RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Updated NFLDraftCountDown.com's First/Second Round Mock Picks for the Rams

13. ST. LOUIS RAMS
    AMOBI OKOYE DT | Louisville | Scouting Report
    Once again the Rams defense was abysmal in 2006, especially against the run, so the odds are they will be looking for some help in the front seven. Inside at tackle Jimmy Kennedy has not lived up to his lofty draft status and will be hitting the open market soon while La'Roi Glover has not really panned out after being brought in as a free agent so it would not be shocking to see them look to bring in an elite young talent in the middle. The NFL Draft has rarely, if ever, seen a prospect like Okoye, who played in college as a 16-year-old true freshman and as a result will still only be a 20-year-old rookie next fall despite having four years of Division I experience. Okoye is coming off a terrific '06 campaign and an eye-opening performance at the Senior Bowl so his stock is soaring right now and teams are falling in love with his upside, which is through the roof. Outside linebacker and defensive end are also considerations and don't rule out Ted Ginn, Jr. either, who would be a major upgrade on special teams and help replace Kevin Curtis as Isaac Bruce's heir apparent at wide receiver if he does indeed bolt as a free agent as expected.

Scouting Report
    Amobi Okoye
    Height: 6-1 | Weight: 317 | 40-Time: 5.15

Official Bio

Strengths:
    Extremely strong...A solid athlete with good measurables...Stout against the run and is able to take on multiple blockers...Gets a good push and will collapse the pocket...Is able to shed blocks and clog up the middle...Shows great instincts for the game and is still developing...Smart player who is mature beyond his years and wants to improve...Quick and will penetrate and rush the passer...Still has a ton of potential and he could really be physically molded by a pro strength coach.

Weaknesses:
    Doesn't always play with proper leverage...Does not have a great burst of closing speed...Has to develop some additional pass rush moves...Is inconsistent and will disappear from the action at times...Needs some technique work and is not yet a finished product...Is he overrated simply due to his being extraordinarily young?

Notes:
    Has four years of Division I playing experience but will still only be a 20-year-old rookie in the NFL...A native of Nigeria who tested into the 9th grade as a 12-year-old and played at Louisville as a 16-year-old true freshman in '03...The NFL Draft has never seen a prospect quite like this and even though he is already a very good player now it's his upside that is really intriguing...Impact interior lineman

52. ST. LOUIS RAMS
    Anthony Gonzalez WR | Ohio St. | Scouting Report
    Curtis and McDonald both may leave as free agents and he can help as a return man as well.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Updated NFLDraftCountDown.com's First/Second Round Mock Picks for the Rams

I'd be really surprised if we took Gonzalez, but ya never know I guess.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

snowbozo21 is offline Registered User

I don't like it at all, we need a space eater in there. As for gonzalez, I would say he was exposed in the National Championship Game. Once Ginn was out of the game to stretch the field, it seemed like he was never open, or maybe it was the fact Smith that never had enough time to throw the ball. Either way, we should get steve breaston in the 4th round. He will fill our return needs and will be a capable slot reciever.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't like it at all, we need a space eater in there.
    Well, maybe, maybe not. We say we need a big DT, because they are typically the ones that require double teams inside, thereby relieving pressure on the Ends and the MLB. However, a DT consistently penetrating can be just as effective at occupying blockers. Whether it be by size or speed, any DT who is disruptive can pull additional blockers opening up LBs inside and putting our DEs in single-man blocking (something Little rarely gets to see).

If Okoye consistently gets behind the LOS, that's every bit as good as a 350 lb. brickhouse at NT.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I've heard nothing but good things about Okoye. I would be happy with him at #13.

MASSIVE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I've heard nothing but good things about Okoye. I would be happy with him at #13.
    This kid(Okoye) would be a great addition to our team but he is to raw and young to play every down, We need to sign a DT and a DE with NFL experience and use a rotation on the d-line to maximize our talent.:l

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by snowbozo21 View Post
    I don't like it at all, we need a space eater in there. As for gonzalez, I would say he was exposed in the National Championship Game. Once Ginn was out of the game to stretch the field, it seemed like he was never open, or maybe it was the fact Smith that never had enough time to throw the ball. Either way, we should get steve breaston in the 4th round. He will fill our return needs and will be a capable slot reciever.
    Gonzalez isn't coming in to be our number 1 if he comes in and is our 3rd for a couple years and with Holt and Bruce on the field one of them will probably be stretching the field and hopefully he can break out of that mold by the time he moves into the second receiver hole.

Dominator is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by snowbozo21 View Post
    I don't like it at all, we need a space eater in there.

There aren't that many quality big DT's out there. Okoye's actual weight is 287, but his listed weight (which is all we know for many of these prospects) was 25lbs higher. It's possible he lost some weight to try to time well at the combine. Besides, the kid is 19 he's more likely to bulk up than some 25 year old rookie.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dominator View Post
    It's possible he lost some weight to try to time well at the combine. Besides, the kid is 19 he's more likely to bulk up than some 25 year old rookie.
    He didn't lose weight specifically for the combine. His listed weight just didn't reflect his playing weight through the season. Even Okoye is on record as saying his ideal playing weight is around 295 pounds. Yes he has room to grow, but he's simply not going to be the massive nose tackle many people initially viewed him as.

Dominator is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    He didn't lose weight specifically for the combine. His listed weight just didn't reflect his playing weight through the season. Even Okoye is on record as saying his ideal playing weight is around 295 pounds. Yes he has room to grow, but he's simply not going to be the massive nose tackle many people initially viewed him as.
    Yeah, losing the weight purposely is more for wr and Rb (like Leonard). Is it that important to have a 315+ DT in a 4-3? It's not like you guys are playing a 2 gap 3-4 where the guy is trying to tie up 3 blockers.