Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Vinnie's dream offseason (pre-Combine)

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Vinnie's dream offseason (pre-Combine)

After reading other people's hopes for the offseason, I figured I'd jump into the deep end and create my own… of course all this is subject to change after the Combine. Well heeeeere I go...

First things first…

CUTS:

Scott Wells - saving 4 million
    Harvey Dahl - saving 4.5 million
    Cortland Finnegan - saving 4 million

I think Wells and Dahl are as good as gone, and unless Finny takes a huge pay cut I doubt he returns also. With these cuts this leaves the Rams with approximately 19 million left. Minus from that what it will take to sign all our draft picks and that leaves the Rams with around 11 million to play with. Now on to our FA's...

RE-SIGN:

Roger Saffold - 6 million a year (with the first year's cap hit being a little less to allow for some flexibility)

Shelley Smith - 650 k, decent player gets a small raise and provides good depth

Jo-Lonn Dunbar - 1.2 million, remains a starter at OLB for at least another year

Kellen Clemens - 1.2 million, gets rewarded for playing well last year with a small raise

Smith, Dunbar, and Clemens all return to the team and are given small raises. Saffold, underwhelmed by the interest he gets in FA to play Tackle, resigns with the Rams and gets paid like a top-15 guard (with the first year counting at around 4 million against this year's cap). This leaves the Rams with around 6 or 7 million to sign FA's, and honestly that's all we would need because I only have one guy in mind...

FREE AGENTS:

Jairus Byrd - 8 million a year (decreased a bit in the first year to keep the Rams under the cap)

Sure, 8 million is a lot of money, but when that money is going towards fixing the Ram's biggest weakness the past couple years, it's money well spent. I'm not completely sold on any of the Safeties in this year's draft, and I'd much rather use those picks on other positions of need. Speaking of the draft...

DRAFT:

#2 - Jadeveon Clowney - Do we need another DE… not really; but when the best player in the draft falls into your lap (Bortles goes first to HOU), you have to take him. I like Chris Long, but in 2015 he's due for a 15 million cap hit, and eventually the Rams are going to need that money to resign other more important free agents (like Quinn). As for this year, Clowney can rotate in and out at DE and DT until he supplants Long as the starter.

#13 - Mike Evans - Great compliment to the Rams smaller receivers, and gives them a great go-to guy in the red zone

#44 - Cyril Richardson - Starts opposite Saffold at the other Guard spot, gives the Rams two run-blocking maulers on the interior of the O-line

#77 - Stanley Jean Baptiste - Big, physical corner with good coverage skills, could move to the outside on passing downs while JJ or Trumaine defends the slot

Rounds 4-7: BPA at OLB, QB, RB, and OL

OFFENSE:

QB - Sam Bradford
    RB- Zac Stacy
    TE - Jared Cook
    LT - Jake Long
    LG - Cyril Richardson
    C - Tim Barnes or Barrett Jones
    RG - Roger Saffold
    RT - Joe Barksdale
    WR - Mike Evans
    WR - Chris Givens or Stedman Bailey
    Slot - Tavon Austin

DEFENSE:

DE - Robert Quinn
    DT - Kendall Langford
    DT - Michael Brockers
    DE - Chris Long or Jadeveon Clowney
    OLB - Jo-Lonn Dunbar
    MLB - James Laurinaitus
    OLB - Alec Ogletree
    CB - Janoris Jenkins
    FS - Jairus Byrd
    SS - TJ McDonald
    CB - Trumaine Johnson or Stanley Jean-Baptiste

Now I love me some Clowney, but if someone were to wow the Rams with an offer they couldn't refuse, I'd seriously consider trading down a couple spots to secure some more picks (and maybe grabbing an O-Lineman). However, for the sake of having to re-do this whole post, I just have the Rams selecting Clowney at #2.
    sosa39rams likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Vinnie's dream offseason (pre-Combine)

The offensive line concerns me.

I'm really uncomfortable with either Barret Jones or Tim Barnes at center. Also, I doubt Jake Long will be ready for the season opener. If we resign Saffold, he would shift to LT until Long is healthy. That leaves us with our interior line consisting of three unproven players.

I'm really on the fence with Mike Evans, but we could use his type at receiver.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-22-2014 at 03:48 AM.
    Mikey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    The offensive line concerns me.

I'm really uncomfortable with either Barret Jones or Tim Barnes at center. Also, I doubt Jake Long will be ready for the opener either. That leaves a gaping hole on Bradford's blindside. Even if it's only for a few games, I don't want to see and average fill-in at LT when Bradfords coming off an ACL tear.

I'm really on the fence with Mike Evans, but we could use his type at receiver.
    Ya I agree our line does make me a little uncomfortable, but I think that even if Jake Long were to miss a couple games, the Rams could do a lot worse than having Saffold/Richardson/Jones/Smith/Barksdale holding down the fort for a couple games. Plus, by the time of the draft the Rams should know whether or not Long is recovering on schedule. As for Mike Evans at #13, I was going back and forth between drafting a WR or a CB at that spot (I really liked Dennard or Gilbert). I eventually went with Evans because I think he's the most ready to contribute from day one, plus I figured the Rams could get a big, physical CB like Jean-Baptiste in day 2.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I don't think the Rams will be able to afford Saffold and Byrd. It's one or the other.

I love your first round picks as you should know. Clowney is the top guy and will be a beast across from Quinn. Evans is offering something we haven't had at WR in a long time. He's going to excel and make Sam's job a lot easier.

I'm not a fan of Cyril Richardson. I'd take some other OG's ahead of him at that point.

SJB is a good player and I could live with him in round 3. A big physical CB.

THE DREAM TEAM

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Ya I agree our line does make me a little uncomfortable, but I think that even if Jake Long were to miss a couple games, the Rams could do a lot worse than having Saffold/Richardson/Jones/Smith/Barksdale holding down the fort for a couple games. Plus, by the time of the draft the Rams should know whether or not Long is recovering on schedule. As for Mike Evans at #13, I was going back and forth between drafting a WR or a CB at that spot (I really liked Dennard or Gilbert). I eventually went with Evans because I think he's the most ready to contribute from day one, plus I figured the Rams could get a big, physical CB like Jean-Baptiste in day 2.
    My emphasis on the offensive line, besides the obvious holes in it, stems from watching how the team has performed in the past.

Last year, for example, even when the mediocre Kellen Clemens was behind center, the Rams proved to be a legitimate team. It all goes back to the offensive line. The defense obviously had a part in it too, but I'm focusing on the offensive side of the ball. When they got a push and created even the littlest of holes, Stacy had great success. This really opened up the playbook, and made teams respect the run. Not to mention, when you give Bradford even a decent amount of time, he is a pretty successful QB.

Our defense was truly dominant at times last year, but they can only do so much. They dominated Seattle's offense in their first meeting. That was a game we should've won, but our offensive played horrible.

I'm personally tired of seeing the Rams with an average offensive line, year in and year out. In my opinion, it's the one unit with the most potential to hold this team back in 2014.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-22-2014 at 04:26 AM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

After reading other people's hopes for the offseason, I figured I'd jump into the deep end and create my own… of course all this is subject to change after the Combine. Well heeeeere I go...

First things first…

CUTS:

Scott Wells - saving 4 million
    Harvey Dahl - saving 4.5 million
    Cortland Finnegan - saving 4 million

I think Wells and Dahl are as good as gone, and unless Finny takes a huge pay cut I doubt he returns also. With these cuts this leaves the Rams with approximately 19 million left. Minus from that what it will take to sign all our draft picks and that leaves the Rams with around 11 million to play with. Now on to our FA's...

RE-SIGN:

Roger Saffold - 6 million a year (with the first year's cap hit being a little less to allow for some flexibility)

Shelley Smith - 650 k, decent player gets a small raise and provides good depth

Jo-Lonn Dunbar - 1.2 million, remains a starter at OLB for at least another year

Kellen Clemens - 1.2 million, gets rewarded for playing well last year with a small raise

Smith, Dunbar, and Clemens all return to the team and are given small raises. Saffold, underwhelmed by the interest he gets in FA to play Tackle, resigns with the Rams and gets paid like a top-15 guard (with the first year counting at around 4 million against this year's cap). This leaves the Rams with around 6 or 7 million to sign FA's, and honestly that's all we would need because I only have one guy in mind...

FREE AGENTS:

Jairus Byrd - 8 million a year (decreased a bit in the first year to keep the Rams under the cap)

Sure, 8 million is a lot of money, but when that money is going towards fixing the Ram's biggest weakness the past couple years, it's money well spent. I'm not completely sold on any of the Safeties in this year's draft, and I'd much rather use those picks on other positions of need. Speaking of the draft...

DRAFT:

#2 - Jadeveon Clowney - Do we need another DE… not really; but when the best player in the draft falls into your lap (Bortles goes first to HOU), you have to take him. I like Chris Long, but in 2015 he's due for a 15 million cap hit, and eventually the Rams are going to need that money to resign other more important free agents (like Quinn). As for this year, Clowney can rotate in and out at DE and DT until he supplants Long as the starter.

#13 - Mike Evans - Great compliment to the Rams smaller receivers, and gives them a great go-to guy in the red zone

#44 - Cyril Richardson - Starts opposite Saffold at the other Guard spot, gives the Rams two run-blocking maulers on the interior of the O-line

#77 - Stanley Jean Baptiste - Big, physical corner with good coverage skills, could move to the outside on passing downs while JJ or Trumaine defends the slot

Rounds 4-7: BPA at OLB, QB, RB, and OL

OFFENSE:

QB - Sam Bradford
    RB- Zac Stacy
    TE - Jared Cook
    LT - Jake Long
    LG - Cyril Richardson
    C - Tim Barnes or Barrett Jones
    RG - Roger Saffold
    RT - Joe Barksdale
    WR - Mike Evans
    WR - Chris Givens or Stedman Bailey
    Slot - Tavon Austin

DEFENSE:

DE - Robert Quinn
    DT - Kendall Langford
    DT - Michael Brockers
    DE - Chris Long or Jadeveon Clowney
    OLB - Jo-Lonn Dunbar
    MLB - James Laurinaitus
    OLB - Alec Ogletree
    CB - Janoris Jenkins
    FS - Jairus Byrd
    SS - TJ McDonald
    CB - Trumaine Johnson or Stanley Jean-Baptiste

Now I love me some Clowney, but if someone were to wow the Rams with an offer they couldn't refuse, I'd seriously consider trading down a couple spots to secure some more picks (and maybe grabbing an O-Lineman). However, for the sake of having to re-do this whole post, I just have the Rams selecting Clowney at #2.
    Like just about everything. One note though. If we're going to draft a potential number one WR, we might be better off trading down from 13 and drafting Benjamin instead of Evans. Evans may be better than Benjamin right now, but I doubt he's better than Benjamin and say, an extra 3rd.

I'm personally tired of seeing the Rams with an average offensive line, year in and year out. In my opinion, it's the one unit with the most potential to hold this team back in 2014.
    Les Snead says of all the units on this team, he is most proud of the Offensive Line.

That tells me that he doesn't share your view of the Oline.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Les Snead says of all the units on this team, he is most proud of the Offensive Line.

That tells me that he doesn't share your view of the Oline.
    It tells me he knows there isn't a lot of talent there and they played way above themselves. I agree with Festus I'm tired of not having a good OLine. It's been 10 years since we had one and those are the only 10 years out of 35 that I've been a Rams fan that we haven't had a good OLine. Going into the year hoping Long and Saffold stay healthy and Barksdale progresses will make it another long year as a Rams fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    It tells me he knows there isn't a lot of talent there and they played way above themselves. I agree with Festus I'm tired of not having a good OLine. It's been 10 years since we had one and those are the only 10 years out of 35 that I've been a Rams fan that we haven't had a good OLine. Going into the year hoping Long and Saffold stay healthy and Barksdale progresses will make it another long year as a Rams fan.
    Before Jake Long got hurt at the end of the season the Rams had a pretty good line. Jake was playing like a Pro-Bowler at LT, while Barksdale was above average at RT. Even though the inside of the line weren't world beaters, Saffold was playing great at LG and they were consistently opening up holes for Zac Stacy. Add in a run-mauling beast at RG (either Cyril Richardson or Gabe Jackson) and the Rams O-Line would be much improved from last year, all depending on if Jake Long comes back healthy

My emphasis on the offensive line, besides the obvious holes in it, stems from watching how the team has performed in the past.

