Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

UW quarterback Brett Smith will enter NFL draft

UW quarterback Brett Smith will enter NFL draft
    Posted: Friday, December 27, 2013 9:30 pm | Updated: 10:00 pm, Fri Dec 27, 2013.
    By Robert Gagliardi
    rgagliardi@wyosports.net | 0 comments

University of Wyoming junior quarterback Brett Smith has decided he will declare for the upcoming NFL Draft and forego his senior season.

He informed University of Wyoming athletics director Tom Burman of his decision late Friday afternoon.

"In all honesty I thought about it for a long time and I just want to pursue the NFL dream," said Smith in a phone interview from his home in Salem, Ore., Friday night.

"It's been my dream since I was a little kid to be an NFL quarterback. I have an opportunity now and I want to go try and take it."

Smith said he filed paperwork with the NFL and its scouting department as many college players do after their junior seasons. Smith did not elaborate on what feedback he received or where he may be projected in the 2014 NFL Draft May 8-10.

"Based off the evaluation that didn't have anything to do with it, or not a lot to do with it," Smith said. "At the end of the day I wanted to go and try and take on my biggest dream."

Smith said he has not hired an agent, but plans to do so. He also plans to look for a place to train for the draft.

Smith threw for 3,375 yards and 29 touchdowns in 2013 and completed 62.7 percent of his passes. He also ran for 573 yards and four touchdowns.

Smith is UW's all-time leader in total offense with 10,365 yards. He also is the school-record holder for touchdowns responsible for (97) and touchdown passes (76). His 8,834 passing yards in second in school history.

He set the single-game UW record for total offense with 640 yards against Hawaii on Nov. 23.

Smith said his decision had nothing to do with the firing of coach Dave Christensen after the season-finale at Utah State and the hiring of new coach Craig Bohl.

Smith said he met with Bohl and new offensive coordinator Brent Vigen recently at his home in Oregon, and also met with Bohl a couple of time before that.

"(Bohl) is such a great guy and I'm disappointed I never got to play for him," Smith said.

Bohl and Vigen traveled to Oregon and Washington the weekend of Dec. 21 and 22 to visit both Smith and redshirt sophomore quarterback Jason Thompson and talked with them about the future the program.

Thompson was listed as UW's backup this past season, but redshirted and will have three years of eligibility at UW.

“We wish Brett (Smith) and his family the best as he chases his dream to play at the NFL level,” said Burman in a news release from the school. “Brett has been a great ambassador for our athletics department, our university and the state of Wyoming. We will miss him, and I know Wyoming fans and his teammates will miss him."

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: UW quarterback Brett Smith will enter NFL draft

From from CBS Sports' Dane Brugler...

Wyoming junior quarterback Brett Smith announced on Friday that he will forego his senior season and enter the 2014 NFL Draft. Although he isn't a well-known NFL prospect, he is an underrated passer who has the talent to be drafted among the top-100 picks.

Smith is ranked as the No. 8 quarterback prospect for May's NFL Draft by NFLDraftScout.com. He is the first underclassman quarterback to officially add his name to the 2014 draft class.

Smith, who is reminiscent of a more controlled version of Johnny Manziel, is a better athlete than given credit with deceiving mobility and very quick feet to be elusive in the pocket and avoid pressure. He has good-enough height and has worked hard to bulk up his frame, spending considerable time in the weight room. Smith scans the field quickly, works through his reads and does an excellent job recognizing soft spots in coverage pre-snap. He is a gutsy competitor who plays the game of football with a chip on his shoulder and he'll win over NFL coaches with his attitude, work ethic and overall football passion.

Smith is extremely confident, but almost to a fault as he tests small passing windows too often, throwing into tight coverage and hoping for a positive play. He has good enough arm strength for the next level, but lacks elite velocity especially when he can't step into his throws. Smith can get jumpy and skittish in the pocket and needs to get his footwork under control. He is a high-completion passer, but his accuracy will dip when throwing on the run.

If Smith played in the SEC or another major conference, he would be a much better known quarterback prospect. A native of Salem, Oregon, he re-wrote the high school record books and was the 2010 Gatorade Oregon Football Player of the Year, but didn't receive much attention from Pac 12 schools. His only FBS-level offers were San Jose State and Wyoming, choosing the Cowboys and starting from day one as a freshman.

Smith leaves Wyoming with several school records, finishing his career with 76 touchdown passes and 97 scores overall. He set new career-bests in 2013 with 3,375 passing yards, 62.7% completions (293-for-467) and 29 passing touchdowns. On Nov. 23, Smith set a new Mountain West and Wyoming single-game record against Hawai'i with 640 yards of total offense (498 passing, 142 rushing) and eight total touchdowns (7 passing, 1 rushing).

Although Smith played well this year, the 2013 season was a disappointment as Wyoming finished 5-7, losing five of the final six games. Smith's announcement comes just weeks after Craig Bohl was named the new head coach at Wyoming, taking over for Dave Christensen, who was fired Dec. 1 after five seasons in Laramie.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Re: UW quarterback Brett Smith will enter NFL draft

Love it. Great QB to take in rounds 3-5 range for a developmental guy. Would really like seeing this guy carrying a clipboard and spelling Sam in our blowout wins next year.