Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 21 of 21
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Two things are certain if the Rams draft Sammy Watkins...

  1. #16
    FestusRam's Avatar
    FestusRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri
    Posts
    1,181
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Two things are certain if the Rams draft Sammy Watkins...

    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I don't get where this idea that Schotty isn't creative enough to make plays for Austin comes from. Have you seen any other team in the league run a play like this?


    "While he did have a few nice plays, such as the Austin misdirection and the Bailey double-reverse, the majority of them were bland and predictable."

    I mentioned this play in my original post, and I think the above quote displays my feelings about his play-calling overall.

    Random Thought: The thing I love most about this play is by far the blocking. Not taking anything away from Austin, but the blockers executed that play to perfection.


  2. #17
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,667
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Two things are certain if the Rams draft Sammy Watkins...

    Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    "While he did have a few nice plays, such as the Austin misdirection and the Bailey double-reverse, the majority of them were bland and predictable."

    I mentioned this play in my original post, and I think the above quote displays my feelings about his play-calling overall.

    Random Thought: The thing I love most about this play is by far the blocking. Not taking anything away from Austin, but the blockers executed that play to perfection.
    I get that, but you can't call these trick things all the time. Schotty can call plays. Let's remember he had Kellen Clemens at QB for most of the season.

  3. #18
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,045
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Two things are certain if the Rams draft Sammy Watkins...

    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I don't get where this idea that Schotty isn't creative enough to make plays for Austin comes from. Have you seen any other team in the league run a play like this?

    Fisher said this was from the Titans playbook. Just sayin
    ramsbruce likes this.

  4. #19
    ramsbruce's Avatar
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Here
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,465
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Two things are certain if the Rams draft Sammy Watkins...

    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Let's remember he had Kellen Clemens at QB for most of the season.
    You say "remember he had Clemens" and show a nice play made by Tavon, and that's fine, but I remember a horrible play call with Schotty/Clemens against Seattle going empty backfield in the red zone. So Schotty just told Seattle we aren't going to try and run it in for the TD. Then to top that off we have Clemens throwing a fade, which he doesn't do very well, to Quick against the very good Seattle secondary, who at that time hadn't had many fades thrown to him, and we lost our chance to win the game.

    If I have Clemens, as a play caller I'm not going to flat out show Seattle there is no chance we are running (especially when we were running the ball well in that game) by going empty backfield with a QB like Clemens throwing a fade.

    Ok, no Sam for part of the year. What about the year before when Sam played all 16 games? 7-8-1 with Sam in 2012. 7-9 in with Sam/Clemens in 2013.

    His play calling hasn't changed much since he got here, and even with the Jets, it was similar. He is what he is, and I don't see him changing much.

    If we draft Watkins (which I don't think we will) I think he would be another weapon that Schotty doesn't know how to use properly.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE


  5. #20
    Vinnie25's Avatar
    Vinnie25 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    831
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: Two things are certain if the Rams draft Sammy Watkins...

    Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Random Thought: The thing I love most about this play is by far the blocking. Not taking anything away from Austin, but the blockers executed that play to perfection.
    Exactly, the block by Chris Givens to spring him to the outside effectively blocked two defenders, and the late block he received (not sure who it was from the video) pretty much guaranteed the TD. Great run and jukes by Austin, but the blocking by the receivers downfield is what made that play happen.

  6. #21
    FestusRam's Avatar
    FestusRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Festus, Missouri
    Posts
    1,181
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Two things are certain if the Rams draft Sammy Watkins...

    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I get that, but you can't call these trick things all the time. Schotty can call plays. Let's remember he had Kellen Clemens at QB for most of the season.
    Okay...I'm not just asking Schotty to run more trick plays...I'm done trying to explain myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: -02-18-2014, 09:50 PM
  2. Sammy Watkins or Jarvis Landry?..
    By a.p.quinn in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -02-17-2014, 03:53 PM
  3. If we draft Sammy Watkins
    By Rambos in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: -02-16-2014, 09:55 PM
  4. Sammy Watkins Just Not a Rams Fit
    By Barry Waller in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: -01-06-2014, 02:10 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: -12-08-2013, 02:28 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •