Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: Vikings not sold on Kalil? (How that would impact the Rams)

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Vikings not sold on Kalil? (How that would impact the Rams)

Len Pasquerelli has a piece that indicates that Kalil to the Vikings is not a foregone conclusion. Apparently, there are some w/in the Vikings Front Office who are very high on Morris Claiborne.

Playing, the "what if" game, how would that impact the Rams?

Cleveland would likely still be chosing between Blackmon and Richardson at the No. 4 spot, as they already have an elite LT in Joe Thomas.

If they take Richardson, it is unlikely that the Bucs would almost certainly take Kalil, who would be an upgrade over Donald Penn, rather than Blackmon, given the fact that the Bucs already have solid WR corps that includes Mike Williams and newly signed Vincent Jackson. In that case, the Rams would almost certainly take Blackmon.

If, on the other hand, Cleveland were to select Blackmon, the Bucs could potentially select Richardson, which would leave Kalil available to the Rams.

Just a thought.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Vikings not sold on Kalil? (How that would impact the Rams)

Could be smoke, could be fire.

I wouldn't doubt that there are people in the building interested in Claiborne. They could certainly use the cornerback help. But without a long-term solution at LT to protect Ponder, it's hard for me to see a team take a corner over a blind-side tackle if the grades are even close. Positional importance could win out.

You also have to wonder if this was leaked to try and get some more interested in a possible trade down. The Vikings have said previously that they're open to trading, but I think most everyone just assumes they'll stay put and take Kalil. However, if they start some talk that they may not be 100% sold on Kalil, that could make a team think twice about whether or not they're a possible trade partner.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Like Nick said could be smoke or could be fire.

It doesn't surprise me though. I think 3, 4, 5 have no particular order anymore. I think depending on your need Claiborne, Kalil, Blackmon are just as good picks at any one of those picks.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I said this in another post but maybe the Vikes are letting it be known they may want to talk trade.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

DE_Ramfan is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I said this in another post but maybe the Vikes are letting it be known they may want to talk trade.
    That doesn't surprise me at all. I think bad teams know that they're more than one player away from being in contention unless that one player is a QB. Vikes have their guy so they want to add as many pieces to the puzzle as they can. I expect the Brownies will be looking to move down as well.

Quite a circle we could see developing. Bad teams trade down with good teams who think that one elite prospect could put them over the top. Could turn into a yearly thing.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    That doesn't surprise me at all. I think bad teams know that they're more than one player away from being in contention unless that one player is a QB. Vikes have their guy so they want to add as many pieces to the puzzle as they can. I expect the Brownies will be looking to move down as well.

Quite a circle we could see developing. Bad teams trade down with good teams who think that one elite prospect could put them over the top. Could turn into a yearly thing.
    You know what, you could be completely right. And with the rookie wage scale we might be witnessing the first of those years.

Will be interesting to watch, this phenomenon, if it takes off.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Chris Cook is coming back. Had be been facing jail time (chance he may face a suspension) then I think there might have been a slight chance Vikes take a CB. Now I think its as close to an automatic as you can get this far out from the draft that they'll take Kalil.

ShaneFalco Guest

3rd pick of the draft will be tannehill! seattle!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Kalil, Richardson, Claiborne or Blackmon any and all work for me. I would prefer Blackmon though.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You also have to wonder if this was leaked to try and get some more interested in a possible trade down. The Vikings have said previously that they're open to trading, but I think most everyone just assumes they'll stay put and take Kalil. However, if they start some talk that they may not be 100% sold on Kalil, that could make a team think twice about whether or not they're a possible trade partner.
    I am sure the Vikes are willing to explore the possibility of a trade. They are only one spot beneath us, (before our trade with the Skins) and look what we were able to obtain. Sure, Tannehill won't bring as much of a "wow factor" to the team that ends up selecting him as RGIII, but the Vikes I'm sure are willing to listen to any team that puts together a really good offer.