Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vernon Gholston

3STL9 is offline Registered User

Vernon Gholston

I am not going to lie, I was one of those who wanted Gholston over Long..thank god we didnt go that way.

However I was reading up on something the Jets might let him go..If s should we seek after him, I feel like he still has a lot of potential....Could be a nice addition to our OLB group

LB Vernon Gholston’s future with the team is uncertain even though the team still owes him nearly $11 million in guaranteed money. Gholston has no sacks in 29 career games. Some in the organization are ready to move on, especially if 2010 is an uncapped year and the club can absorb the salary cap hit.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Vernon Gholston

It depends...

If Gholston could be had for a minimal price then, sure, why not take a chance on him?

If he still looks at himself as a top prospect and wants to be paid as one, then I'd pass.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 3STL9 View Post
    I am not going to lie, I was one of those who wanted Gholston over Long..thank god we didnt go that way.

However I was reading up on something the Jets might let him go..If s should we seek after him, I feel like he still has a lot of potential....Could be a nice addition to our OLB group
    I'd take a look at him, but as a DE, not OLB. I think that was part of his problem. He had success putting his hand in the ground at OSU, then the Jets stand him up. From what I've read, he's not exactly a scholar. So, keep it simple for him. Let him play DE so he doesn't have to deal with coverages like OLBs (except for those odd zone blitz packages that require the DE to fall back into coverage; and yes, I know Jauron has had success with them elsewhere, but man I hate those packages......but I digress).

Keep it simple........point him towards the QB and let him go.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

3STL9 is offline Registered User

maybe that could work long and ghoston for years to come on either side...esp if gholston pans out

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'd take a look at him, but as a DE, not OLB. I think that was part of his problem. He had success putting his hand in the ground at OSU, then the Jets stand him up. From what I've read, he's not exactly a scholar. So, keep it simple for him. Let him play DE so he doesn't have to deal with coverages like OLBs (except for those odd zone blitz packages that require the DE to fall back into coverage; and yes, I know Jauron has had success with them elsewhere, but man I hate those packages......but I digress).

Keep it simple........point him towards the QB and let him go.
    I completely agree. I'm surprised the Jets didn't try to stick him at DE and see what happened. I wouldn't pay top dollar for him however, but if he's willing to take a reasonable salary then sure.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    I completely agree. I'm surprised the Jets didn't try to stick him at DE and see what happened. I wouldn't pay top dollar for him however, but if he's willing to take a reasonable salary then sure.

Well, with them playing a 3-4, he wouldn't do much good as an end.

I agree about bringing him in as an end in our defense though. I think he has the speed to burn tackles off the edge, and if his coverage responsibilities are limited he may be able to perform better.

richtree is offline Registered User

He is in the enigma .... in the NBA you may say he is a 'tweener.

He may be worth it for a cheap price as a rushing DE if we could get him early and bulk him up.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    He is in the enigma .... in the NBA you may say he is a 'tweener.

He may be worth it for a cheap price as a rushing DE if we could get him early and bulk him up.
    If I remember correctly, at the time of the draft there was speculation that he was maxed-out bulk wise. From the pictures at the time, he looked like a WWE wrestler. 260 I think is what they listed him.

Always looked like a purely passrush DE in a 4-3 to me.

As for acquiring him if he is released, I am sure there would be some competition for him. Seems like the perfect reclamation project for the Patriots, except don't they use a 3-4?

If he's intriguing, the RAMs may want to consider doing a Tye Hill type deal that allows the Jets to get "anything" in return. What'd the Rams get for Hill, a 7th, and they ate the portion of his contract that they would have to eat anyhow had they released him. If the Jets have to eat the remainder of his quaranteed money, 11M, perhaps his remaining salary is palatable enough for taking a flyer on him without losing him to someone else.

The Rams can certainly use a young pass rusher and a DE.

Long, Suh, Ryan, Gholston?
    Last edited by Richbert88; -01-26-2010 at 01:05 PM.
    Semper Fi!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i cant see how getting him for cheap could hurt. Try him out as a pure pass rushing DE, see how he gets on.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It seems that the D lineman we have given up on have been playing pretty well. DLew, Pickett, Kennedy. Maybe it's our turn to get someone's hand me downs and make it fit.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Makes you wonder what the asking price would be. He's severely underperformed as a 3-4 OLB, but if you're the Jets, you have to get something decent having just drafted the guy not too long ago.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I dont see how the Jets can ask for too much seeing as the guy has gotten less than 50 tackles in two years with no sacks and interceptions...

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I can't see them asking for alot either. But there are 31 other teams and this is the RAMs. The only way to guarantee a RAM flyer on this guy is to trade for him. Perhaps a 7th and Linehans notes on successfull coaching.
    Semper Fi!

ImOnFire15 is offline Registered User

I want him!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    I can't see them asking for alot either. But there are 31 other teams and this is the RAMs. The only way to guarantee a RAM flyer on this guy is to trade for him. Perhaps a 7th and Linehans notes on successfull coaching.
    That would be offering the JETS way to much. Maybe Linehans notes on successfull coaching and an 8th round pick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast