• 2 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: Vikings Are Prime Candidates to Trade Up for Bortles

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Vikings Are Prime Candidates to Trade Up for Bortles

Vikings Are Prime Candidates to Trade Up for Bortles
    Updated April 14, 2014
    By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Everyone knows that the St. Louis Rams want to trade down from the second-overall pick. With the 2014 quarterback class not yielding multiple elite prospects for the top of the draft, there has been some doubt about the Rams' ability to move down this year. However, if the Houston Texans take Jadeveon Clowney with the first pick, there are a number of teams that could move up with the Rams to get the top-ranked quarterback.

One team that is a prime contender to move up with St. Louis is the Minnesota Vikings. Sources have told us that the Vikings are a real contender to move up for Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles.

That trade was documented in two recent mock drafts on WalterFootball.com in Walt's trade mock and my mock . His good work ethic meshes well with the new coaching staff, and sources say that Bortles is the Vikings' top-rated quarterback with Derek Carr as their No. 2 quarterback.

Minnesota clearly needs a franchise quarterback, and the team has extra ammo to move up with two third-round picks. Sources with the Rams say that it would take a lot for St. Louis to drop down to eight. The Vikings could try a big package of second-day picks, but might have to use their 2015 first-rounder.

Even if they deal a 2015 first-round pick, they still would have drafted six first-round talents over a four-year span (2012-2015). That list of first-rounders would include three on each side of the ball with Sharrif Floyd, Xavier Rhodes, Harrison Smith, Matt Kalil, Cordarrelle Patterson and potentially Bortles. However, the price could rise or fall depending on other teams looking to get involved in the trade market.

The Rams were able to get a huge haul of draft picks from the Redskins in order for Washington to draft Robert Griffin III in 2012. In that same draft, St. Louis moved down again with the Dallas Cowboys for a second-round pick to the 14th-overall pick from the sixth-overall choice. Last year, the Rams moved down in the 20s before selecting linebacker Alec Ogletree. As we highlighted below, if the Rams are stuck at No. 2, they would be inclined toward drafting Khalil Mack and are said to be falling in love with him. Thus, it will take a lot for St. Louis to pass up on Mack.

The Vikings know in order to land Bortles, they would need to trade with the Rams because Bortles could easily be drafted by the Jaguars at three, Browns at four or Raiders at five. The deal wouldn't go down until the Rams are on the clock, but St. Louis could end up with another big haul of early-round picks, and Minnesota could finally land the franchise quarterback it has been missing.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Re: Vikings Are Prime Candidates to Trade Up for Bortles

I'm not sold on the "Rams falling in love with Mack" notion. But I sure do hope other teams are.
    Richbert88 likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm not sold on the "Rams falling in love with Mack" notion. But I sure do hope other teams are.
    Agreed. He may be intriguing, would be a better fit use wise than Clowney, but I don't see us picking him over the OTs or Watkins for that matter.

Also it would most definitely take a 2015 No. 1 to move down from the 2 spot to 8. By that pt all the marquee names will be gone, and yes its great to have a lot of picks in this draft but at some pt you want that stud/superstar player(s)!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I agree, for the simple reason that Campbell is the only person who seems to know of this alleged love affair. I find it hard to believe that he is the only one with an inside source. This strikes me as more of a "I'll keep repeating an outside the box theory so, if it comes true, I'll look like a real insider" strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by turbofargo View Post
    Agreed. He may be intriguing, would be a better fit use wise than Clowney, but I don't see us picking him over the OTs or Watkins for that matter.

Also it would most definitely take a 2015 No. 1 to move down from the 2 spot to 8. By that pt all the marquee names will be gone, and yes its great to have a lot of picks in this draft but at some pt you want that stud/superstar player(s)!
    MAY be gone, may be. If we figure there's the fab five (Watkins, 2 OTs, 2 pass rushers), then 3 QBs would have to go 1-7 in order for one of the fab five to fall to us at #8.

In this scenario, the 1st two picks are Clowney and Bortles. That leaves the Jags, Browns, Raiders, Falcons, and Bucs ahead of us. With the exception of the Falcons (who could trade out with Clowney gone), all of them "could" go after a QB. We would need 2 of those 5 to pick a QB, or go outside the fab five. The 8th pick is dicey to get one of the fab five, but not out of the question.

turbofargo is offline Registered User

MAY be gone, may be. If we figure there's the fab five (Watkins, 2 OTs, 2 pass rushers), then 3 QBs would have to go 1-7 in order for one of the fab five to fall to us at #8.

