throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Troy Smith requests to be traded

Might not want to get your hopes up on Smith. From Ravens beat writer Jamison Hensley...

9. Who will be the Ravens' backup quarterbacks? It'll be the same as this year: Troy Smith and John Beck. Smith's agent recently requested a trade, but the Ravens won't get any legitimate compensation for him. The 2006 Heisman Trophy winner hasn't played enough in the preseason or regular season for other teams to gauge his value.

mistewa Guest

Thumbs down Re: Troy Smith requests to be traded

We cannot waste our time/money/draft picks trying to find a qb that MIGHT be good. We need to look around the league at players that have proven to be winners (Jason Campbell/Michael Vick)....this team needs immediate results

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mistewa View Post
    We cannot waste our time/money/draft picks trying to find a qb that MIGHT be good. We need to look around the league at players that have proven to be winners (Jason Campbell/Michael Vick)....this team needs immediate results
    Jason Campbell is hardly a proven winner. And the vick subject as been shot down multiple times. Troy Smith has two starts under his belt and does not come from a culture of losing like campbell, nor is he a gimmick QB like Vick. Unless we draft Claussen, smith is probably our most talented option.

npow81 Guest

At of all the "options" to fulfill the QB position (as I am of the opinion we should be finding someone for the future right now) Troy is the most enticing to me.

Some will say that we should draft Clausen or Bradford in the first, but Suh is too valuable to pass up, and those two, in my mind, aren't high first round talent.

Some will say we should take McCoy in the second, but for all his good qualities, enough doubts remain that McCoy is still a dangerous investment with the first pick of the second round

Others will say we should take ____ qb in the third or fourth, whether it be Pike, Canfield, Snead etc. and if we could get Smith for the same, considering what he has shown in his limited action I think Smith is the better option

Then there's Vick, which I wouldn't mind terribly, but I'm not going there

In the end if he is in fact attainable, and attainable for a mid round pick I think this appeals most to me, and I say this not on his college career, but what he has done in limited action in the NFL

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Just found something worth posting...basically Harbaugh is saying they plan on keeping Smith but would listen to offers:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Insider
    Harbaugh predicts some interest in backup QBs

Ravens coach John Harbaugh made it clear that the team is happy with its backup quarterbacks Troy Smith and John Beck. But he predicted that the Ravens could receive some offers from other teams involving them.

"My guess is there’s going to be some people that are going to be interested in those two guys, so we’re not going to hold them back," Harbaugh said. "But we’re going to make sure we do what’s best for the Ravens.”

Harbaugh also touched on the possibility that Smith and Beck could battle for the No. 2 spot behind starter Joe Flacco.

"We think we have two good, young backup quarterbacks – obviously, two guys that want to start in this league," he said. "So, I think we’re very happy with our situation. We’re very content to have those guys as a strong two and a strong three, and even battling it out within those roles as we go forward."
    I don't see how they can have a steep price for Troy given that he has limited experience. I would give up a fourth rounder for him, but preferably one of our two fifth rounders. He was taken in the fifth round, so I don't see how Baltimore could see that as a losing situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Just found something worth posting...basically Harbaugh is saying they plan on keeping Smith but would listen to offers:

I don't see how they can have a steep price for Troy given that he has limited experience. I would give up a fourth rounder for him, but preferably one of our two fifth rounders. He was taken in the fifth round, so I don't see how Baltimore could see that as a losing situation.
    I would also give a fourth for him, or maybe a fifth and maybe someone like kent or roach.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Troy Smith has come out and said that he never requested to be traded, and that was his agent who requested the trade

Troy Smith insists that he had nothing to do with last month's trade request, though he's looking forward to exploring trade options this offseason.

"That was my agent. That wasn't me," said Smith. "But if he's going to put our situation in a predicament like that, I've got to ride with him." Smith is setting himself up for disappointment by shopping his services. He's not an obvious enough upgrade for any team to offer as much as he's worth to the Ravens.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

What's the difference between Troy Smith and Eric Crouch ?

shower beers is offline Registered User

if our injury history is any indication, he'll be starting by week 12.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    What's the difference between Troy Smith and Eric Crouch ?
    They're very different players. By the end of Troy Smith's college career, he was a great passer, and only ran the ball when needed. Oh, also he's still in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    I would also give a fourth for him, or maybe a fifth and maybe someone like kent or roach.
    You guys must be higher on Smith than I am. I'd struggle trying to justify a fourth or fifth round pick in a trade for him.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    They're very different players. By the end of Troy Smith's college career, he was a great passer, and only ran the ball when needed. Oh, also he's still in the league.
    I guess I'd have to disagree with you & side with the NFL football evaluators on him; the great passer that you saw wasn't seen as translatable to the NFL which is why he went so low in the draft & he's struggled to see playing time for The Ravens. Doubt that he'd be their #2 if Boller hadn't left.

I don't see why he feeds The Rams' need for either a very strong bet for a franchise QB of the future or an experienced stable vet presence to hold the fort while that new stud, picked this year or next, develops.

Neither fish nor fowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You guys must be higher on Smith than I am. I'd struggle trying to justify a fourth or fifth round pick in a trade for him.
    We can get him for a lower pick then Lefevour or McCoy, which would free up that earlier pick for more holes to be filled with higher caliber players. Plus i honestly think he is our best bet for QB of the future this year, since clausen will be out of our reach and mallet and locker not coming out till next year.

Just a feeling but i really think we should grab him, not like he wouldnt come cheap, just throw a fifth rounder at them and maybe a depth guy.

EDIT: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    We can get him for a lower pick then Lefevour or McCoy, which would free up that earlier pick for more holes to be filled with higher caliber players. Plus i honestly think he is our best bet for QB of the future this year, since clausen will be out of our reach and mallet and locker not coming out till next year.

Just a feeling but i really think we should grab him, not like he wouldnt come cheap, just throw a fifth rounder at them and maybe a depth guy.

EDIT: Spelling
    I think my point was more that a fourth or fifth round pick would be too high to trade for a guy who was not highly regarded coming out as a college player and was obviously not highly regarded by the team that acquired him since they drafted another quarterback as their guy.

Now, a conditional 2011 sixth round pick? Maybe that's something I can get on board with. But a fourth or fifth round pick in this class just seems excessive to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12