throwback week

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Vaughn Martin Sleeper?

I saw the following posted over at StLToday by zenonator this guy sounds like he is drawing a lot of interest as a sleeper pick and has good size for a DT.

FOOTBALL: Nearly a dozen teams have expressed an interest is defensive lineman Vaughn Martin NFL awake to Western's 'sleeper'Morris Dalla Costa
    London Free Press
    April 3, 2009

In baseball's olden days, it would have been called a good, old-fashioned barnstorming tour.

Several NFL teams have shown an interest in Vaughn Martin, who can return to university football if no one bites. (MIKE HENSEN/Sun Media)

Today, it's Vaughn Martin's travel itinerary and it might wind up delivering a National Football League contract.

Monday in Carolina, Tuesday in San Diego and during the next few weeks there will be stops in Miami, St. Louis, Cleveland, Indianapolis and likely more meetings in additional cities.

The 22-year-old Western Mustangs defensive lineman has spent a great deal of the winter working out and being worked out leading up to the April 25 NFL draft.

Judging by the interest, it at least could lead to a free-agent contract or it may get the six-foot-four 327-pounder selected in one of the draft's seven rounds.

"I'm not even thinking about what's going to happen," Martin said. "I'm just going to do the best I can and see what the results are. This doesn't really surprise me. I expected to do well. I let everyone else worry about everything else."

Martin is an underclassman, declaring for the draft before his graduating year. If he doesn't sign a contract and doesn't make a team, he can return to university football. An American underclassman who declares loses that eligibility.

Martin is in his second year of university football. Some NFL discussion sites call Martin a "sleeper" or "intriguing." Interest in Martin has expanded from a few teams to about 10.

The NFL rules governing testing and tryouts are stringent. Martin has worked out for the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns among others. The Indianapolis Colts are coming to London tomorrow for further testing.

During the next few weeks, Martin will be flown -- at NFL teams' expense -- to meet the coaching and management staff and be interviewed. Each team has a limited number of players they are allowed to bring in to visit.

"When we started, there were a couple of teams interested, but since we posted Vaughn's testing numbers on the NFL database for the teams, a lot of people are taking an interest," said Matt Baxter, who represents Martin with Enter-Sports Management of Atlanta. "As late as (Tuesday) we heard from Philadelphia and Minnesota and they wanted his game films."

NFL teams that show this much interest in a Canadian player usually sign him to a free-agent contract rather than use a draft pick. However, when so many show interest, a team may take the player late in the draft to avoid a bidding war.

Some teams were hoping Martin would fly under the radar. His testing scores, size and the fact it isn't a particularly rich crop of defensive lineman coming out of university this year, made hiding Martin more difficult.

"He tested well," said Jeff Watson, the Mustangs training and strength coach. "He has the physical gifts. His skill and technique probably need work because he's so young.

"He's strong. He's learning he has to go hard all the time. His learning curve is sharp when it comes to that."

Morris Dalla Costa is a Free Press sports columnist.

This from Toronto Globe and Mail:

FOOTBALL: NFL GLOBE & MAIL TORONTO ARTICLE

Martin turning heads
    Defensive lineman entering NFL draft after just two seasons of Canadian university ball
    DAVID NAYLOR

April 2, 2009

Though he is yet to play professionally and has just two years of university football under his belt, Vaughn Martin already owns a unique distinction in Canadian sports.

He is the country's first university underclassman to declare himself eligible for the NFL draft.

That alone adds intrigue the story of Vaughn, a 22-year-old, 330-pound defensive lineman who has NFL scouts bombarding the University of Western Ontario with requests for background information and game film, and whose name is popping up all over the Internet on NFL draft discussion boards.

Scouts from roughly 20 NFL teams have already come to see Martin at workouts held in Windsor and London, Ont. His schedule beginning next week includes visits to the Carolina Panthers, San Diego Chargers, and St. Louis Rams, followed-up by trips to see the Miami Dolphins and Cleveland Browns, with many more possible before the NFL draft on April 25-26.

Google his name he looks like a BEAST !!

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Re: Vaughn Martin Sleeper?

Vaughn Martin declares for 2009 NFL draft
    Out of 32 NFL teams, 24 have expressed interest in Martin
    Kevin Melhuish
    Friday, February 27, 2009

If you’ve followed Western Mustangs football for the past two seasons, you’re probably familiar with Vaughn Martin.

What you may not know is that the six-foot-three, 328-pound defensive lineman declared his eligibility for the 2009 National Football League draft last week.

If Martin is drafted or signed as a free agent, he’ll be the 24th Canadian Interuniversity Sport player, and fifth Mustang, to make an NFL roster.

Martin may have played his final down in Purple and Silver, as 24 of the 32 NFL teams have already expressed interest in him.

“The teams that have looked at him like what they’ve seen,” Western head coach Greg Marshall said. “They like Vaughn. They think he’s athletic, they think he’s a good kid and someone that they can coach.”

Martin has already taken the Wonderlic — an aptitude test taken by all prospective draftees — and scored a 38, placing him in the 99th percentile.

As well, Martin tallied 31 reps of the 225-pound bench press, which would place him in a tie for seventh amongst the 53 defensive linemen that were invited to the NFL combine.

Even though Martin was not invited to the combine, his agent, former Mustangs receiver Matt Baxter of Enter-Sports Management, has scheduled two pro days in March for scouts to evaluate his abilities.

“He needed for a few more teams to ask for him to be there,” Baxter said. “It just gives him a couple more weeks to work on his speed and strength.”

Even though Martin has only been playing football since the 10th grade, his athleticism and ability to learn quickly make him attractive to NFL teams.

“There’s a lot of big guys [in the draft], but none as athletic as Vaughn,” Marshall said. “Vaughn’s a big man who moves with a lot of quickness, a lot of agility and a lot of power.”

Yet amidst the excitement of playing professional football, Martin admitted his decision to declare was difficult.

“It’s bittersweet because I really do love it here,” Martin said. “I really love this program. I love the school.”

But after consulting the NFL advisory committee, he was given the thumbs up to pursue the draft.

“They basically look at everything — your film, they call teams, etc. — and they look to see how much interest is out there,” Martin said. “They looked and reviewed my stuff and said, ‘Yeah, you should probably come up this year.’”

Playing in the CIS added an additional incentive, as players retain their eligibility to play university football after declaring for the draft whereas NCAA players do not.

Whether or not Martin will utilize his remaining three years of eligibility is unknown, but teams are definitely interested.

“At the very least, if he goes undrafted, a few teams have already said they would bring him into training camp,” Baxter said.

It is not uncommon for undrafted players to make an impact on their respective teams.

Kurt Warner, Antonio Gates and Adam Vinatieri all went undrafted.

So did Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison, who helped his team win a Super Bowl and was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year last season.

While it may be too early to speculate, cracking an NFL roster seems like a realistic goal for Martin.

“We’ll make plans that he’s not going to be here,” Marshall said. “If he’s back, then great for us, but we really want to wish him well.”

Despite the possibility of losing one of his best players, Marshall is still confident in his team.

“It’s a win-win situation for us because if Vaughn makes the team in the NFL, it’s good for us,” he said. “Part of my job isn’t just to win championships and [the] Yates Cup; it’s to provide players with opportunities like this.”

Baxter remains optimistic about his client, regardless if Martin’s name is announced in late April.

“It only takes one of the 32 teams to take a chance on him,” Baxter said. “Whoever gets Vaughn will get one of the best steals of this year’s draft.”

codeman123 is offline Registered User

I wanted to mention him as a pick up as an undrafted free agent but it looks like he can go somewhere in the second day now. He is a beast, and has every physical tool needed, including his brain. The only thing is he hasnt played for that long, and needs alot of coaching. He said he was a blank canvas coaches can mold into whatever they want. Maybe we can get him in the 7th round or bid on him if he goes undrafted, but takign a flyer on a guy that late in the draft is a risk anyone should be willing to take.
    Another Canadian that I wanted to take in the later rounds is running back Jamall Lee. He is 6`1 and 235 pounds, and ran a 4.39. He destroyed CIS competition and declared for the draft. Once he reaches the 5th gear hes gone. Its hard to tell whether he has the ability to cut back and change directions but hes always playing in the rain so it might just be the field conditions. He is a big, strong runner and he would of had the fastest rb time at the combine. He is also a huge steal.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

You Have me sold on Him! The D-line needs all the help it can get. 6th or 7th round.