Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Two things are certain if the Rams draft Sammy Watkins...

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Two things are certain if the Rams draft Sammy Watkins...

1. The Rams will have arguably the most explosive receiving unit in the league.

Adding Watkins to a group that consists of Austin, Givens, and Cook will only make us that much more explosive and dynamic. Which leads me to my second point...

2. It will be absolutely paramount that Schotty gets more creative with his schemes, as well as play-calling.

I understand that Fisher has gotten the Rams back to an old-school, run-first philosophy on offense. However, there is still no reason we can't get a lot more creative on passing downs. Spending a very high pick on Watkins presses the issue even more. Last year, watching Schotty try to get creative with his new toys(Austin and Cook) was really awkward and frustrating. While he did have a few nice plays, such as the Austin misdirection and the Bailey double-reverse, the majority of them were bland and predictable. For instance, bland screens to Austin that were sniffed out before they ever had a chance. Teams were really keying on Austin, and Schotty failed to move him around enough to make defenses uncomfortable.

He needs to work on utilizing schemes that open up the field and get these dynamic receivers the ball in space. Anyone who watched the Rams last year saw that, by and large, he failed at doing so. And not to mention, can he please give Sam more rollout/bootleg plays?

Overall, I still like Schotty as our OC for now. But, like Gregg Williams said, as a coach you must evolve. Schotty needs to evolve along with this dynamic offense, especially if Watkins is added to the mix.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: Two things are certain if the Rams draft Sammy Watkins...

I love Watkins, and I personally think that small, speedy receivers are the best way to combat the lanky, slow thugs of the Seattle secondary.

Mikey is offline Registered User

I love me some Sammy but I don't think Shotty has any clue how to handle that much speed and talent at WR. Plus I think our HC is too ultra conservative to draft him.
    sosa39rams likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I love me some Sammy but I don't think Shotty has any clue how to handle that much speed and talent at WR. Plus I think our HC is too ultra conservative to draft him.
    I agree. He CLEARLY struggled to create plays for Tavon. Sammy is a prototypical WR though, so I could still see a lot of production from a bland and usual scheme.
    Last edited by sosa39rams; -02-22-2014 at 11:24 AM.

THE DREAM TEAM

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I'd like to think Shotty's shoddy playing calling may improve if Stacey continued to do what he did last year. If Stacey can keep running the ball well, it SHOULD, in theory, help the passing game. Prior to Bradford's injury, the running game was a non-factor, and so teams could feel free to gobble up our receivers in coverage. After the running game got going, we had Clemens at QB, so it didn't really matter who we had out there for receivers.
    turbofargo likes this.

Maybe with Bradford back under center Shotty might open up the playbook a little more, I think he was being overly cautious with Clemens back there
    Torry Holt and mde8352gorams like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Maybe with Bradford back under center Shotty might open up the playbook a little more, I think he was being overly cautious with Clemens back there
    Vinnie25 beat me to the punch. Before we dump on Schotty, let's not forget he was working with a back-up QB most of the season. I agree he has a history of being conservative, but that's OK. We had the supposed offensive genius Josh McDaniels here for 1 year and that didn't work out too well. Even before that Scott Linehan was an offensive guru. The last good offensive mind we had was Mike Martz and look whom he had to work with. It's always the talent and the execution. As the talent on our offense gels, the plays will follow.

Go Rams!
    Vinnie25 likes this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Very possible but then he couldn't get Austin going early while Sam was healthy. Though part of that can be attributed to Austin's slow start. I know a lot of us weren't happy with the routes and plays run for Austin early.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Not excusing the play calling, but from the early games, pre-Stacy it seemed there was zero running game. Richardson couldn't get a yard if his life depended on it, so teams could tee off on the receivers knowing Austin was going to get the ball. Seemed once Stacy got the ball he opened things up. Could be other factors involved as well, but the correlation was there at least.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    It will be absolutely paramount that Schotty gets more creative with his schemes, as well as play-calling.
    As much as I'd like for this to happen, I just don't see it happening. Schotty is Schotty, the way I see it, and imo I've seen enough of him. I hope he proves me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Schotty won't get that chance, because Fisher wants to go with what they did the last 11 games of the season, RUN THE BALL, ues the TE, get the ball to Austin in space.

They aren't going back to that wide open stuff, not as long as Fisher is here.

How did high powered passing with multi targets do for the Broncos against Seattle?

The aim is to WIN GAMES, not just entertain fans with offense, and Fisher knows this.

How many Super Bowls did the Rams win when they had Ellard, Anderson, etc? WITH a great QB in Everett.

The Rams can't afford another toy like Watkins, not if they can't protect Bradford.

That #2 pick has got to be OT or defense.

You wide open guys got Austin and Bailey last year. Now you are giving up on them? As well as Givens and Quick.

If the Rams want to win, they have to build that O-line with some studs, and build that DB group with size and talent. That's your two points of emphasis early in this draft.
    Rambos and mde8352gorams like this.
    Barry Waller

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    The Rams can't afford another toy like Watkins, not if they can't protect Bradford.

That #2 pick has got to be OT or defense.

You wide open guys got Austin and Bailey last year. Now you are giving up on them? As well as Givens and Quick.
    I somewhat agree, I love Watkins but I think this draft is filled with good WR prospects that we can get later in the draft like Allen Robinson or Jordan Matthews. Austin and Bailey will continue to improve, and Givens looked like a stud when he had a QB who could throw him the deep ball (unlike Clemens). The only question mark I have is Quick; I haven't seen much improvement in his game in two years.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I don't get where this idea that Schotty isn't creative enough to make plays for Austin comes from. Have you seen any other team in the league run a play like this?

richtree is offline Registered User

I think there are 2 other things certain if the Rams draft Watkins at #2:

A -- The Rams will have missed out on the top 5 Olineman

B - The Rams will have overlooked their biggest need.

I am sick of losing and hearing our Oline is not good, too weak, too hurt, not deep and a revolving door....lets draft a guy to be there for 5-8 years....right now we are lucky if any of this group is here in 3 years, heck 2years....

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    You wide open guys got Austin and Bailey last year. Now you are giving up on them? As well as Givens and Quick..
    Not at all.

Austin primarily plays the slot, so drafting another outside WR really doesn't make a difference in terms of Austin. I like both Givens and Bailey. I haven't given up on Quick yet, but that doesn't mean I'm against picking up a playmaker of Watkins caliber. Sam loves to spread the ball around, and even though we're most like going to be a run-heavy offense, there will still be more than enough opportunities for whoever steps up.

I'm all for taking an OT with our first pick. I've been an advocate for strengthening the OL first and foremost.

My original post has nothing to do with who the Rams should draft, just a few thoughts on if they draft Watkins.

And I'm not a "wide open guy" just because I see Watkins as a possibility for the Rams.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-22-2014 at 11:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast