Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Vick to Rams Backlash

Quote Originally Posted by bigtiger737 View Post
    I have not seen the dog fights, but they happen in my area.. What I am describing my experiences, are simply someone who lives in the community where it happens. That's how effective it is. If I was at a dog fight I would get hurt or someone else would. That high school friend of mine and I will never talk again after me and sully drove up on them shooting those animals. And I am ok with that, if I see him again there would be nothing but hostility towards him. As For vick, no he hasn't done enough. The ability to carry out the actions they did, shows a detachment pychiatriclly that can't be fixed in 1 year, and not by prison. Prison really needs to be restrucured if it is ever going to help anyone. But more importantly I don't think Vick has earned forgivness because I don't belive his sincerity. I don't belive he even grasps why what he was doing was bad. And that is the largest and most disturbing issue surrounding this. He has said sorry for all kinds of things like for his, fans, and his family, and the nfl, but nothing about his actions. He never said he was sorry he did it, because he was wrong.. Every apology has been consequently motivated.. so no I don't think 1year is enough, and the money and the fame wasn't enough because he still hasn't learned his lesson..
    Good points. Dog fighting is not legal here in the US and Vick knew it and he did it anyway. He probably is only sorry since he got in trouble. I guess we will have to wait and see what he does with his life and with his words and actions to see if he feels that what he did was wrong. I am sure we will hear from him soon enough.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

If people can't debate this without resorting to poorly worded personal attacks, then the thread should be closed forthwith. How people were or weren't brought up has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

I haven't seen anyone here arguing to any extent that dog-fighting is anything other than cruel and unusual punishment. What we have seen is people phrase a belief that Vick is entitled to try and turn his life around because that's what Western Democracies have traditionally wanted from their penal systems in modern times.

Vick shouldn't be treated any differently than any other ex-convict when faced with the challenge of trying to re-start their lives and become a better person.

There have been several attempts to establish some kind of moral equivalency at times in this thread and as AV, amongst others, has pointed out you can't. There is a surfeit of emotion attached to animals and this tends to colour the debate as it has done here.

The bottom line, if we're searching for one, is that Vick will be given the opportunity to pursue his career once more if the league at large feels he has served his time and demonstrated suitable contrition. He won't be doing that here would be my guess and whether he is able to elsewhere, given the depth of feeling demonstrated here, is dependent on how he deals with his life from now on.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    If people can't debate this without resorting to poorly worded personal attacks, then the thread should be closed forthwith.
    You're absolutely right Pang, the personal attacks are uncalled for.

This thread has run it's course and needs to be closed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234