Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The uneducated Brit on Justin Blackmon

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

The uneducated Brit on Justin Blackmon

Sup,

At around this time every year, I get a somewhat ostrascized sensation from the font of draft knowledge.

Living in the UK, I personally find it very hard/impossible to pay much attention to college football. This is in part due to the fact that it is covered over here as about as well as the inner workings of the morris dancer troupe is in the USA. (Google Morris dancing, you'll get my point)

I pretty much am led by you guys and what you see and hear in the native land of football when it comes to drafting talent.

That said I have just seen some footage of Justin Blackmon on youtube, and I must say, if this guy came to the Rams it would be awesome. He's built like Adrian Wilson, and seems (to the uneducated fish and chips advocate) a real positive talent for the future.

I cannot remember the Rams having anyone at receiver with his physical attributes. I have often thought we lack a certain physical 'thickness' to our receiving corps and if all is to be believed the Rams should make this dude a priority.

Just my thoughts on the matter from across the pond, for what its worth.

Now about that Morris dancing lark.
    THOLTFAN81, Tampa_Ram and ZiaRam like this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: The uneducated Brit on Justin Blackmon

Quote Originally Posted by UK Ramfan 83 View Post
    Sup,

At around this time every year, I get a somewhat ostrascized sensation from the font of draft knowledge.

Living in the UK, I personally find it very hard/impossible to pay much attention to college football. This is in part due to the fact that it is covered over here as about as well as the inner workings of the morris dancer troupe is in the USA. (Google Morris dancing, you'll get my point)

I pretty much am led by you guys and what you see and hear in the native land of football when it comes to drafting talent.

That said I have just seen some footage of Justin Blackmon on youtube, and I must say, if this guy came to the Rams it would be awesome. He's built like Adrian Wilson, and seems (to the uneducated fish and chips advocate) a real positive talent for the future.

I cannot remember the Rams having anyone at receiver with his physical attributes. I have often thought we lack a certain physical 'thickness' to our receiving corps and if all is to be believed the Rams should make this dude a priority.

I see a lot of Michael Irvin/Terrell Owens in the way he's built. He's jacked.

Drummerman1011 is offline Registered User

I think people get too caught up in height and 40 times. Blackmon has that rare ability to take over a game. Just look at that bowl game he played in. He's gonna do big things in the NFL.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerman1011 View Post
    I think people get too caught up in height and 40 times. Blackmon has that rare ability to take over a game. Just look at that bowl game he played in. He's gonna do big things in the NFL.
    Excellent point Drummer1011. Blackmons strong persona and will, was what stood out to me when I watched him play. Like Trent Richardson, he sure looks like, he will translate easily to the NFL.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-17-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UK Ramfan 83 View Post
    Sup,

Don't sell(us) yourself short. Trust me, their just as much in the dark as us lot.America is a vast place remember. Love the point about the "thickness" UK RamFan.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The thing that impresses me the most about Blackmon is his consistency. Look at his game by game stats. In the last two years, he has had a significant impact in every game.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-17-2012 at 10:26 AM.
    ManofGod and ZiaRam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The thing that impresses me the most about Blackmon is his consistency. Look at his game by game stats. In the last two years, he has had a significant impact in every game.
    I love Trent Richardson, but if Blackmon was to run three consecutive 40 times, under 4.50 at the combine. I don't want to see any 4.57's in Indy either. That would kind of cement him in my mind, as the player who I would ideally like the Rams to draft. If your looking at needs for this season, an effort to get a "difference" making WR must be high up in their list of to do's. But so is finding a bona-fide blindside protector for SB this season. I believe Fisher has never used a first rounder on a lineman. Which is a good sign for the Rams. So maybe the Rams can get away with using the existing players on the O-Line. The system should be a little friendlier to the tackles this year. So hopefully Fisher can fix the line later in the draft. I don't believe for a second Fisher will leave Sam Bradford out to dry next year, so he needs a true No.1 WR, quick.
    Where need meets value is concerned, you could say he is right up there at the top. A little thing which worries me, after reading two OSU fans, thoughts.
    They both said "Dez Bryant was the better of the two" Explosion. So it makes you wonder.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-17-2012 at 03:46 PM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    Where need meets value is concerned, you could say he is right up there at the top. A little thing which worries me, after reading two OSU fans, thoughts.
    They both said "Dez Bryant was the better of the two" Explosion. So it makes you wonder.?
    That's the thing that always gets me. OSU media says Blackmon is a less physically gifted version of Bryant but fans refuse to believe it. Bryant is a good receiver but he's not worth the #2 pick in the draft. Blackmon would be great if the Rams were drafting 15, they aren't. Blackmon is compared to Anquan Boldin. A great WR but not a franchise type WR you want #2 overall.

If you over draft a guy to fill a position, you've screwed up. If you give ANY weight to the draft trade value chart, it's franchise suicide to over draft a guy. Fans always draft to fill holes. Great franchises draft to get the best talent possible. Mark my words, who ever they draft in the second round, someone will post on this board "but they needed a (insert position)".

Remember, contrary to all the facts, fans thought Crabtree was the best WR to come along in years because of how he dominated on the field. Now, the 9ers are still trying to find their #1 WR.
    ManofGod and sosa39rams like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerman1011 View Post
    Mel Kiper had something interesting to say in a recent chat. When asked how far Blackmon falls if he runs a 4.6, Kiper's response was, "He would still go top 10. I could still see St. Louis taking him if they trade down. He wouldn't get out of the top 10. I would expect him to be in the 4.55 range. But there have been other WRs running in the 4.6 range. He's not 5-11, 185 pounds. He'll probably be around 6-1, 215."

I think fans get hung up on this idea that a certain pick deserves a certain type of prospect. The argument some present is Blackmon doesn't deserve to go second overall because he's not a Calvin Johnson or an A.J. Green. But those types of physical specimens come around rarely. That doesn't mean no other prospect at that position is ever worthy. You don't see teams passing on quarterbacks with the first overall pick because they're not all Peyton Manning. You can only pick from what you have to work with, and Blackmon IMO is among the top available in this class. He's certainly my top-rated WR, and definitely among my Top Five regardless of position.

I think those that would continue to bang the Bryant/Crabtree drum when talking about Blackmon need to consider the differences in character, work ethic, and off the field issues that separate those prospects. Crabtree came with big red flags about a diva attitude, and Bryant's off the field issues were well documented at the time. Blackmon's work ethic and character is largely praised, which I don't think can be understated when talking about a guy's chances of making it.

There's something to be said, IMO at least, about the overemphasis on the testing and measurables. In the end, turn on the tape. The tape should be your primary source of information, and the measurables should either help reinforce what you see on tape or make you take a second look at a guy. But the measurables shouldn't be the end-all of the discussion.

What you see on tape when you watch Blackmon isn't a burner, but is a guy with physicality, who goes after the ball, who runs nice routes, who can make things happen after contact, and yes, who can get behind defenders because of his deceptive quickness rather than burning straight line speed.

A guy that, I think, would be a great addition to the Rams' roster. If they can trade down a few spots and still get him, even better.

Drummerman1011 is offline Registered User

I heard hes been drawing a lot of comparisons to Hakeem Nicks. Sounds like a good match to me. Just need a really solid receiver, don't need a top 5 receiver in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    That's the thing that always gets me. OSU media says Blackmon is a less physically gifted version of Bryant but fans refuse to believe it. Bryant is a good receiver but he's not worth the #2 pick in the draft. Blackmon would be great if the Rams were drafting 15, they aren't. Blackmon is compared to Anquan Boldin. A great WR but not a franchise type WR you want #2 overall.

If you over draft a guy to fill a position, you've screwed up. If you give ANY weight to the draft trade value chart, it's franchise suicide to over draft a guy. Fans always draft to fill holes. Great franchises draft to get the best talent possible. Mark my words, who ever they draft in the second round, someone will post on this board "but they needed a (insert position)".

Remember, contrary to all the facts, fans thought Crabtree was the best WR to come along in years because of how he dominated on the field. Now, the 9ers are still trying to find their #1 WR.
    No two drafts are ever the same, so I don't give much credence to the value charts. That is unless the Rams have a little trade themselves, that is. Value and worth is all in the eye of the beholder. Ive fell into that hype trap many times over the years, but I don't feel Im being sucked in by Blackmon. I honestly think he is going to be a very good player in his own right.? I realize he is no A.J.Green, but I still liked Blackmon more than WR Julio Jones, before last years combine. So Ill stay with my gut feeling on Blackmon. However, if he doesn't break 4.5 in at the combine at least once, Ill have a few more doubts to consider.?
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-18-2012 at 09:01 AM.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post

No, if you draft a bust in the top 10, you screwed up. If you pick a solid player, you did ok. If you pick a star, then you did well and you should feel lucky. It has absolutely jack to do with the "draft value chart," which Parcells just pulled out of his butt and for whatever reason everyone latched onto it. It works as a guideline, but that's all it is. And it definitely doesn't say anything about the value of a player.

Nobody, not even Luck, Blackmon, or Kalil are guarantees. The draft is a crapshoot and finally with a rookie slotting system, it's not the same death sentance to screw up in the top 5, but it still sucks. The best you can do is to do your homework and pick the guy who will help your team and is the least likely to be a bust.

The Whiners should have done their homework when they picked Crabtree and realized that he was a super-diva. I'm sure that his work ethic wasn't better in college than it is now. We need to do our homework and make sure that Blackmon has the work ethic of Jerry Rice moreso than Dez Bryant or Crabtree. Because that is what makes a player successful in the NFL. All of them are gifted athletically, but it is the ones who go out every day, whether it is Sunday or Tuesday, and go find a way to get better. If Blackmon is that guy, we take him, and he'll be worth it at #1, not to mention #2 or wherever he goes. If he's not, trade down further and grab Floyd or Randle or whoever is that guy.

Now, as for your suggestion that great teams draft BPA at all times: that's hogwash. Complete insanity. Every team drafts for needs, whether it's this year or next year's. Those great teams you speak of have good scouts who know what the team will need for its scheme and look for that. They find the guys who can be put into a place to succeed in their system. And, I'm sorry to say, the Rams are NOT a great team, and they have a LOT of holes. So really, no matter what we do this year, we'll be drafting to fill holes. Unless of course, you are suggesting we should draft RG3 because he'll be the BPA at #2?
    Last edited by TekeRam; -02-18-2012 at 09:14 AM.
    I believe!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I've heard Blackmon described in many ways, but my favorite is: Dez Bryant with a triple digit IQ.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I've heard Blackmon described in many ways, but my favorite is: Dez Bryant with a triple digit IQ.
    I liked Warren Moon's take on him "Dez Bryant with all his brain cells"
    HUbison, MauiRam and THOLTFAN81 like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    I honestly think he is going to be a very good player in his own right.? I realize he is no A.J.Green, but I still liked Blackmon more than WR Julio Jones, before last years combine. So Ill stay with my gut feeling on Blackmon. However, if he doesn't break 4.5 in at the combine at least once, Ill have a few more doubts to consider.?
    To recap:
    Blackmon is no AJ Green (Green was drafted #4) but he's better than Julio Jones (who was drafted #6 and is a physical freak) which means Blackmon is worthy of the #2 pick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast