Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 155
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: UPDATE: Jake Long has left St Louis without a signed contract...

  1. #16
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,154
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Jake Long headed for STL?

    Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

    Rams working on bringing in Jake Long for a visit tonight. But not set up yet.
    Expand


  2. #17
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,495
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Jake Long to visit Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Long should be the long term answer at LT, whereas we can roll with Saffold at RT for a year and see how he fares. If he's good, re-sign him. If not, move on.
    That sounds like the most likely scenario. I just wonder, with continuity being a big factor on the offensive line, if it's worth uprooting Saffold from a job he's held down fairly well for three years in order to move to a vacant spot that Long could be an even better fit for.

    It'd be one thing if Long was still a Top 3 LT; then it's a no brainer upgrade. But he hasn't been that guy recently, so it gives me slight pause when that's how he wants to be paid.

    Your argument about the benefits of a great pass protector at RT would be more convincing for me if the Rams ran a Packers/Patriots/Saints type of offense. I really question if Saffold will have the power to hold up, especially in the run game, against bigger stronger left defensive ends.


    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here's an interesting thought...

    OTs typically want to play the LT spot because it puts them in a higher market for FA dollars. But, at Long's age, this will likely be his last premium contract. If the Rams pay him LT money, maybe he'd willingly play the right side in 2013. Then, in 2014, if the Rams don't want to re-sign Saffold, they could move Long back to the LT spot and draft a RT.
    That could work, but I just don't think Jake will be up to playing on the right side. He'll have offers elsewhere to play on the left.

  3. #18
    richtree's Avatar
    richtree is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,133
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Jake Long to visit Rams

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That sounds like the most likely scenario. I just wonder, with continuity being a big factor on the offensive line, if it's worth uprooting Saffold from a job he's held down fairly well for three years in order to move to a vacant spot that Long could be an even better fit for.

    It'd be one thing if Long was still a Top 3 LT; then it's a no brainer upgrade. But he hasn't been that guy recently, so it gives me slight pause when that's how he wants to be paid.

    Your argument about the benefits of a great pass protector at RT would be more convincing for me if the Rams ran a Packers/Patriots/Saints type of offense. I really question if Saffold will have the power to hold up, especially in the run game, against bigger stronger left defensive ends.




    That could work, but I just don't think Jake will be up to playing on the right side. He'll have offers elsewhere to play on the left.

    I think if Long did sign here, that makes us most likely draft a Guard earlier because we want him to be superior run blocker. Also, we will probably add a Run Blocking TE specialist (especially if we sign Cook)...

  4. #19
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,460
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Jake Long headed for STL?

    Add Long, slide him in at LT. Draft Chance Warmack at 16 or Jon Cooper at 22, slide them into LG. Move Saffold to RT. Creates: Long/Warmack/Wells/Dahl/Saffold. That's a terrific line. Let them gel and hope they can stay healthy. Add a weapon or two for Sam (one through draft - probably WR, and TE - possibly FA) and we look much better.
    Rambos likes this.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  5. #20
    THOLTFAN81's Avatar
    THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,938
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Jake Long headed for STL?

    My FA board is:

    1 - Jennings
    2 - Long

    Going to be disappointed if we don't get Jennings, but very excited about the prospect of Jake.

  6. #21
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,495
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Jake Long headed for STL?

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Add Long, slide him in at LT. Draft Chance Warmack at 16 or Jon Cooper at 22, slide them into LG. Move Saffold to RT. Creates: Long/Warmack/Wells/Dahl/Saffold. That's a terrific line. Let them gel and hope they can stay healthy. Add a weapon or two for Sam (one through draft - probably WR, and TE - possibly FA) and we look much better.
    If the offseason buzz is to be believed, Cooper might not last to 22 either. Might have to take him @ 16 if you want him. Dallas, New York, or Chicago could make strong cases for him IMO.

    Let's go back to Av's Probability Model, and the conclusion with a couple different projections was that the Rams might have to take their OL w/ 16 because the chances weren't great they would be available @ 22.

  7. #22
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,628
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Jake Long headed for STL?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Let's go back to Av's Probability Model, and the conclusion with a couple different projections was that the Rams might have to take their OL w/ 16 because the chances weren't great they would be available @ 22.
    Thanks for the plug!

    I will re-run the probability model after the primary FA wave clears. It will be interesting to see if the same conclusion is projected. I suspect it won't be too different, as needs tend to be a "zero sum game" in the aggregate (i.e. Tennessee no longer needs an OG after signing Andy Levitre, but maybe the Bills now would consider Warmack).

  8. #23
    jmk321's Avatar
    jmk321 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    albany
    Posts
    591
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Jake Long headed for STL?

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Thanks for the plug!

    I will re-run the probability model after the primary FA wave clears. It will be interesting to see if the same conclusion is projected. I suspect it won't be too different, as needs tend to be a "zero sum game" in the aggregate (i.e. Tennessee no longer needs an OG after signing Andy Levitre, but maybe the Bills now would consider Warmack).
    The Bills just cut Fitzpatrick so maybe now they will reach for a QB with their first round pick. I'm hoping for any scenario that lands the Rams Warmack or Cooper.

  9. #24
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,628
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Jake Long headed for STL?

    Quote Originally Posted by jmk321 View Post
    The Bills just cut Fitzpatrick so maybe now they will reach for a QB with their first round pick. I'm hoping for any scenario that lands the Rams Warmack or Cooper.
    Maybe, but that really wasn't my point. My point was, I don't know that FA will change the needs of the other 20 teams making Top 22 selections to such a degree that the Rams will be safe passing on Warmack/Cooper (if that is who they want) at #16.

    I will say this, though... if the Rams do land Long, I might be inclined to wait until Round 2 to get an OG (Warford, Bailey, Frederick) and use the two first round picks on other needs.

  10. #25
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,154
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Jake Long headed for STL?

    I wonder if SJax is saying... Great now they go out and get an all pro LT in Jake Long.

  11. #26
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,460
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Jake Long headed for STL?

    " Rams visit w/jake long is set for tomorrow. "

    - Jim Thomas
    Rambos and THOLTFAN81 like this.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  12. #27
    Rammed's Avatar
    Rammed is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    408
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Jake Long headed for STL?

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    " Rams visit w/jake long is set for tomorrow. "

    - Jim Thomas
    If last year is any indication I don't see him leave without a contract.

  13. #28
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,154
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Jake Long headed for STL?

    I see u beat me so I will say don't let him leave without a contract!

  14. #29
    sosa39rams's Avatar
    sosa39rams is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, On
    Posts
    5,460
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Jake Long headed for STL?

    I made a thread yesterday called " Expect a BIG deal for Rams", which stated that we'd have a BIG signing done on Wednesday. Looks like it's coming to fruition.


    THE DREAM TEAM

  15. #30
    C-Mob 71's Avatar
    C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    S. Illinois
    Posts
    1,506
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: Jake Long headed for STL?

    With the Bears signing Jerome Bushrod, I would be shocked if Long left St. Louis without a contract.

    Cook, Long, and Delmas visiting tonight, will be a heck of a day a couple of days.

    Funny how it started yesterday with the doom and gloom of Seattle and the Niners overpaying for wide receivers.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: -03-15-2013, 04:02 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -03-15-2013, 02:22 PM
  3. Replies: 51
    Last Post: -04-11-2008, 02:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •