Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: UPDATE: Jake Long has left St Louis without a signed contract...

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: Jake Long headed for STL?

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    With the Bears signing Jerome Bushrod, I would be shocked if Long left St. Louis without a contract.

Cook, Long, and Delmas visiting tonight, will be a heck of a day a couple of days.

Funny how it started yesterday with the doom and gloom of Seattle and the Niners overpaying for wide receivers.
    Totally agree. The Rams mean business these days, and won't have a problem getting player's to sign on the dotted line.!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

So apparently the Bears signed Bushrod to to a five-year deal worth almost $36 million, $17.715M guaranteed. If he can get that, then Long is going to get at least $8 million annually if not more (word was he was seeking $11 million annually before the legal tampering period began).

If he can return to '09-'10 form, then he's worth every penny of it. If he plays like the Jake Long of the last two years, then I think you have to question if he's enough of an upgrade over Saffold to warrant that kind of money.

Should be interesting to say the least! If the Bears really were the other front runner team besides the Rams, and they're out of the running now, then I would not be surprised if, as others have said, he doesn't leave his visit without a deal.
    Rambos, MauiRam and sosa39rams like this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    This is one of the most fun moments of the offseason. Still I'd rather the Rams keep Amendola and grab a safety/TE.
    Id rather not:
    Amendola is a safetly blanket that Bradford needs to let go of. While Amendola had some good years with us, it looked like Sam only had eyes for Amendola.

I think parting with Danny ultimately will allow Sam to develop past what he is now.
    Varg6 and Vinnie25 like this.

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So apparently the Bears signed Bushrod to to a five-year deal worth almost $36 million, $17.715M guaranteed. If he can get that, then Long is going to get at least $8 million annually if not more (word was he was seeking $11 million annually before the legal tampering period began).

If he can return to '09-'10 form, then he's worth every penny of it. If he plays like the Jake Long of the last two years, then I think you have to question if he's enough of an upgrade over Saffold to warrant that kind of money.

Should be interesting to say the least! If the Bears really were the other front runner team besides the Rams, and they're out of the running now, then I would not be surprised if, as others have said, he doesn't leave his visit without a deal.
    If we can sign Long for 4 years at $35 million with about 50% guaranteed, I'd say we got ourselves a pretty good deal. Of course if he wants a 5-year deal like Bushrod that could get narly for a 28 year old. Incidentally, if you want him to play right tackle, Jeff, Kevin and Les suggest that you tell him. Let's see you sell that one.

Go Rams!
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -03-12-2013 at 08:47 PM.

On the Rams' interest in tackle Jake Long
    March, 12, 2013
    By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

Thoughts on the St. Louis Rams' expected visit with Miami Dolphins free-agent offensive tackle Jake Long:

Clear need: Sixteen players have started on the Rams' offensive line over the past two seasons. The team badly needs stability on its line. Long would stabilize the line.

Protecting Sam: The Rams must give quarterback Sam Bradford a chance for success. They invested in center Scott Wells last offseason. Signing Long would improve the odds of St. Louis winning its bet on Bradford.

Win-win situation: Bradford, like Long, was the first player selected in his draft class. Agent Tom Condon represents both players. Getting the right deal for Long in St. Louis would help Bradford, Long, Condon and the Rams.

Philosophy: As teams figure out how best to allocate money in free agency, the Rams are on record saying they value substantial investments over mid-level ones. Chief operating officer Kevin Demoff put it this way at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference: "If you have $8 million to spend in free agency, you might be better off spending $7 million on one guy and $1 million on the other than buying two players at $4 million." A deal for Long would be a lot closer to the high end than the low end.

2008 revisited: Long was the first pick of the 2008 draft. The Rams drafted defensive end Chris Long second overall that year. They could wind up having both players if talks with Jake Long head in the right direction. Defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, chosen fifth overall by Kansas City that year, was another consideration for the Rams in that 2008 draft. He's a free agent as well.

Saffold's role: Jake Long would start at left tackle for the Rams. Incumbent left tackle Rodger Saffold could move to guard or right tackle if the Rams signed Jake Long.

Flexibility: Signing Long would give the Rams greater flexibility with their two first-round choices this year. Coach Jeff Fisher's teams have never used a first-round choice for an offensive lineman while Fisher was head coach. That streak would be more likely to continue if the Rams signed Long.

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Incidentally, if you want him to play right tackle, Jeff, Kevin and Les suggest that you tell him. Let's see you sell that one.
    Hence why I said in my first response, "But that's probably a non-starter for Jake since it'd be a smaller contract," and in my second response, "There's a part of me that wonders if Long won't sign with a team as a right tackle so the only way to get him is on the left side."

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Hence why I said in my first response, "But that's probably a non-starter for Jake since it'd be a smaller contract," and in my second response, "There's a part of me that wonders if Long won't sign with a team as a right tackle so the only way to get him is on the left side."
    Of course, I was just kidding with you. I'm fearing that Chicago's deal with Bushrod was overpay thus making our task of signing Jake a bit harder. I like that ESPN post you put up. It really solidifies our line and if we draft Jonathan Cooper at Guard, we may have one the best young OL's in the NFL. But I'm getting ahead of myself. On a humorous note, imagine us drafting Kyle Long....there's a joke in there somewhere.

Go Rams!
    Nick likes this.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald predicts the Rams will get free agent LT Jake Long under contract.

Long's Rams visit take place tomorrow, so that's when a deal would go down. Salguero reports the Dolphins believe they have a shot at Long -- and they're still sitting on $20 million in salary cap room -- but Salguero believes a return to Miami is "not happening." It's definitely down to the Rams and Fins.

Hopefully all these rumors and hunches are correct.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Jake Long - T - Dolphins

NFL.com reports free agent LT Jake Long's chances of signing with the Rams "hinge" on his physical.
    Long will take his physical Wednesday. If the results are good, there's a good chance he'll sign on the spot. Long lost a potential suitor when the Bears signed Jermon Bushrod, leaving St. Louis and Miami as his two most realistic landing spots. He'll be in big trouble if the Rams' doctors don't like what they find.
    Related: Rams
    Source: Albert Breer on Twitter
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Get. This. Man. Locked. Up.

As I stated in a previous thread, a FA wave of Cook, Long and Delmas would be some haul. Add in the cherry on top (Retaining Hayes) and I will be quite pleased.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I will say this, though... if the Rams do land Long, I might be inclined to wait until Round 2 to get an OG (Warford, Bailey, Frederick) and use the two first round picks on other needs.
    I like this idea and I understand where your going with this Av, because ultimately, the Rams can throw any big body on the line at Guard (competition with Rok) and make it work like they did last year, surrounding that player with great talents in Long and Wells. The First round could be used to add playmakers on offense and defense.

However, IMO the Rams are a club that have always been through the years in need of blue chip prospects, and with that being said, a guy like Warmack only comes around every few years. BPA all the way, if Warmack is there, make him our next Pro Bowl Guard.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Get. This. Man. Locked. Up.

As I stated in a previous thread, a FA wave of Cook, Long and Delmas would be some haul. Add in the cherry on top (Retaining Hayes) and I will be quite pleased.
    Finish it off with a good draft and this may be the most important off-season in many years.

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Here's a recent report on Long's health:

Dr. Andrews: Jake Long looks 'great'

Updated: March 7, 2013, 11:41 AM ET
    ESPN.com news services

Jake Long's triceps injury that derailed his 2012 season is fully healed as he gets set to test the free-agent market, Dr. James Andrews told Yahoo! Sports.

AFC East blog

ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC East in his division blog.• Blog network: NFL Nation

Andrews, who performed the surgery on Long's triceps, told the website that he saw the Miami Dolphins left tackle on Wednesday and he "looked great."
    Andrews also asked Long about his knee, which he has had surgery on in the past, and told the website that the offensive lineman said "it's the best he has felt in years."
    Long was placed on injured reserve in December because of the left triceps injury.
    Before that injury, the 27-year-old left tackle had missed only two games in five NFL seasons. He was chosen as a Pro Bowl starter each of the three years before 2012.
    The 2008 No. 1 overall pick has become a less dominant blocker as his injuries accumulate. He was slowed by an ankle injury as a rookie and hurt his shoulder in 2010. In 2011 he battled back trouble, then missed the final game with a torn right biceps.
    Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Here's a recent report on Long's health:

Dr. Andrews: Jake Long looks 'great'

Updated: March 7, 2013, 11:41 AM ET
    ESPN.com news services

Jake Long's triceps injury that derailed his 2012 season is fully healed as he gets set to test the free-agent market, Dr. James Andrews told Yahoo! Sports.

AFC East blog

ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC East in his division blog. Blog network: NFL Nation

Andrews, who performed the surgery on Long's triceps, told the website that he saw the Miami Dolphins left tackle on Wednesday and he "looked great."
    Andrews also asked Long about his knee, which he has had surgery on in the past, and told the website that the offensive lineman said "it's the best he has felt in years."
    Long was placed on injured reserve in December because of the left triceps injury.
    Before that injury, the 27-year-old left tackle had missed only two games in five NFL seasons. He was chosen as a Pro Bowl starter each of the three years before 2012.
    The 2008 No. 1 overall pick has become a less dominant blocker as his injuries accumulate. He was slowed by an ankle injury as a rookie and hurt his shoulder in 2010. In 2011 he battled back trouble, then missed the final game with a torn right biceps.
    Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1 now

At last check, both Jake Long and Louis Delmas still in town. In fact, not long ago indications were Long was still taking physical.