shower beers is offline Registered User

Updated Draftcountdown mock -- 2 OL first round discussion

Has the Rams with these two picks:

No. 16 - Chance Womack

No. 18 - Jake Matthews

I know it's been mentioned as a possibility before, but I believe this is the first high profile mock draft that I've seen that has us going this route.

What would you guys think of this? With Elam "50-50" on returning for a senior season, there might not be a top safety pick there. I'm not sure a WR pick is the answer there either. I could see a 2008(?) repeat when there wasn't a round 1 wideout taken.

Personally, I wouldn't mind this route one bit. I like our chances of a second round receiver or tight end being there for added weapons, as well as a safety if we so choose. Thoughts?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Updated Draftcountdown mock -- 2 OL first round discussion

If this was to happen it would show me the Rams are making a commitment to protecting Sam and running the ball. If this is what we did I would like it...

We could get a safety later in the draft or in FA.

We could grab a TE, or maybe one of the WR falls out of the first round too the second.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Honestly I would prefer grabbing one of Warmack or Matthews and Eifert.

gummysoul is offline Registered User

Would love this, but not feeling all that confident that either Warmack and Matthews will even be there by the time it's the Rams turn to pick. I'm confident Fisher and Snead will make do with the bpa at their respective positions.

Quote Originally Posted by gummysoul View Post
    Would love this, but not feeling all that confident that either Warmack and Matthews will even be there by the time it's the Rams turn to pick. I'm confident Fisher and Snead will make do with the bpa at their respective positions.
    Warmack will be there. Our pick is #15 and likely not going to move much(I think we win one and lose one). Only once in the last 10 years has a guard gone top twenty and that was 17.

DeCastro was just as good a prospect as Warmack and didn't even get drafted until #24. Nfl personnel do not rate guards as highly as fans do.

As for Matthews, it depends on Lewan. If Lewan doesn't come out Jake will go higher. If he does I think he'll be in that 15-20 range.

gummysoul is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    Warmack will be there. Our pick is #15 and likely not going to move much(I think we win one and lose one). Only once in the last 10 years has a guard gone top twenty and that was 17.

DeCastro was just as good a prospect as Warmack and didn't even get drafted until #24. Nfl personnel do not rate guards as highly as fans do.

As for Matthews, it depends on Lewan. If Lewan doesn't come out Jake will go higher. If he does I think he'll be in that 15-20 range.
    I hope you're right, but everything I've read seems to say that Warmack is the best guard prospect to come out in years and likely top 10. I'm sure the combines will settle all that. I hope he drops because we need all the line help we can get.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I hope you're right, but everything I've read seems to say that Warmack is the best guard prospect to come out in years and likely top 10. I'm sure the combines will settle all that. I hope he drops because we need all the line help we can get.

I really doubt he'll be top 10. I'm not really worried about him being off the board when we pick. Matthews might be another story. I think the premium put on the position and lack of competition gives him a bump come draft day. If it were me, I'd actually swap those picks and go Matthews first if he were there. Guys like Barrett Jones and Larry Warford may be available in the 2nd if Womack is snatched up in between. I've even seen Eric Reed falling into the mid 2nd round in some mocks.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I like Warmack's chances of being there @ 16 much more than I do Matthews' chances of being there @ 18. Maybe that's just me, though. I have Matthews as the #2 OT in this class, ahead of Lewan even if he comes out.

If the Rams go OL with their first two picks, that will go a long way in fixing that unit. I hope, though, that one reason they're able to do that is because they've helped Sam out in free agency by adding some weapons to the passing game.

Making minimal additions to the weaponry in free agency and then double dipping for the OL in the first round will leave the Rams once again crossing their fingers that a Day 2-3 weapon will somehow turn into a gem for them, which they've not had good luck with in the past to say the least.

MrLegend28 is offline Registered User

I dont want us going anywhere near a WR in the 1st. We got Amendola, and Givens is getting better and becoming the vertical threat. We spent a 2nd on Quick last year, hes gonna get better hes slow to learning. I'd much rather go for a WR via FA as evident from Givens being, a 4th I believe? You can find good WRs late worst case.

However, I doubt Fisher drafts oline. Look at his draft history, not many OLs drafted in the 1st round under him.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I'm skeptical that the Rams will pick two offensive linemen after Fisher has never drafted any in the first round. I know we heard that a lot last year, but low and behold, it didn't happen. I could see (and would love either one of them) but I also really like Eifert in the late first. If the Redskins keep winning, that second pick could be early to mid 20's.

The Rams don't have a lot of money to spend in free agency this year, so it will depend on who's available, but I'd rather take a known commodity for the offense. If they take care of that in the offseason, maybe they do take a couple linemen.

They said the exact same thing last year about DeCastro.

also where did you see he'll go top 10? I haven't seen one mock draft with him going before 15.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
    I dont want us going anywhere near a WR in the 1st. We got Amendola, and Givens is getting better and becoming the vertical threat. We spent a 2nd on Quick last year, hes gonna get better hes slow to learning. I'd much rather go for a WR via FA as evident from Givens being, a 4th I believe? You can find good WRs late worst case.

However, I doubt Fisher drafts oline. Look at his draft history, not many OLs drafted in the 1st round under him.
    I would rather sign a WR as well but if we don't we should draft one in the first 2 rounds. Sure you can find good receivers in the mid rounds but nearly every single elite receiver is a former first or 2nd round pick.

Of the top ten receivers(in yards this year)

1. Calvin Johnson 1st round 2nd overall
    2. Brandon Marshall 4th round 119 overall
    3. Andre Johnson 1st round 3rd overall
    4. Roddy White 1st round 27 overall
    5. Reggie Wayne 1st round 30 overall
    6. Vincent Jackson 2nd round 61 overall
    7. Demaryius Thomas 1st round 22 overall
    8. AJ Green 1st round 4 overall
    9. Wes Welker undrafted
    10. Julio Jones 1st round 6 overall
    11. Dez Bryant 1st round 24 overall

So of the top 11 receivers only 2 were not taken in the first 2 rounds. Basically the prototypical tall, fast #1 receivers are rarely found in later rounds. You can find slot or possession receivers but with Givens, Gibson, Amendola, and Pettis we don't need one of them.