy as superior to Clinton-Dix, or
    b) you see CB as a higher need than S?

....or maybe both?
    ManofGod likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    With all the nickel packages, I get the need for a "starter" 3rd CB. But I'm curious why you passed on Clinton-Dix for Purifoy? Is it:

a) you see Purifoy as superior to Clinton-Dix, or
    b) you see CB as a higher need than S?

....or maybe both?

I was thinking of these scenarios when I saw this:

1. Finnegan is released this off season
    2. Tru hasn't shown enough to warrant a full time starting role
    3. McGee hasn't shown enough to crack into the rotation more
    4. Clinton-Dix or any other safety for that matter, doesn't appear to be worthy enough of a high first round pick.

I was also looking over our roster, and it looks like we only have 4(!) CBs listed. We could really use another one in my opinion, especially if Finnegan is let go this off season.
    ManofGod and Randart like this.