throwback week

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: UPDATE: Jake Long has left St Louis without a signed contract...

FolsomFan is offline Registered User

Re: Update: Rams giving Jake Long the world's longest physical

Now that the Dolphins signed Gibson and Keller, I wonder how much cap room they have left.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Update: Rams giving Jake Long the world's longest physical

Don't worry, I'm sure they have plenty for Long

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Miami reporting that Long has left St Louis without a contract...

Actually, i thought the same thing when i read the article, but it did say that he left without an offer. I think the article was wrong. I would bet that we made an offer, but he didnt get the 11 million he wanted. Just an intuition, but i think this is a case where if he can't get a nice raise, he might as well stay where he already lives. I base that on nothing more than a guess, and i am fine either way, because i think we need to be disciplined within our long term rebuilding plan cap wise.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Maybe they gave him a colonoscopy and that was the deciding factor in his decision to leave?

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

Here is what I don't get... seems like the Rams and Long are not close on the numbers. Why did the Rams waste so much time doing the physical first. Seems like it would have made more since to talk numbers and agree in principle prior to the physical. If he agreed to the terms and then fails the physical no deal. Just seems backwards to me.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-15-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 and macrammer like this.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Re: Miami reporting that Long has left St Louis without a contract...

I just read all of Jackie Long's tweets from the last couple of days. I don't like when these free agent players and families are turned into humans with feelings and lives outside of football. Now I feel bad for not signing Jake Long to a contract...

KiwiRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Here is what I don't get... seems like the Rams and Long are not close on the numbers. Why did the Rams waste so much time doing the physical first. Seems like it would have made more since to talk numbers and agree in principle prior to the physical. If he agreed to the terms and then fails then physical no deal. Just seems backwards to me.
    Good Question, maybe they had the framework in place, then during the physical, 'other' teams jumped in, Miami, maybe Lions chimed in gving them pause?

Either way, Jake Long has no incentive to rush, he's the top T on the market and i guess he (agent) will dictate the terms.

maybe Rams didnt want to keep playing cat & mouse and made a stand, at that point, they have little choice but to leave.

maybe he wanted to talk to his family.

lots of maybes ... no signatures

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Here is what I don't get... seems like the Rams and Long are not close on the numbers. Why did the Rams waste so much time doing the physical first. Seems like it would have made more since to talk numbers and agree in principle prior to the physical. If he agreed to the terms and then fails the physical no deal. Just seems backwards to me.
    Not sure how this stuff generally goes, but maybe the physical isn't as clear as pass/fail. Maybe if after the physical you determine that he can play but may be limited then you adjust your offer accordingly. FWIW one of the quotes that was brought up in another thread seemed to indicate that Long probably wasn't going to be 100% healthy ever but the Rams trainers were trying to determine whether he could play through the issues, or something along those lines. That's the type of stuff that probably reduces the offer a bit.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: UPDATE: Jake Long has left St Louis without a signed contract...

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1

Another mysterious tweet from Mrs. Jake Long: "Heading to the airport soon, don't worry...we're getting close to the end of all of this!"

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Am I the only one who gets massively annoyed when a player's spouse thrusts themselves into the spotlight?
    Rambos and THOLTFAN81 like this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

At this point, I will be surprised if Long signs with the Rams, and I do not believe there is a left tackle on the market that represents a large enough upgrade over Saffold to pursue. So I think that chapter of this book is closed, for now.

The Rams thought they could get that kind of upgrade with Long if he was healthy, but I think it's fair to wonder if they were truly 100% comfortable with his medical issues since the two sides couldn't work out a contract.

If the Rams were fine with Long's health, then what was the hold-up? They were willing to pay Cook top money when he hasn't produced, whereas Long has been a Pro Bowl caliber tackle. If health wasn't an issue, he'd have a strong case to be paid.

For Long to be in town as long as he was and then leave without an agreement seems to suggest the door is probably closed on this one. But never say never, I suppose.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    Am I the only one who gets massively annoyed when a player's spouse thrusts themselves into the spotlight?
    Unless that player is Jason Sehorn. Angie Harmon can thrust herself wherever she pleases, thank you very much.
    Bar-bq likes this.

general counsel is offline Registered User

As usual, Mr. Weasel is dead on target with his analysis. The reason that the physical comes first in a case like this is that it is not a formality and its not as simple as pass fail. There are various degrees of conditioning involved here and how healthy he is is a material component in how much the rams are willing to pay.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    For Long to be in town as long as he was and then leave without an agreement seems to suggest the door is probably closed on this one. But never say never, I suppose.
    Looks that way to me to. If the Rams really wanted him, they'd pay. Just my perception, but it seemed from reports that the Rams were okay with his health, but not thrilled.

If the Dolphins can even come close to what the Rams offered, you'd think Long would chose to stay in Miami, not have to move, and appease his overbearing, loudmouth wife.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Look at the wife's web page. She's was on some local cable show and calls herself "TV personality." Total wanna-be.