In this scenario, the 1st two picks are Clowney and Bortles. That leaves the Jags, Browns, Raiders, Falcons, and Bucs ahead of us. With the exception of the Falcons (who could trade out with Clowney gone), all of them "could" go after a QB. We would need 2 of those 5 to pick a QB, or go outside the fab five. The 8th pick is dicey to get one of the fab five, but not out of the question.
    Given the weak state of the QBs its not out of the question for some other teams to nab the five who fall close to them, and without having to give too much. If this scenario holds and we do go to 8 I hope your right and that someone of the five falls.

If that happened I think it would be Matthews. I keep getting he's a safe pick, but maybe not a great pick vibe from a lot of people so he might last. The others keep getting the once in a decade/generation OMG why would you pass on him, WHY DAMN YOU label. Matthews is getting the he's the one you take home to daddy, says the right things, and isn't crazy or dangerous.

The other possibly Watkins too depending on the chain of events which would be as confusing and complicated as figuring out what wild card team will make the playoffs. Most likely if there be one my money would be on Matthews.

So if we could get this years 2nd, next years 1st maybe this year's 3rd too(that might be too greedy though), and still get Matthews awesome.

Personally I rather see us deal with the Falcons. Won't get as much but don't have to worry about how the dice will land either.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Wouldn't take a chance at 8. I don't see three QB's in the first seven. And why should we take that chance... Its time for Quality not quantity...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Wouldn't take a chance at 8. I don't see three QB's in the first seven. And why should we take that chance... Its time for Quality not quantity...
    I tend to agree. Obviously we all have our preferences on what we'd like to see the Rams do with that top pick, but regardless of personal preference, if the Rams have this great pick from Washington and don't come away with one of the Fab Five (Clowney, Mack, Matthews, Robinson, Watkins), then I will be disappointed to some degree.

As for the Vikings, I think they'd be more inclined to trade up for Mack. I'm not sure I see anything about the top QBs in this class that would make me want to trade up into the Top 3 to secure one of them. At this point, I'm only expecting one to go Top 10. Wouldn't be shocked if we see a slip for some of them like we did last year.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    As for the Vikings, I think they'd be more inclined to trade up for Mack. I'm not sure I see anything about the top QBs in this class that would make me want to trade up into the Top 3 to secure one of them. At this point, I'm only expecting one to go Top 10. Wouldn't be shocked if we see a slip for some of them like we did last year.
    I basically agree, but don't count the possibility that some GM feels the pressure to nab a passer out of desperation. It seems that one or two teams do that every year. Christian Ponder knows what I'm talking about.

richtree is offline Registered User

Manziel and Bortles seem to be going....but will Carr or Bridgewater, or even Graloppalo sneak up enough...seems like Carr may be our only hope

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I tend to agree. Obviously we all have our preferences on what we'd like to see the Rams do with that top pick, but regardless of personal preference, if the Rams have this great pick from Washington and don't come away with one of the Fab Five (Clowney, Mack, Matthews, Robinson, Watkins), then I will be disappointed to some degree.
    The question that this raises is, do the Rams share the view of the Fab Five?

Could it be a "Select Six" (adding Evans to the list)? Or maybe a "Superior Seven" (adding Lewan to the list)? Or maybe a "Great Eight" (adding Gilbert)?

I will say this... if the Rams do trade with Minnesota, I'd be very interested in their 2015 first round pick. With a rookie QB, the Vikings are not likely to fare well in a division with Green Bay, Chicago and Detroit. Their first round pick in 2015 could be a Top 10 selection.
    Truth and Randart like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Moving down to 8 would take a really good deal for the Rams IMO. If they could add two more high draft picks this year and a first next, id have no problem moving that far back.

We could still add one of the three best OTs this year or one of the best WR this year. Use the extra picks to rebuild the O line and the secondary. We could trade some of our own later round picks to move back up and grab another player of choice in the mid rounds or we could draft 14 players and let the cream rise to the top.
    Randart likes this.