Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: UPDATE: Saffold fails physical, Raiders contract voided

richtree is offline Registered User

UPDATE: Saffold fails physical, Raiders contract voided

The Baltimore Sun reports the Raiders are expected to sign free agent T/G Rodger Saffold "for roughly $8 million per year."

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Re: Saffold set to sign with Raiders

It's funny that agents leak this stuff. It's not coming from teams, because they could forfeit their #1 pick for tampering. Not allowed to agree to terms even talk them till Tuesday.

If true, so what, I use that money to make sure I get Byrd, and then I draft a guard in Rd 2 or 3.
    Barry Waller

Do they know how many practices, let alone games he has missed in his time here?

And now he is older?

OK, that's fine, we need to move on with a REAL guard, a big tough one, anyway
    Barry Waller

The price of mediocrity is the problem, not the cost of stars.
    In two, three years TOPS, he'll be cut, mark my words.
    Barry Waller

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Dude it's not tampering anymore... Teams are aloud to speak to agents for a 3 day period prior to FA opening. Maybe the agent and the team have already ironed out a contract...

And wow, 8 million per year is just sad. Jared Veldheer the best LT on the market is only going for 7-7.5 million...
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

richtree is offline Registered User

I agree that he is not the answer for that price. I am happy that the Rams front office could see that.

Sometimes the best off-season moves are THE ONES YOU DON'T MAKE.

Now, knowing that we need 2 guards and have an injury at LT and RT isn't that experienced, we need a plan to protect our banged up QB and our new-found Running Back....

It becomes more obvious that the offensive side of the ball will be the priority in the NFL Draft...

The good thing is that we hold good chips and now we just have to put them in the middle at the right time...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Dude it's not tampering anymore... Teams are aloud to speak to agents for a 3 day period prior to FA opening. Maybe the agent and the team have already ironed out a contract...
    Here is some more information regarding the three-day negotiating window, for those who are curious...

Q. What is permitted during the three-day negotiating period prior to the start of free agency?

A. Beginning at 12:00 noon ET on Saturday, March 8 and ending at 3:59:59 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 11, clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2013 player contracts at 4:00 p.m. ET on March 11. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m. ET on March 11.

During this negotiation period, a prospective unrestricted free agent cannot visit a club (other than the player’s current club) at its permanent facility or at any other location, and no direct contact is permitted between the player and any employee or representative of a club (other than the player’s current club). If a player is self-represented, clubs are prohibited from discussions with the player during the negotiating period.

Clubs (other than the player’s current club) may not discuss or make any travel arrangements with prospective unrestricted free agent players, their certified agents, or anyone else associated with the player until the expiration of those players’ 2013 Player Contracts at 4:00 p.m. ET on March 11.

The three-day negotiating period applies only to potential unrestricted free agents; it does not apply to players who are potential Exclusive Rights Players or Restricted Free Agents, or to players who have been designated as Franchise Players or Transition Players.
    NFL Communications - 2014 NFL Free Agency Questions & Answers «

If this Saffold-to-Raiders-for-$8M is legit, then it's basically what everyone and their mother predicted: Rodger was able to get a bigger deal on the market for his services than what the Rams were likely willing to pay. Very Amendola-ish.

I wish him the best, but if it's going to cost $8 million per year to keep him, I'll pass and try to find a solution elsewhere.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    Do they know how many practices, let alone games he has missed in his time here?

And now he is older?

OK, that's fine, we need to move on with a REAL guard, a big tough one, anyway
    You sound bitter about him possibly leaving, while at the same time implying that he's a fake guard anyway.

If we can try to nail down one of Geoff Schwartz or Jon Asamoah, we absolutely should. 4/5 mill a year.

THE DREAM TEAM

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

The fact that he's likely going to the Raiders, who are quite some distance from being a playoff team, shows that it was always about the money with him. I wish him well.

I actually have a reason on occasion when he's not injured to watch a Raider game as it's a local game for me, not that I'm so pleased about that fact. He'll certainly hear it when he visits St. Louis this season.

Go Rams!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1
    Saffold tells Rams he's going elsewhere. Story to come.
    For semi-confirmation's sake.

general counsel is online now Registered User

I cant say i am shocked. There is simply too much money chasing too few offensive tackles.

That being said, we have an expression in our business that i think applies perfectly to this situation. If you are going to lose, better to lose big. At 8 million per year, there is nothing to second guess and no reason to wonder about whether we should have ponied up the last few dollars. I think we would all agree (and i bet the Rams would as well) that 8 million per year was way above what we were comfortable with. That would explain why saffold told the rams already that he is going elsewhere. Seems like he knew that the Rams werent going to come close to that number.

As to the "all about the money" comment, i dont think its fair. The guy is a professional. These guys have short careers. he is absolutely entitled to do what is best for him and his family. Why should he take less money to stay? What i will remember about Saffold is that he played three different positions for us, played hard, and never publicly complained once about having his position moved around. Sure, he got hurt, he certainly didnt do it on purpose. I wish him nothing but the best.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

The Raiders play the Rams at the EJD this year. Good luck against Quinn, Rodger.

THE DREAM TEAM

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    The fact that he's likely going to the Raiders, who are quite some distance from being a playoff team, shows that it was always about the money with him. I wish him well.
    How many players do you think aren't playing for the money?
    rammiser likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rodger Saffold - T - Rams

Free agent G/T Rodger Saffold informed the Rams on Sunday that he won't be re-signing.
    Saffold is expected to sign with either Tampa Bay or Oakland. The Raiders are the favorites with reports indicating they're offering Saffold a whopping $8 million per year. Before free agency, we would've said Saffold "did well" if he landed a contract worth $6 million annually. The Rams have an awful lot of work to do on the offensive line. They badly wanted Saffold back to play guard.
    Related: Raiders, Buccaneers
    Source: Jim Thomas on Twitter

Mar 9 - 9:20 PM
    Harvey Dahl - G - Rams

ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner expects the team to release RG Harvey Dahl in the "very near future."
    St. Louis is currently dealing with arguably the worst offensive line situation in football, but Dahl is severely overpaid with $4 million in salary and bonuses going on age 33. By releasing Dahl, the Rams' salary cap room would increase to $15 million. They're on the verge of losing free agent G/T Rodger Saffold, LT Jake Long tore his ACL and MCL in Week 16, and C Scott Wells is another overpaid, injury-prone veteran in swift decline.
    Source: ESPN.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast