Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Updated Scott Wright Mock Draft (4/14)

I like the draft a lot.

In round two, earlier in the process I was not a big fan of Robiskie as a second round option. But after hearing an interview with him on Sirius Radio, he really impressed me with his composure and intelligence.

Britt and Nicks are a bit more hyped but I don't get the impression they've really helped themselves that much this offseason. I've been waiting for a guy like Britt to challenge Darrius Heyward Bey as the #3 receiver in this class but it just hasn't happened. Nicks caused some people to do a double take with his quick weight gain and loss around the time of his pro day.

I like all three as WR options for us in round two, but I can see how someone could make a case for Robiskie above the others.

As for other second round options, I also think Spagnuolo might be intrigued by a guy like Sintim to serve in kind of a Kiwanukis role when he moved to LB. I wouldn't rule out a DB there either.

In the third round, I think the Rams will find some decent value at MLB and can find someone they can plug in on the inside and then sub out in passing situations if need be.

I'm not head over heels with Darry Beckwith as a 4-3 MLB. To me, that leaves Brinkley and Phillips as the next two guys. Phillips gets the edge in intelligence and instincts, which might be the selling point for me. If he checks out healthy, I think he'd be a good option for the third round.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I can see how someone could make a case for Robiskie above the others.
    Is it just me, or is there something about Robiskie that seems to fit Devaney's "pillars" a little better than the others? Maybe it's just my own perception, but I can see Robiskie being a Devaney kind of guy.

Speaking of Devaney (and Spags for that matter) kind of guy....
    Phillips gets the edge in intelligence and instincts, which might be the selling point for me.
    I just bet they love this kid. What a warrior. But, like you, I'm curious how that knee checks out. Also, this kid isn't any bigger than Spoon, so I'm wondering how he would do without a big greasy ape in front of him.
    Last edited by HUbison; -04-17-2009 at 09:18 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Speaking of Devaney (and Spags for that matter) kind of guy....I just bet they love this kid. What a warrior. But, like you, I'm curious how that knee checks out. Also, this kid isn't any bigger than Spoon, so I'm wondering how he would do without a big greasy ape in front of him.
    Heck, this kid isn't any bigger or faster or more athletic than David Vobora. If we are going to go in this direction we might as well save the pick and put Vobora at MIKE as Phillips isn't much if any better than him, and we could save the pick for a player of value.

BTW the draft site Great Blue North has Jason Phillips rated as the 122nd player in this draft. According to my calculations that puts him at the end of the 4th round, not the top of the 3rd. Yeah, I know its only their opinion, but still...

WHAT SAY YE?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    BTW the draft site Great Blue North has Jason Phillips rated as the 122nd player in this draft. According to my calculations that puts him at the end of the 4th round, not the top of the 3rd. Yeah, I know its only their opinion, but still...

WHAT SAY YE?
    And Kurt Warner, James Harrison, and Fast Willie Parker weren't even drafted, yet were crucial for getting their teams to the Super Bowl. Just sayin. If you think the player's worth the pick take him, as you never know who will star and who won't.

I think that a run on 2nd tier OT's, DT's and WR's will leave a good linebacker down low enough that we can either trade back up(boo) or sit and cherry pick a very good and very good value pick for the defense in round 2. Laurinaitus might not make it to us, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i like Scott Wrights evaluation of players but i never seem to like who he has us picking..

this one is the same..you could argue that every pick is a reach..i know i could!

Robiskie i like a lot and wouldnt be too sad about picking him..even tho i think a very slight reach and with other more crucial holes to fill i would personally pick another position...but the others, i hope we dont draft Lady legs and Gammy knee.

Kenny Britt i feel would be perfect for the WCO but then theres the character issues...maybe Spags seeing the headwork Plax caused even on a SB winning team, has put him off questionable character WR`s for life.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    i like Scott Wrights evaluation of players but i never seem to like who he has us picking..

this one is the same..you could argue that every pick is a reach..i know i could!
    Couldn't have said it any better than that, RR. I know a lot of folks on this here board like Mr. Wright's assessments of players, but he couldn't have done a worse job for the Rams in his mock if he was smokin' some of the Mary Jane. Just went to Scottie's web site and found out that he has Jason Phillips rated as the 126th best player on his overall board; yet he has the Rams taking this clown in the 3rd round with the 67th pick. Huh?! Is he kidding?
    Moreover, he states on Phillips bio that this guy has limited athletic skills and may some day win a starting job. Gosh, I know I'm just tingling all over with that info.

Look maybe at some point J. Phillips develops into a pretty fair player, but why can't we take him in the 4th or 5th round where he belongs. It's draft choices like this that have gotten us 5 wins in the last two years.

Just gotta hope that Billy and the boys aren't thinking along these same lines.

WHAT SAY YE?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Just went to Scottie's web site and found out that he has Jason Phillips rated as the 126th best player on his overall board; yet he has the Rams taking this clown in the 3rd round with the 67th pick.
    I understand you disagree with the pick, but is it really necessary to refer to Phillips as a clown? I could understand if he had some character or maturity issues, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. He seems to be a very hard working player who is extremely smart and instinctual.

Maybe Scott did project him a round early, maybe not. There were probably plenty of Rams fans who were saying of Donnie Avery the same thing you're saying about Phillips now - maybe he turns out to be a decent player but why can't we get him a round or two later? Phillips had an excellent college career and followed it up with a very good showing at the combine before blowing his knee. If teams aren't concerned with his injury status, it wouldn't surprise me to see him come off the board in the third round. For what it's worth, Sporting News has him going in the third round to the Eagles and indicated in their player profile of him that they viewed him at one point as a second rounder.

Anyways, I think perhaps the most interesting new development in Scott's mock is how he has the Kansas City Chiefs passing on Aaron Curry. Here's his reasoning for the Chief's pick, Virginia OT Eugene Monroe...

Most mock drafts have had Aaron Curry penciled in here for months and while that is still a distinct possibility it's far from a lock. Linebacker is certainly a need but general manager Scott Pioli might be more inclined to protect his new quarterback Matt Cassell and financially it makes more sense to invest the $30+ million guaranteed dollars this choice will command in a left tackle. Eugene Monroe is the next great blocker to come out of Virginia and in addition his excellent feet he's also the best all-around offensive tackle in this draft. Combining Monroe with his former college teammate Branden Albert would give Kansas City an elite set of bookends for the next decade. Aaron Curry is still very much in the mix too though and not only could the Chiefs use a stud linebacker but everyone seems to agree that he's one of the 2-3 best prospects in this draft. If the right deal presented itself Pioli would probably jump at the chance to move down, save money and stockpile more valuable picks.
    Wright isn't the only one who has Curry slipping by the Chiefs now. Charlie Casserly's latest mock draft has Curry slipping to tenth. Then you've got a guy like Rick Gosselin who, in his second mock draft of the year which he says is based on team need, has Curry going first overall to Detroit. So who knows what's going on.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-18-2009 at 02:16 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12