throwback week



Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 57 of 57
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Vernon Gholston Godlike

  1. #46
    Tony Soprano Guest

    Re: Vernon Gholston Godlike

    .
    Speed is always at a premium from that position - so he won't last long.

    He has to improve against the run - we've had those issues from that side DE in
    recent years.

    I was skeptical initially, but the guy looks very explosive. Long has received double
    teams for 2 years - I doubt Gholston has seen that kind of doubling for that period.

    It is looking like Long may not be an option though with Miami being very interested.


  2. #47
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,709
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Vernon Gholston Godlike

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Here is the question. Gholston is on a team (Ohio) with all the help in the world like being on the Colts offense. Long is the player thats on the team that lacks talent yet he gets it done. If Gholston is on a weak defensive team will you make the same excuse for him, he has no help, when in fact he should be a differnce maker!

    I will call it like I see it, like I always do.

    And when you learn the difference between making excuses and attempting to state possible causes for, you may ask me another question.

  3. #48
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,709
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Vernon Gholston Godlike

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    That is fair, but when you see a guy like Vernon or Gholston the last thing you think is they will get hurt.
    But does that change the fact that he did?

  4. #49
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,709
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Vernon Gholston Godlike

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    A) sigh

    B) Sugarcoat? What exactly am I "sugarcoating"? One player DID get held out of the opposing backfield for nearly half his college career. One did NOT. Where is the "sugarcoating"?

    C) What is there to absorb? You stated the possible reason for Gholston getting shut out (the avalanche of blockers theory), and I disputed it. That's what a discussion is. Should I have simply nodded my head and up-and-down and accepted Gholston's deity (as the title of this thread implies)? Would that be properly absorbing?

    C1) Yes, let's line them up and race them. Per their combine/pro day numbers, Long would be faster over the first 10 yards, and Gholston at the end of 40 yards. So as I've already stated, assuming Haslett isn't looking for a DE to line up 40 yards off scrimmage, I don't see how Gholston is the "faster" player.

    C2a) One rep maximums are not part of the Combine, so I can only assume the accuracy of the bench and squat numbers listed.

    C2b) There's only a 6 pound difference (272 vs. 266), so....no, it's not that impressive assuming the accuracy of the numbers.

    C2c) Does one rep maxes have any direct correlation to a player's on-field ability? And if so, why don't they measure that at the Combine?


    Again, my friend, if Gholston is the choice @ 2, so be it. I'm not saying he would be a bad choice. However, it still puckers.....oh wait, no, you don't like that expression.......um, how 'bout curl my toenails; yea, that's it.....the pick of Gholston curls my toenails (obligatory disclaimer: The idea of drafting Vernon Gholston does not in fact curl the author's toenails. It's just an expression)

    What bothers me though, is when decisions are based on nothing more than snippets (highlight films) and stereotypes (VG's superior athleticism). Maybe VG is the top choice for the Rams, but right now there are still valid questions about his game effort that must be factored into the equation.

    And my offer still stands. If we pass on Gholston for Long, and Gholston has the better rookie campaign in another 4-3 schemed team, I'll come on here and start a thread about how wrong I was, and we should have taken Gholston all along.

    We learn more from being wrong, than we do being right.

    A)?

    B) Reread your posts and my responses.

    C) See "B"

    C1) We'll agree to disagree

    C2a) Check Rivals.com (yahoo sports)

    C2b) see C2a

    C2c) yes. It measures how strong a guy is. And I'll direct your second question to the people in charge of the combine, as I am not qualified to answer such a question.

    I have said all I need to say on this subject, particularly as it relates to your butthole and toenails. Your choice is Long, mine is Gholston, though there is a strong possibility neither will end up in St. Louis.

    Obviously there's far more to Mr. Gholston than a highlight reel. If you get a chance, check out some of the articles written about him especially the one where he's asked who is his favorite player and team.

    I'm not concerned about your offer, all that matters to me is we fix our pass rush. If that's Long, fine, but I still think Gholston will be a more dominant player.

    And finally, if that last statement is true, you'll likely be a genius by seasons end. Are you kidding, that was waaaay too tempting.

  5. #50
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,574
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Vernon Gholston Godlike

    And when you learn the difference between making excuses and attempting to state possible causes for, you may ask me another question.
    Fortuninerhater. I will study, relax. You should take note Gholston has a lot of help, he is going to be playing on a not so good team being drafted so high. I'm attempting to point out some possible issues he may have.

