Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Two things are certain if the Rams draft Sammy Watkins...

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Two things are certain if the Rams draft Sammy Watkins...

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I don't get where this idea that Schotty isn't creative enough to make plays for Austin comes from. Have you seen any other team in the league run a play like this?

"While he did have a few nice plays, such as the Austin misdirection and the Bailey double-reverse, the majority of them were bland and predictable."

I mentioned this play in my original post, and I think the above quote displays my feelings about his play-calling overall.

Random Thought: The thing I love most about this play is by far the blocking. Not taking anything away from Austin, but the blockers executed that play to perfection.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    "While he did have a few nice plays, such as the Austin misdirection and the Bailey double-reverse, the majority of them were bland and predictable."

I mentioned this play in my original post, and I think the above quote displays my feelings about his play-calling overall.

Random Thought: The thing I love most about this play is by far the blocking. Not taking anything away from Austin, but the blockers executed that play to perfection.
    I get that, but you can't call these trick things all the time. Schotty can call plays. Let's remember he had Kellen Clemens at QB for most of the season.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I don't get where this idea that Schotty isn't creative enough to make plays for Austin comes from. Have you seen any other team in the league run a play like this?

Fisher said this was from the Titans playbook. Just sayin
    ramsbruce likes this.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Let's remember he had Kellen Clemens at QB for most of the season.
    You say "remember he had Clemens" and show a nice play made by Tavon, and that's fine, but I remember a horrible play call with Schotty/Clemens against Seattle going empty backfield in the red zone. So Schotty just told Seattle we aren't going to try and run it in for the TD. Then to top that off we have Clemens throwing a fade, which he doesn't do very well, to Quick against the very good Seattle secondary, who at that time hadn't had many fades thrown to him, and we lost our chance to win the game.

If I have Clemens, as a play caller I'm not going to flat out show Seattle there is no chance we are running (especially when we were running the ball well in that game) by going empty backfield with a QB like Clemens throwing a fade.

Ok, no Sam for part of the year. What about the year before when Sam played all 16 games? 7-8-1 with Sam in 2012. 7-9 in with Sam/Clemens in 2013.

His play calling hasn't changed much since he got here, and even with the Jets, it was similar. He is what he is, and I don't see him changing much.

If we draft Watkins (which I don't think we will) I think he would be another weapon that Schotty doesn't know how to use properly.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Exactly, the block by Chris Givens to spring him to the outside effectively blocked two defenders, and the late block he received (not sure who it was from the video) pretty much guaranteed the TD. Great run and jukes by Austin, but the blocking by the receivers downfield is what made that play happen.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I get that, but you can't call these trick things all the time. Schotty can call plays. Let's remember he had Kellen Clemens at QB for most of the season.
    Okay...I'm not just asking Schotty to run more trick plays...I'm done trying to explain myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12