Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vernon Gholston

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Vernon Gholston

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    It seems that the D lineman we have given up on have been playing pretty well. DLew, Pickett, Kennedy. Maybe it's our turn to get someone's hand me downs and make it fit.
    If there is any justice in the world, it should be our turn. All those guys you mentioned tx (I'd add Hargrove to the list) seem to have benefitted from a change of scenery and the chance at a new start.

Gholston has done absolutely nothing so far in his career. I'm not sure what the Jets could expect to get for him, but as Richbert mentioned, there will probably be several teams competing for a chance to bring him back from the dead and see if he can realize some of that "beastly" potential he had before the draft. No doubt someone will overpay for that chance, which is something the Rams need to stay away from.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I thought Vernon Gholston was a god?
    Heck yeah pick him up

YouTube - Vernon Gholston Godlike

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Yeah I agree w/ what HUb said. Keep it simple for him. Don't overpay, and if the Rams pick him up let him work solely on rushing the passer out of the stance. Thats all he does, then put him in as a situational pass rusher. Worst case scenario, Spags can't help him and he's a back up/ST/gets cut.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I don't even know if I'd trade a stick of bubble gum for this guy. 30 career tackles for a linebacker? "Underachiever" is an understatement.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'd take a look at him, but as a DE, not OLB. I think that was part of his problem. He had success putting his hand in the ground at OSU, then the Jets stand him up. From what I've read, he's not exactly a scholar. So, keep it simple for him. Let him play DE so he doesn't have to deal with coverages like OLBs (except for those odd zone blitz packages that require the DE to fall back into coverage; and yes, I know Jauron has had success with them elsewhere, but man I hate those packages......but I digress).

Keep it simple........point him towards the QB and let him go.
    Similar situation with Leonard Little his first couple of seasons with the Rams. They drafted him as a LB but that just didn't work out. Same comments were made at that time about him not being the most intelligent of individuals, so he was moved to DE and the rest is history.
    So I think it would be a great idea to give Gholston a shot if the asking price is reasonable.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Looks like he's sticking around...

-------------------------------------

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum insists that OLB Vernon Gholston will definitely be back in 2010.
    Tannenbaum praised the former No. 6 overall pick's "great work ethic," adding that this will be an important offseason. While Tannenbaum has drafted well the past few years, Gholston remains a glaring swing-and-miss.
    Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

I would love to bring him in and try him as a pure 4-3 DE. You would have to think he would benefit from the presence of a guy like Suh in the middle and the leadership of Laurinaitis, a guy who he played with for 2-3 years at OSU. Like a couple guys mentioned before, we've seen our share of DL prospects underachieve then go on to have productive careers elsewhere. Karmas gotta come around no?

peramoure is offline Registered User

The guy is one of the biggest busts in the past 10 years.

Mangini said after he left the guy just doesn't get it.

If REX RYAN can't get this guy to get ANY pressure, I don't think anyone can. This guy is done, period, and there is no reason to give this guy anything if he can't produce in the best defensive system ever.

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

I thinked about bringing him a few days ago but I read some report about him that he has no instinct, not good for a NFL player. He is a workout warrior but not a football player. Therefore if we can have him for cheap it could be interesting, he has potential, he can offer great speed off the edge but don't have a lot of technique. With good support if he have to only rush the passer that could be good for the Rams.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

peramoure is offline Registered User

not to mention he's being paid a ton (6th overall)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12