Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: UPDATE: Jake Long has left St Louis without a signed contract...

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Update: Rams giving Jake Long the world's longest physical

Former NFL Ops Coordinator on twitter: "I view injuries differently light than everyone else. I see most random events except for certain nagging injuries/areas."

I agree 100%.

THE DREAM TEAM

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Assuming the Rams close the deal, I hereby FORBID any Rams fan from questioning Long's health.

Why?

Because, clearly, after the tests they ran throughout the day yesterday, THE RAMS KNOW MORE THAN YOU DO ABOUT LONG'S HEALTH.

Cosign this a google of times MoFos

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Assuming the Rams close the deal, I hereby FORBID any Rams fan from questioning Long's health.

Why?

Because, clearly, after the tests they ran throughout the day yesterday, THE RAMS KNOW MORE THAN YOU DO ABOUT LONG'S HEALTH.

I disagree. My magic 8-ball said "IT IS DECIDEDLY SO" when I asked if Long was healthy. Pretty sure that counts for more than a silly doctor's opinion.
    eric2810 and FestusRam like this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

From NFL.com:

Jake Long 'hammering out' deal with St. Louis Rams

By Chris Wesseling
    Around the League Writer
    Published: March 14, 2013 at 12:35 p.m.

After spending all day Wednesday having his body poked and probed by the St. Louis Rams' medical staff, free-agent offensive tackle Jake Long finally has the green light.

The Rams are "OK with him medically," NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported on Thursday. The two sides are "hammering out a deal" and expect to have an agreement soon, "barring any snags." Long reportedly was seeking $11 million annually, though he may have to settle for significantly less if the Rams don't have serious competition.

It's hard to blame the Rams for taking their sweet time with the most thorough medical exam in recent memory. Although Long recently received a glowing review by Dr. James Andrews, there has to be some hesitance to part with millions of guaranteed dollars after a string of back, shoulder, biceps, triceps and knee injuries over the past three seasons.

A healthy Long still is a Pro Bowl-caliber left tackle, which should go a long way toward shoring up an offensive line that has been a trouble spot since Orlando Pace entered his decline phase more than a half-decade ago.

If the Rams can convince Roger Saffold to move to right tackle rather than requesting a trade, there is potential for one of the better bookend tandems in the league.
    Rambos and THOLTFAN81 like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It seems to me like there is a lot of baggage there medically that typically I'd be wary of.

But as Av said, the Rams certainly know more than any of us about Jake's health, considering they poked and prodded him for nearly the entire day yesterday. No wonder they had to buy him dinner afterwards, though usually that's supposed to come before the pokes and prods!

With that said, I would not be surprised if a decent amount of the money in this deal is in the form of roster bonuses incorporated into the length of it that could protect the club if injuries became an issue. Even if they say they're comfortable with his health and even if they mean it, they should still be smart about it IMO.
    THOLTFAN81, RamsSB99 and Haste like this.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Jeez just get this thing done already... He's just what we need to keep this thing moving in the right direction...

Man, if Jake's Rams career lasts as long as the process to become a Ram, he'll be worth every penny.
    Curly Horns and THOLTFAN81 like this.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Don't want to be a "negative Nancy" but I can't help but get the feeling that Long and his agent are playing the Rams off of Miami and are just waiting for Miami to make a counter offer that is at least as close to what the Rams have offered.

I hope I am wrong about this but I've seen "negotiations" go in this manner and usually delays like this are really more of a stall tactic by one party to get a better or similar deal elsewhere.

Another possibility is that a team like Detroit that just lost their Left Tackle, Jeff Backus, to retirement may have entered the scene and are making some waves themselves. From what I understand they have more cap room than us although they have signed some significant FAs already.

Again, I hope that I am wrong....

Color me worried.....

WHAT SAY YE?
    Last edited by RAMarkable; -03-14-2013 at 08:42 PM.

KiwiRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Don't want to be a "negative Nancy" but I can't help but get the feeling that Long and his agent are playing the Rams off of Miami and are just waiting for Miami to make a counter offer that is at least as close to what the Rams have offered.

I hope I am wrong about this but I've seen "negotiations" go in this manner and usually delays like this are really more of a stall tactic by one party to get a better or similar deal elsewhere.

Another possibility is that a team like Detroit that just lost their Left Tackle, Jeff Backus, to retirement may have entered the scene and are making some waves themselves. From what I understand they have more cap room than us although they have signed some significant FAs already.

Again, I hope that I am wrong....

Color me worried.....

WHAT SAY YE?
    i've got to say, ive had the same sort of feeling rumbling around. And bang of with the Lions, as soon as i saw the retirement post, i was concerned they might want to jump in on the act.

Im hopeful that Jake Long will be a Ram, and just squeezing 1 more free dinner from the Rams Front Office

Rambos is online now Registered User

Bernie Miklasz ‏@miklasz

The latest on Jake Long is things are in holding pattern; numbers exchanged; apparently Rams waiting to hear back
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Bernie Miklasz ‏@miklasz

The latest on Jake Long is things are in holding pattern; numbers exchanged; apparently Rams waiting to hear back
    This is crazy. I really hope we get him locked up, and if Jake is not pleased with our offer he lets us know so we can move onto another target (Jennings?) I have really grown in favor of the signing, so after three days of hoping, if we don't lock him up it'd be quite the let down.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Bernie Miklasz ‏@miklasz

Let's hope the Rams aren't waiting for Long to hear from Miami, who is looking at the Rams offer, and making a counter offer, then waiting for Long to decide............

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Refuse to allow myself to get excited but perhaps a positive sign:

Per our very own Kevin Demoff:

This is the part when I told them we are considering going to the blue and white uniforms

Thats a picture he tweeted out of him w/ Longs agents TONIGHT at dinner.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Refuse to allow myself to get excited but perhaps a positive sign:

Per our very own Kevin Demoff:

Thats a picture he tweeted out of him w/ Longs agents TONIGHT at dinner.
    I don't know if I'm more excited about Long signing or that Demoff said they are thinking about going back to the blue and white unis!!
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Update: Rams giving Jake Long the world's longest physical

I'm officially done trying to stare at my phone all day (probably gonna check all the time anyway lol)!!!! Ugh, this is driving me insane.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams