Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Vaccaro ? No Freaking Way in Round One!!

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Vaccaro ? No Freaking Way in Round One!!

Vaccaro will NEVER be a stud. If he was a race horse, he would win some claiming races due to courage and heart, but when he moved up in class, he'd end up in the glue factory or as someone's pet.

He has serious height and speed and athletic liabilities, and I doubt he goes in round one. You won't find ONE safety at 6 ft 213 that ran 4.63 and was a first rounder, let alone top 22.

The only safety with first round credentials is Eric Reid, and maybe Jon Cyprien if he runs under 4.5 *didn't run at combine) And I would bet Samarko Thomas goes before a lot of other bigger name safeties, If yu go short, may as well go really fast with Thomas.

Barry Waller

Re: Vaccaro ? No Freaking Way in Round One!!

OK I see Cyprien ran 4.56 at his pro day, NOT top 22 stuff to me.
    Barry Waller

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

IMO, Vaccaro's strengths and weaknesses would make him a good corner. He'll take poor angles at some point when attempting to make tackles but his coverage skills would make him a reliable CB.

EDIT: That said, I don't think he's worth a 1st rounder, much prefer getting Elam or Swearinger either at the 1st or elsewhere.
    Last edited by Flippin' Ram; -03-22-2013 at 07:40 PM.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I'll guess we'll know in a few weeks. But Rob Rang, Dane Brugler, Pat Kirwan, Pete Prisco, Clark Judge, Will Brinson, Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Matt Miller and Mike Mayock all disagree at this point.
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-22-2013 at 08:18 PM.
    Rambos and ManofGod like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Beastified is offline Registered User

I agree with you Barry on Vaccaro, I don't like him (but I think he'll go in the 1st round). Cyprien on the other hand, looks like a legit 1st rounder to me.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'll guess we'll know in a few weeks. But Rob Rang, Dane Brugler, Pat Kirwan, Pete Prisco, Clark Judge, Will Brinson, Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Matt Miller and Mike Mayock all disagree at this point.
    I was going to say the same thing. So many forget that the draft is about "potential' as much as anything else & that is what makes Vaccaro a 1st rounder in so many ppl's eyes. He has the "prototypical" size and coverage ability you want in a FS. As Flip stated, he could easily be a corner (minus the 4.6 speed being an issue).

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Has everyone forgotten about Elam... Go watch his high lites on --- tube... He's the best tacking Safety coming out this year... And he played against some awesome teams in the SEC... He's the only true first rounder... You can keep Vaccaro, Cyprien or Swearinger...
    lostsoul and ZiaRam like this.

"Pototypical size"? Maybe for a guy who runs 4.4 or under. 6ft tall is not ideal size and length NOW
    You want prototypical size for a FS in 2013, see Harrison Smith, 6-2 215 and 4.45., Mark Barron 6-1 1/2 213. The 6 ft guys at FS go around 200-205, like Berry, Thomas, Reed run around 4.4 , not 4.6, and 6 ft 213 is too small for a SS.

You will not find a first round safety the last ten years with those poor forty times and 6 ft height. Most are over 6' and some run under 4.4. If you put Vaccaro in among this bunch, he would CLEARLY be the worst of them all as a prospect, as a pure athlete. Unless he finds a way to run under 4.5, he's not gonna go as high as folks say he is.

Here is the list, if you want to check, and I suggest you do, focussing on height and speed. It takes a special college safety to go in round one, as you see here, and Vaccaro is NOT special in every way.
    FIVE interceptions in 52 games , 32 starts is not very promising as a ball hawking FS. He is a productive tackler, but that isn't necessarily a great thing in a FS, since it means a lot are way downfield

2003-2013 #1 pick safteties (And many were very LATE round one)
    Mark Barron
    Harison Smith
    Eric Berry
    Earl Thomas
    Malcolm JEnkins
    Kenny Phillips
    Laron Landry
    Michael Griffin
    Reggie Nelson
    Brandon Merriweather
    Michael Huff
    Donte Whitner
    Marlin Jackson
    Sean Taylor
    Troy Palamalu
    Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    I was going to say the same thing. So many forget that the draft is about "potential' as much as anything else & that is what makes Vaccaro a 1st rounder in so many ppl's eyes. He has the "prototypical" size and coverage ability you want in a FS. As Flip stated, he could easily be a corner (minus the 4.6 speed being an issue).
    Barry Waller

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't agree with the notion that Mark Barron (6'1" 213lbs @ '12 Combine) has prototypical size for the free safety position but Vaccaro (6'0" 214lbs @ '13 Combine) doesn't.

Barron didn't run at last year's Combine, but clocked a 4.54 forty at his pro day and was drafted 7th overall. Vaccaro had an unofficial 4.59 at the Combine on one run (source: Rotoworld), so I wouldn't be surprised to see him shave off four or five-hundredths of a second at Texas' pro day this week. If he does, I don't see why a Top 20 selection is so outrageous. Heck, Calvin Watkins of ESPN Dallas suggests that not improving on his forty time might be one reason Vaccaro could slip to Dallas, implying he may not be available otherwise.

It's worth noting that the Pittsburgh Steelers scheduled a formal interview with Vaccaro at the Combine, and the Dallas Cowboys had him in for a private workout last week. So it would seem that at least two NFL teams are giving him some consideration inside the Top 20, as my guess is that they don't expect him to still be available outside the Top 40 when their second round selections approach.

One other note, for all those that love Tavon Austin and consider him one of the best playmakers in this draft, it seems he thinks pretty highly of Vaccaro, calling him one of the best defensive backs he's faced in his career.

I'm not saying Vaccaro is going to be a superstar; I don't know what he'll be at the next level. He very well could underwhelm or completely bust out. But at the same time, I also don't really understand the level of criticism that he's usually the target of on message boards.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I agree that he shouldn't go in the first round but I will be pretty shocked if he makes it out of the first round considering what all the people that talk to teams are saying.

DId some one really say UNOFFICIAL forty? Sorry, they don't count, and at the combine they were off by a LOT on unofficial times.

The way I see it the combine is everyone running on the same surface, same conditions, so I value THAT time the most even over pro days, unless a guy was hurt or sick at the combine.

Vaccaro is a 4.6 forty guy at BEST, at 6ft 213, with no way to get bigger. He's pumped up NOW with that Texas weight program.

Again, NO free safety prospect has been drafted in round one in 10 years with these poor measurables and lack of interception or return ability. At some positions, these are make or break numbers to scouts, and DB is at the top of that list. It's a fast league. EVEN TEs run 4.4 forties.

As far as Barron, he was a STRONG safety, and he had 12 picks in college. He also has STRUGGLED mightily in pass coverage since being drafted. He's also listed at 6-1 1/8, and his arm length is 1-1/8" longer than Vaccaro as well.

Barron didn't have any off field baggage either, and got a 10 on intangibles and work ethic. His teams won 2 national Championships as well with him as a captain. That got him overdrafted.
    Barry Waller

No one though JAmes LAurin aitis would ever get out of round one either, a far better college player than Vaccaro.

It just happens, when guys don't have round one measurables and are perceived as having a low ceiling.
    Barry Waller

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    DId some one really say UNOFFICIAL forty? Sorry, they don't count, and at the combine they were off by a LOT on unofficial times.
    As far as Barron, he was a STRONG safety, and he had 12 picks in college. He also has STRUGGLED mightily in pass coverage since being drafted. He's also listed at 6-1 1/8, and his arm length is 1-1/8" longer than Vaccaro as well.
    I'm a bit amused that unofficial forty times don't count for anything, but I'm supposed to believe listed heights do. Well, if listed heights are worth something, then I'd point out that Texas listed Vaccaro at 6'1", meaning he'd now fit your size requirements for a prototypical safety!

But kidding aside, I really do not think one inch is the difference between prototype size for a free safety and one that isn't even worthy of first round consideration. To me, it's splitting hairs, and the reported interest from both Pittsburgh and Dallas indicate I'm probably not the only one willing to still consider Vaccaro as a first round prospect despite his height. But we'll see on draft day.

The way I see it the combine is everyone running on the same surface, same conditions, so I value THAT time the most even over pro days, unless a guy was hurt or sick at the combine.
    Again, NO free safety prospect has been drafted in round one in 10 years with these poor measurables and lack of interception or return ability. At some positions, these are make or break numbers to scouts, and DB is at the top of that list. It's a fast league. EVEN TEs run 4.4 forties.
    The point in bringing up the unofficial time was simply to illustrate why I think Vaccaro will probably be able to improve his time at his pro day. While I generally agree with you that Combine forty times trump pro day times, the NFL doesn't always see it that way.

Case in point is Joe Haden, who at 5'10" and 193 pounds ran a disappointing 4.52 at the Combine in 2010. According to your logic, as a DB, this number should have broke him in the eyes of scouts. And yet he improved upon it at his pro day, and was drafted seventh overall that year.

Vaccaro's time wasn't great, but I don't think it's as negative as you believe it is, and will be even less of a factor if he improves upon it at his pro day. But he's still considered by most to be the top safety in this class despite that time and his height.

No one though JAmes LAurin aitis would ever get out of round one either
    Considering I projected Laurinaitis to the Rams in the second round in my final mock draft of 2009, I'm going to disagree with you on that statement:

Nick's Final 2009 NFL Two-Round Mock Draft

Last edited by Nick; -03-23-2013 at 03:30 PM.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Again, NO free safety prospect has been drafted in round one in 10 years with these poor measurables and lack of interception or return ability.
    Which begs the question.....why then are all indications that Vacarro doesn't make it out of the 1st round?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Which begs the question.....why then are all indications that Vacarro doesn't make it out of the 1st round?
    I think its half that he's a good talent and half that so many teams out there need safeties

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast