ramfancanada is offline Registered User

The Vaughn Martin Project

I'm a long time rams fan and I live in Toronto, and this kid is getting a lot of attention out of nowhere. There was a feature on TSN (the canadian espn partner) At a recent workout for the Patriots, Martin was 335 ran a 4.94 and benched 34 reps. I saw him play in the national Championship game and the other team did not try to run at him. They would double him and run in the other direction. On pass plays, they would double him and leave the RB in to chip. He is unstoppable. The ONLY reason we can steal him in the mid rounds is because he is CANADIAN. You put this kid next to Raji and he would make him look like the overweight 330+ that Raji is. The TV report mentioned EVERY team that came up to see Martin is flying him in on a visit. The last quote was from player personnel, 'it's not that that there is no one built like him in the draft, there is no one built like him in the NFL.' I am looking for a video link so you can all see this 3 minute interview.

I will take it upon myself to dig up what i can on this kid, as my national duty to ram nation!

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Re: The Vaughn Martin Project

You forget he had a wonderlic score of 38. I think he is a really good athlete but he is going to take a while to learn the position at the NFL level. 2 weeks ago I thought we could pick him up undrafted, but now it looks like hes going anywhere in day 2. He is so raw that there is a large risk involved, but he is a physical freak and could be a really dominant force.

ramfancanada is offline Registered User

i think anywhere on day 2 is right. I wouldn't mind using our 5th on him. i don't think he'll last to 6 or 7 anymore. Usually, the upside is what is so intriguing. Who else would we get in the 5th? A guy who we know will be a backup or Practice roster guy. How about someone who has 1st round measurables and talent. A 5th round pick is not a huge risk and if it works out he can eat up 2 blockers for Spagnuolo's blitz packages. A say low risk, high reward. He's 335 and runs a sub 5 40 yards...all this with Canada's coaching and strength training! He's a freak....we need him.

My googling has learned he has 10 1/2 hands and 33 3/4 arms, broad jump was 9'1.

*Vaughn Martin*|*Western Ontario,*DT*:*2009 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    You forget he had a wonderlic score of 38. I think he is a really good athlete but he is going to take a while to learn the position at the NFL level. 2 weeks ago I thought we could pick him up undrafted, but now it looks like hes going anywhere in day 2. He is so raw that there is a large risk involved, but he is a physical freak and could be a really dominant force.
    Wonderlick smonderlick. If he can play ball, i don't care what he scores on some pyscho/pseudo/3+1=5 test. Sure he'll be raw, but if any one can coach him up and groom him it's our new coach, Mr. Spags. Eh, I'm all aboard the Canada Train!

itsguud is offline Registered User

Bring on the Canuck Defense I say. I'm sure OJ would agree!