View Poll Results: Should the Rams make an offer to Moss?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Make him an offer for the last 8 games

96 83.48%
  • NO...thank you

19 16.52%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Randy Moss is available...

Shefter and mort at half said rams are frontrunners...

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I say heck yeah take him. A future HOF'er for league minimum? If he so much as shoots his mouth off one time about Spags or the Rams, dump him before he can become the cancer many of you think he is. But even this "old-lost a step-not the same guy" is better than what the Rams have now on the field. His presence can only help Bradford and the Rams.

Bradford to Moss, TOUCHDOWN!!!!

I can hear it now, and it sounds sweet.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

dartbrandx is offline Registered User

I say get him if we can. If he thinks he can be the "savior" for the team, that'll play into his attitude towards the team. The truth is, we have many.....most of the pieces of the puzzle here. We just need a couple of the end pieces and we will be a threat. I will not offer anything past the West title, (no jinx here!!) but hell, who knows? This may be just what we need to get the job really done. I can't say he's a savior.....or the savior for this team, but we need someone like him out there.

dartbrandx is offline Registered User

Seriously though, do we really have a chance of getting him? I don't understand the way the waiver stuff works. If I read it correctly, there are 14 other teams that have a chance at him before us? (please forgive my ignorance on this). Is this correct?

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    The results of this poll are shocking. I'll say nothing more, don't want to ruffle the feathers of the chickadees ....
    Well consider them ruffled!

Seriously, it seems that the only thing people say that don't want him is... "No", "Hell No", or "No, but I won't say why."

I'd be interested in your opinion as to why picking up Moss would be a bad move.

Not saying it will do any good convincing me otherwise, but I'd be interested all the same.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

This explains what the situation is (and has been) like in Minnesota:

On Monday afternoon, Minnesota coach Brad Childress lost whatever remaining control he had over the Vikings locker room. In his own way, Childress has become the Captain from “Cool Hand Luke,” a smarmy, cruel and vindictive person. Yeah, he runs the show, but there is no respect.

In announcing the team’s intentions to release Randy Moss(notes), Childress confirmed what many in the Vikings organization have believed about him for years: His management of people is questionable, his willingness to listen is nonexistent and his reaction to criticism is punitive.

“When he told [the players] that he was cutting Randy, it was like a double-shot of pure caffeine,” a team source said. “It was one of those moments where you’re just jolted up, like, ‘Whoa, what just happened? Did he really just say that?’

“Really, I thought he was joking, then I realized it was Chilly and he doesn’t joke. Well, he jokes, but it’s not funny.”

Said another team source: “I just thought, ‘You’re kidding, right?’ This is nuts. We’re just getting to the point where he’s getting on page with [quarterback] Brett [Favre] and the offense is starting to really move the ball and then we do this.”

When it was mentioned that Moss’ production hasn’t been that good since being acquired four games ago in a trade from New England – Moss had 13 catches for 174 yards and two touchdowns, and only one catch for eight yards against the Patriots on Sunday – both sources scoffed.

“Look at the tape. Look at the coverages,” one of the sources said. “Look at what he does for everybody else. Percy [Harvin] is running free all over the field right now. The running game is moving along. I don’t even care about the fact that he’s smarter than everybody on the coaching staff. He’s a game-changer.

“Make it work.”

Instead, Childress did the opposite. When Moss, whose brilliance as a player is often obscured by his bizarre rants and on-again, off-again playing style, dared to second-guess the coaching staff after the loss to New England, Childress couldn’t handle it.

Never mind that the team was averaging a touchdown more per game with Moss (21.5 points the past four games versus 14.3 points in the first three games). Scoring be damned, Childress had to maintain control.

Rather than work with Moss, Childress is about to fire him. It’s one of the greatest mistakes that can be made in this league. Yes, coaches need to be in charge, but players must also be heard. Sometimes that means they have to be coddled.

Some people will say that Childress isn’t doing anything that Bill Belichick didn’t do earlier this season when he dealt Moss. If it’s OK for Belichick to trade Moss, why isn’t it OK for Childress to cut him? The problem with that comparison is that Childress is missing three things.

Or three rings, as it were.

Belichick has earned the right to make a bold move with a player like Moss because he has proved he can win without him. Even more, Belichick is smart enough to know how to work with troubled guys.

Early in his run with the Patriots, Belichick dealt with cornerback Ty Law(notes), a player who would often walk out of meetings or even be disruptive. Former Patriots assistant coach Eric Mangini, who was Law’s position coach, used to come into Belichick’s office on a regular basis and tell Belichick that Law needed to be cut.

Belichick, who also was the defensive coordinator with the New York Giants during Lawrence Taylor’s heyday, would politely remind Mangini of one simple thing: Law was one of the main reasons the Patriots won on most Sundays.

Childress has never proved that he can win without his best players. In fact, when the Vikings lost Sidney Rice(notes) before the season, the wheels came apart to the point that they had to deal for Moss – after failing to land the San Diego Chargers’ Vincent Jackson(notes).

That’s a sign of weakness, not strength.

This only confirms the growing tension that already existed in the Minnesota locker room before the season. Everyone in Minnesota knew back in training camp (and actually long before then), that Favre and Childress don’t get along. Favre doesn’t respect Childress, viewing him more as geeky impediment rather than a sophisticated football mind.

The difference with Favre is that Childress knows he needs Favre to have a real chance. Once Childress got Favre, there was no turning back. Make no mistake: Favre runs the show in that battle of alpha males.

When it came to Moss, Childress wasn’t going to let another player run roughshod over him. When Moss criticized the coaches Sunday after the loss to the Patriots, that was the tipping point.

“I tried to prepare,” Moss said. “I tried to talk to the players and coaches about how this game was going to be played and a couple tendencies here, couple tendencies there. The bad part about it – you have six days to prepare for a team, and on the seventh day, that Sunday, meaning today, I guess they come over to me and say, ‘Dag, Moss, you was right about a couple plays and a couple schemes they were going to run.’

“It hurts as a player that you put a lot of hard work in all week, and toward the end of the week, Sunday, when you get on the field, that’s when they acknowledge about the hard work you put in throughout the week. That’s actually a disappointment.”

Childress took that as an affront. To many others on the team, it was a cry for sanity.

“Randy had a point. Should he have said it to the media? Probably not, but that’s the way Randy is,” said one of the team sources. “When he wants to say something, he’s going to say it. Deal with it.”

Childress couldn’t.
    Last edited by Fargo Ram Fan; -11-01-2010 at 11:00 PM.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Well consider them ruffled!

Seriously, it seems that the only thing people say that don't want him is... "No", "Hell No", or "No, but I won't say why."

I'd be interested in your opinion as to why picking up Moss would be a bad move.

Not saying it will do any good convincing me otherwise, but I'd be interested all the same.
    Because it does NOTHING to help this team long term ...

It takes reps away from receivers that need them to develop ...

Moss is a one-trick pony. I want players that want to be here, not a one-shot, passing through town primadonna ...

Moss APPEARS to have matured on the outside, but nothing has changed ...

And he's going to want a ton here, he will expect every ball to be thrown his way ...

To this point, the Rams have not sold out to win an extra game or two short term, or put fans in the seats ...

They are trying to win championships. Adding Moss does not help this goal, unless a NFC west division championship is all you strive for ...

We can win that without Moss ...
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -11-01-2010 at 11:07 PM.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I believe I had a few reasons and said why, I didn't just say "no" and leave it. Just because you disagree doesn't mean I didn't say it or it doesn't count. Also I feel like pretty much the only one that said no, look at the poll

I've never wanted Moss and never will. That article just proves that Beli is willing to put up with attitude if it helps him win, and decided Moss was too much.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

And he's going to want a ton here, he will expect every ball to be thrown his way ...
    This was one of my points, bad for Bradford. He's going to be in his face and ear if the ball isn't coming his way, and often. Not only will that have a negative impact on Bradford (Say what you will about him, but he's still a rookie and Moss is a future HOFer, he'll listen to a degree) but undermines who is the leader and playcaller on offense.

Moss made it clear that when he has something to say about playcalling, it needs to be followed. Why would that be different here?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't know, a guy that regularly takes plays off, only gives a 100% when he wants to and pouts when things don't go his way, doesn't seem like the kind of player Spags is looking for.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Some of these silly, far fetched, bunnies and rainbows, rumor based 'reasons' not to bring a legitimate (HOF) deep threat here for 8 games (and a possible PLAYOFF PUSH) after winning 6 GAMES in 3 YEARS, are simply laugh out loud funny. These are MEN...playing a MANS GAME. Give them some credit for being able to handle someone with a bit of a MOUTH...who can still get it done at WR...for 8 friggin games. Go cry to Dr Phil about this other nonsense.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

macrammer is online now Registered User

What does he get us? Short term gain with some major pain? Is he going to make us into Champions this year? Is he the key ingredient we are missing?

I think this team is going about their business in the way an organization should. Locker room and team concept with nobody putting themselves ahead of others. We are 4-4 and getting back to repsectability. Moss could give us some talent with a whole lot of attitude. No thanks. We are on track to turn this around big time 1-2 years down the road. Stay the course. Rolling stones gather no MOSS!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Lets face it, the rams have absolutely no credible deep threat of any kind right now. There are only so many games we are going to be able to win without getting the ball down the field, and we have yet to prove that we can win on the road. If you exclude money, i just dont see the downside of signing the guy. There is no way anyone is going to convince me that we are worse off with moss on the rams. We may not be better off and he may turn into a distraction, but if he does, we cut him and its only money> I didnt want to trade value to get him, for in an uncapped year, for some of kroenke's money, absolutely worth the upside if you want to try and win the division. We are half a game out with three huge divisional road games coming up. We are also in a bye week so moss would have at least some time to get some reps with bradford and learn some plays and do some praticing.

As rams fans, you cant have it both ways. If you want to play for the future, fine. BUt if you want to try and win the division, this is a guy that can only help us. Bradford needs a deep threat and a guy that can perform at a high level at wide receiver. Our guys simply rarely get separation and they miss too many balls. I love danny, but the other guys are just ok at best.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Lets face it, the rams have absolutely no credible deep threat of any kind right now. There are only so many games we are going to be able to win without getting the ball down the field, and we have yet to prove that we can win on the road. If you exclude money, i just dont see the downside of signing the guy. There is no way anyone is going to convince me that we are worse off with moss on the rams. We may not be better off and he may turn into a distraction, but if he does, we cut him and its only money> I didnt want to trade value to get him, for in an uncapped year, for some of kroenke's money, absolutely worth the upside if you want to try and win the division. We are half a game out with three huge divisional road games coming up. We are also in a bye week so moss would have at least some time to get some reps with bradford and learn some plays and do some praticing.

As rams fans, you cant have it both ways. If you want to play for the future, fine. BUt if you want to try and win the division, this is a guy that can only help us. Bradford needs a deep threat and a guy that can perform at a high level at wide receiver. Our guys simply rarely get separation and they miss too many balls. I love danny, but the other guys are just ok at best.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I agree 200% with everything you said.

I am sure we are all looking toward the future, but when will we make some kind of signing to help us out immediately? If we get Moss, I will guarantee you we make the playoffs. Were a dangerous team with ABSOLUTELY NO WR that can stretch the field. I mean Bradford has RARELY tested his pretty deep throw, and with Moss there we would have several more big plays. Also it would take a ton of attention of SJAX and the other WR's.

I see a much bigger upside than downside here..

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Because it does NOTHING to help this team long term ...

It takes reps away from receivers that need them to develop ...

Moss is a one-trick pony. I want players that want to be here, not a one-shot, passing through town primadonna ...

Moss APPEARS to have matured on the outside, but nothing has changed ...

To this point, the Rams have not sold out to win an extra game or two short term, or put fans in the seats ...

They are trying to win championships. Adding Moss does not help this goal, unless a NFC west division championship is all you strive for ...

We can win that without Moss ...
    I'll break this down line by line...

Your absolutely right, long term, this doesn't affect us at all. Randy will be here for 8 games thats it.

You mean taking reps away from receivers like Gibson and LR, who I respect a ton and appreciate what they have done for the Rams, but I would be surprised if they even make the team with a healthy Avery, Clayton and Danario Alexander, with Ammendola and Gilyard filling out the five.

One trick that we desperately lack, and that would improve our offense substantially.

You either love Randy or you hate him, and from everything I have heard of his former teammates and quarterbacks, they love him.

As I have said, I think Sam is mature enough to not be pushed around by Moss, he will throw to the open man.

I don't think $3.4 million of Wal-Mart money is "selling out".

Gotta win the West before you win the Super Bowl, have to win one championship before you win multiple ones.

We can win without Moss, but I believe we WILL win with Moss.

See how fun that was?

Oh and Berg, I tried to rep you, apparently I like you too much though.
    Sure you didn't convince, it would be hard to do at this point

Of course, I have put my entire faith in Devaney, if he feels like the eleven of you naysayers, that Moss will only distract this young and hopeful team, then I will accept that and move on. But boy has this news got me excited!
    Last edited by C-Mob 71; -11-02-2010 at 12:17 AM.