    But does that change the fact that he did?
    No but you missed my point, when you look at Marc, you think he will get hurt so I will not draft him. When you look at Vernon you think he will do the hurting and not miss much time.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-01-2008 at 10:01 AM.

  6. #51
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: Vernon Gholston Godlike

    This is like arguing who is better....Angelina Jolie or Jennifer Anniston. I'll take either/or.

  7. #52
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,574
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: Vernon Gholston Godlike

    Angelina Jolie lol

  8. #53
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,706
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Vernon Gholston Godlike

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    A)?

    B) Reread your posts and my responses.

    C) See "B"

    C1) We'll agree to disagree

    C2a) Check Rivals.com (yahoo sports)

    C2b) see C2a

    C2c) yes. It measures how strong a guy is. And I'll direct your second question to the people in charge of the combine, as I am not qualified to answer such a question.

    I have said all I need to say on this subject, particularly as it relates to your butthole and toenails. Your choice is Long, mine is Gholston, though there is a strong possibility neither will end up in St. Louis.

    Obviously there's far more to Mr. Gholston than a highlight reel. If you get a chance, check out some of the articles written about him especially the one where he's asked who is his favorite player and team.

    I'm not concerned about your offer, all that matters to me is we fix our pass rush. If that's Long, fine, but I still think Gholston will be a more dominant player.

    And finally, if that last statement is true, you'll likely be a genius by seasons end. Are you kidding, that was waaaay too tempting.
    C1) It's not an issue of agreeing to disagree. It's an issue of fact. Long's 10-yard split is faster than Gholston. Long would win in 10 yards. Gholston's 40 yard time is faster than Long. Gholston would win in 40 yards. It's not an opinion to ponder and debate. It's simply a fact. Disagreeing with it is not a perspective; it's an error.

    C2a&b)I don't see anything on rivals.com that goes towards your point, so I'm not sure why you plugged the site. However, if it's a question of their weight, that's easily attainable at nfl.com's coverage of the Combine. VG, 266. CL, 272.

    C2c) Then why isn't Mike Kudla an All-Pro DE?
    Obviously there's far more to Mr. Gholston than a highlight reel. If you get a chance, check out some of the articles written about him especially the one where he's asked who is his favorite player and team.
    Obviously? Really? What makes you say that? And yes, I read all those articles. The same articles that said he liked playing Madden with Rams and Marshall Faulk. So what? When did he say he was a Rams fan? He just grew up with an old copy of Madden that had the GSOT Rams. So? And what if he is a fan? How does that have any relevancy?
    And finally, if that last statement is true, you'll likely be a genius by seasons end. Are you kidding, that was waaaay too tempting.
    Oh a personal attack....how sad. You know, a simple "HUbison, you're right" would have been a more honorable retreat. However, I'm in a good mood, so I'll accept your concession post.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  9. #54
    C-Mob 71's Avatar
    C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    S. Illinois
    Posts
    1,506
    Rep Power
    45

    Re: Vernon Gholston Godlike

    Bump- because this was highly entertaining in hindsight and was easily available at the end of our current "Vernon Gholston is a Ram thread!".

    On an unrelated note, HUbison, can I have tomorrows lotto numbers?
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

  10. #55
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,706
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: Vernon Gholston Godlike

    Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Bump- because this was highly entertaining in hindsight and was easily available at the end of our current "Vernon Gholston is a Ram thread!".

    On an unrelated note, HUbison, can I have tomorrows lotto numbers?
    I'd forgotten all about this thread. That was a fun one to relive.

    Gholston over Long........geez, that's funny.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  11. #56
    AtlantaRamFan's Avatar
    AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    25
    Posts
    892
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: Vernon Gholston Godlike

    Hey good deal, turns out we got both

    With all the bad draft picks the last group made, thank god this wasn't one of them. As bad as the Rams have been, having Laurinaitis and Long helps a lot. Can you imagine if it was Gholston and Maualuga instead? Things could be way worse.
    Last edited by AtlantaRamFan; -08-23-2012 at 04:08 PM.

  12. #57
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,065
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Vernon Gholston Godlike

    Nice bump C-Mob! This thread could bring back embarrassing memories for some, but I have a clear conscience.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Threads

  1. Jim Thomas Chat --March 25
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -03-25-2008, 06:58 PM
  2. Gordo Live
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -03-17-2008, 07:59 PM
  3. Wagoner's Mailbag: Feb 23
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-24-2008, 02:25 AM
  4. Vernon Davis for Bruce?
    By sbramfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: -03-06-2006, 11:41 PM
  5. Tight end, the red zone and vernon davis
    By general counsel in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: -02-21-2006, 09:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •