Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    swatter555 is offline Registered User

Re: Vick would bring buzz to Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    The question is do we really HAVE to compete immediately? this could reek of a decision we will regret for years to come. The cowboys passed on Randy Moss because they needed help elsewhere even though Moss was the clear-cut best talent on the board easily. Let's not make the same mistake. There will be other good first round quarterbacks in the draft. How many more Suh's will you see? Patience is key here. And just because we don't grab a first round ROOKIEE quarterback doesn't mean we wont compete.

Our QB of the future is out there, but not this year..just wait it out guys

lets let impatience murk up our overall acquisition of talent
    I respect your cool analysis, but the answer is YES WE MUST COMPETE NOW! Our record the past 3 years is what... 6-42?? The time for excuses is over, it is time to field an NFL team or die trying.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

My question is this: Do we want to become another Detroit (a team that is in perpetual rebuilding mode)? We are on that road.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Addressing the moral question briefly, for me its a non-issue. Vick was convicted by, served time in and was seen fit to be released by a system that holds that imprisonment is intended to be instrument of reform, not merely punishment. (Doesn't always work that way of course)

In that sense, I'm happy to see that he's served him time and would appear to be a better man for it. I do not see the point in Vick's case, or any other, in denying him the opportunity to set his life in order and demonstrate that no-one is beyond redemption. (Redemption in the secular sense )

And in saying all of that, I myself am the proud owner of a half-blind Lab-Chow cross that I got from a rescue kennel, so I'm not ignorant of what he did.

In terms of him being the answer to our QB problem, I'm far from convinced that he would be but see no problem with offering him a short-term deal in order to provide him with the opportunity to show that he might be.

There's a few names that regularly crop-up in our discussion of the QB position and not one of them excites me, including Vick. In terms of our approach over the off-season, both to the draft and FA, I'm inclined to go for the best palyer available to us rather than a signal-caller, which means I'd be in the Suh/McCoy camp with what to do with the #1.

For a rookie signal-caller to be effective from the get-go we need to be able to supply him with a far better supporting cast than Bulger has enjoyed for the last 4 years. Build up the background talent, continue to create the right environment and then put a new signal-caller into a position where he can learn from his mistakes rather than be destroyed by them.

Its possible that Vick could be part of an answer which sees us lean on the running game and competitive defence to see us clear of the bottom of the NFL before we draft our QB of the future. Its rather more likely that he isn't but I'd give him the same shot I'd give Null and whoever else arrives here before next season.

Whether he supplies a 'buzz' or not is as relevant to me as his jail-time.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Again...the Rams solution is VICK.
    Vick is better then Bulger....
    The Rams need VICk because....
    Vick is....

Sure why not sign Vick, he was a ROARING success in Philly
    His ability to throw the ball with pin-point accuracy is mythical
    His pure athletic talants compensate for his short comings
    Vick's presnts will rally the community around the Rams
    ....Ok I am making myself physically ill if I continue this rant.

Lets just let the Vick thing go...he is not the solution to the Rams problems. Simply he does not fit where the Rams are going aminly there are too many other needs to address--the O-line being previously mentioned. It is better if there is no Bulger in the Rams future to go out and get a younger QB and develop him--perferrably one with QB skills as a passer-more mobile in the pocket--and a leader. There jsut isn't much of a future with VICK.

Considering the Dolphins are more committed to the WILD CAT then the Rams, let them waste time and treasure on this dud.

ethanramsyo is offline Registered User

We should take a QB out of the draft (Tim Tebow or Sam Bradford) rather then get sideshow-vick lol.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    I respect your cool analysis, but the answer is YES WE MUST COMPETE NOW! Our record the past 3 years is what... 6-42?? The time for excuses is over, it is time to field an NFL team or die trying.
    We only STARTED rebuilding last offseason. 2007 and 2008 (2008 especially) were failed attempts to STAVE OFF rebuilding. We did superficial alterations prior to both seasons rather than complete overhauls, and the result is this. We should have started the project in 2008, and then could have contemplated being "competitive" this season, but Georgia's dying wish had to be that Linehan and Shawmunt get another year, as injuries were clearly why we went 3-13 *eye roll*, and Chip had to be a worthless mother's boy and assent to her wish.

Moreover, as we put off the rebuild for so long, it hit the stage that we need to sacrifice at least 2 seasons to get this team on the right course. 2009 was the first.

Also, to address your other concern, we are not Detroit yet. However, trying to be competitive before you are able by pursuing veterans of questionable ability sure puts you on that course.

-------------------------------------

If it makes you feel any better, we sacrificed the 1997 and 1998 seasons to build a winner for 1999.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

The part of this debate that makes me giggle....

Vick-as-a-Ram opponent: I don't want Vick here because A) he's not a good WCO passer, B) he's not accurate, C) he relies on athleticism instead of progressive reads, D) at 30, his athleticism is on the downward trend, E) two years removed from football will not help with staving off a biological decline, F) his only action since 2006 has been as a gimmick.

Vick-as-a-Ram advocate: Why do all the haters keep bringing up his criminal activity? Doesn't he deserve a 2nd chance?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rob6465 is offline Registered User

So does weed, does not make it good.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

If the Rams' goal is to "bring buzz" to the team, there are several other options at QB:

Marc McGuire
    Can you imagine that buzz? Here's a guy who'd really put people in the seats. And don't bring up his steroid use... everyone deserves a second chance.

Lebron James
    He is, after all, a free agent next Summer. Can you imagine the coverage he'd get... not mention the ability to throw fade passes to himself.

The Runner-up in American Idol
    How could you have more buzz than that? I can see Simon's critique now... "That was one of the finest renditions of Brown Eyed Girl I've ever heard, but you need to work on your check downs to the third option when facing a nickel package."

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If the Rams' goal is to "bring buzz" to the team, there are several other options at QB:

Marc McGuire
    Can you imagine that buzz? Here's a guy who'd really put people in the seats. And don't bring up his steroid use... everyone deserves a second chance.

Lebron James
    He is, after all, a free agent next Summer. Can you imagine the coverage he'd get... not mention the ability to throw fade passes to himself.

The Runner-up in American Idol
    How could you have more buzz than that? I can see Simon's critique now... "That was one of the finest renditions of Brown Eyed Girl I've ever heard, but you need to work on your check downs to the third option when facing a nickel package."
    Should you not preface that with "tongue firmly planted within cheek" lest someone take you seriously and we go off on another tangent?

I'm not saying, I'm just saying, you know what I'm saying?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123