• 1 Post By Vinnie25
  • 1 Post By citr92

Thread: USC SS Bailey to enter NFL Draft

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

USC SS Bailey to enter NFL Draft

USC SS Bailey to enter NFL Draft
    By Derek Harper | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
    December 23, 2013 5:44 PM ET

Southern California junior safety Dion Bailey announced he will forego his final year of eligibility and enter the 2014 NFL Draft.

Bailey is currently the top-ranked junior strong safety prospect, according to NFLDraftScout.com ratings, but is not currently projected as a first-round pick. With good pre-draft workouts, Bailey could battle Washington State senior Deone Bucannon to be the first strong safety selected in May.

The 6-foot, 210-pound Bailey led the Trojans with five interceptions and broke up six passes as a junior. He finished fourth on the team with 62 tackles, including 6 1/2 for losses.

"My time spent here at the University of Southern California has been a blast. I wouldn't take back or trade anything that's happened throughout these past four years that I've been here," Bailey said. "Making the decision to attend this university and play football here has really changed me as a man and helped me grow for the better."

Bailey has already earned an undergraduate degree in policy, according to ESPNLosAngeles.com, and leaves finishes his Trojans career with 222 tackles and 11 interceptons.

"The main reason behind ultimately making this decision is that me and my parents feel like I've done a lot in my career here at SC, making all-conference at two different positions, being pretty productive," said Bailey, who discussed the decision with his family following USC's 45-20 victory over Fresno State in the Las Vegas Bowl on Saturday. "I just feel that there isn't much more I can do to improve my individual performance numbers-wise."

Bailey was recruited as a safety out of Lakewood, Calif., but moved to strong-side linebacker in 2010. Following shoulder surgery, he returned to safety in 2013.

Other top strong safety prospects for 2014 include Baylor's Ahmad Dixon (No. 69 prospect overall), Virginia's Anthony Harris (No. 104) and LSU's Craig Loston (No. 131).

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: USC SS Bailey to enter NFL Draft

Would TJ Mcdonald and Dio Bailey be able to play together in the NFL game? TJ seems like a Strong Safety as well. Would be nice to have Bailey, Mcdonald, and Mcloud on the field together. Would be able to come up with some neat packages.
    Randart likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Here's another article...

USC football: Dion Bailey to make himself available for NFL draft
    By Gary Klein
    December 23, 2013, 1:25 p.m.

USC safety Dion Bailey announced Monday that he would forgo his final season of eligibility and make himself available for the NFL draft.

Bailey, a fourth-year junior, intercepted five passes this season, 11 in his career. He started the previous two seasons at linebacker.

“With me graduating and having my degree already, and being healthy and coming off a really good season, I feel it’s best for me to enter the draft now,” he said during a news conference at the university's John McKay Center.

Bailey is one of several draft-eligible Trojans who will be deciding in the next few weeks whether to turn pro or remain at USC. Junior receiver Marqise Lee is projected as a possible first-round draft pick and is expected to turn pro.

Bailey said he had met with new Coach Steve Sarkisian before the Las Vegas Bowl and that Sarkisian told him he would support whatever decision Bailey made.

Bailey said he did not request a draft evaluation from the NFL but did speak with former Trojans in the league, including cornerback Nickell Robey, who left USC after last season and went undrafted.

Robey signed as a free agent with the Buffalo Bills and is playing a significant role for the team.

“It shows me where you’re drafted doesn’t matter,” Bailey said. “So I’m not nervous about the draft anymore.

“The higher you’re drafted, the better it is when comes to money, but really, when it comes to talent and productivity on the field, where you’re drafted doesn’t matter because at the end of the day only 11 people can go on the field. And they’re going to put the best 11 out there.

“So I’m just praying and hoping for an opportunity, that one team believes in me enough to give me an opportunity to show them what I can do.”

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Bailey has the tools to play FS, and in many defenses there relly isn't a true strong or weak side safety.

He and McDonald could certainly both start, as both are great athletes with good hands and ball skils.

I could see Bailey going very very early in round two. It depends on hos he works out and runs.
    Randart likes this.
    Barry Waller

Vinnie25 is online now Registered User

I love how this kid plays, he's really athletic, smart, and extremely versatile. He's not the fastest guy out there, but he always seems to be in the right place and he flies to the ball. I wouldn't take him in the 1st round, but if he's still available in the 3rd round I'd love this guy on our team. I doubt he'd fall that far though, with his versatility I could see Belichick and the Patriots snatching him up because he'd fit their system perfectly
    citr92 likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Bailey will be a SS in the nfl

sad to see him leave USC

but dang it the kid is ALWAYS around the ball

great tackler, SC fans know he's even played linebacker

won't dazzle with measurements, but the dude can PLAY

would LOVE LOVE LOVE him on the rams

edit: though i wouldn't doubt he could play FS if coaches wanted him to
    Last edited by citr92; -12-25-2013 at 08:03 PM.
    Randart likes this.