Last year, for example, even when the mediocre Kellen Clemens was behind center, the Rams proved to be a legitimate team. It all goes back to the offensive line. The defense obviously had a part in it too, but I'm focusing on the offensive side of the ball. When they got a push and created even the littlest of holes, Stacy had great success. This really opened up the playbook, and made teams respect the run. Not to mention, when you give Bradford even a decent amount of time, he is a pretty successful QB.

Our defense was truly dominant at times last year, but they can only do so much. They dominated Seattle's offense in their first meeting. That was a game we should've won, but our offensive played horrible.

What held us back last year wasn't the offensive line, it was our QB situation and our secondary. When healthy our O-line was an average to above average unit, and they consistently gave Stacy lanes to run in and Clemens time to throw. Of course they struggled with the better defensive teams (Whiners, Hawks, and Cards), but just upgrading Clemens to Bradford could change the outcome of some of those games.

Mikey is offline Registered User

What held us back last year wasn't the offensive line, it was our QB situation and our secondary. When healthy our O-line was an average to above average unit, and they consistently gave Stacy lanes to run in and Clemens time to throw. Of course they struggled with the better defensive teams (Whiners, Hawks, and Cards), but just upgrading Clemens to Bradford could change the outcome of some of those games.

It very well could. But giving Sam more time to pass and opening up more lanes for Stacy changes the outcomes more in our favor. Our defense in the second half of the season didn't lose us any games it won us some. Same can't be said on offense, and I don't know that just having Sam back is enough to push us over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I'll say it again, good Olines are made through cohesion and continuity as much as they are made with 1st round picks.

See the Oline for GSOT for clarification. One 1st rounder on the entire unit and nobody else drafted before the 5th round, yet we were arguably the greatest offense in NFL history. But you don't have to take my word for it, look it up yourself.

Also, you left out "for me" after "long year" in your last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I'll say it again, good Olines are made through cohesion and continuity as much as they are made with 1st round picks.

See the Oline for GSOT for clarification. One 1st rounder on the entire unit and nobody else drafted before the 5th round, yet we were arguably the greatest offense in NFL history. But you don't have to take my word for it, look it up yourself.

Also, you left out "for me" after "long year" in your last sentence.
    You hit the nail on the head, I think after a year of working together (and maybe adding a G or C in the draft) the Rams O-Line will play even better in 2014. Unless Jake Long's recovery is not going well at all, I'd be more than comfortable going to war with him and Barksdale as our Tackles

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Yea, you CAN build an O-line over time, but the Rams need guys NOW, that can star NOW against those great defensive lines and LB in the West.

Thankfully, Fisher and Snead are going to make SURE this area is addressed, and not with long shots.

And the GSOT had Marshall Faulk, to dump the ball to and to block.

They also had Timmerman, who was an Pro Bowler and high paid FA.

Look at the lines in Seattle and SF.

LOTS of top picks

Now look at teams struggling for years on the line, that ignored the line and hoped they would get lucky.

Sorry, but your ideal off-season would be a disaster for Sam Bradford , Zac Stacy, and the Rams offense.

You actually think an injured Long, Barksdale, Tim Barnes, a rookie guard, and an unnamed sixth rounder guard can possibly win in this division?

Clearly you don't understand the importance of O-line TALENT in this era of big/fast pass rushers and huge, fast tackles.

Seattle and the Niners do.

Denver has a #1, two #2 a #3 and #4 on THEIR O-line
    New England has two first rounders on the line, and probably will add another early in this draft.
    Cincinnati has 2 #1 a #2 and a #4 on their O-line
    Carolina has 2 #1 and a #3
    KC has 2 #1 , 2 #2 and a #3
    Indy has 2 #1, a #2 and a #3
    N.O has 1 #1 a #2 and a #4

Those are the best teams in the NFL, along with SF and Seattle

Now, look at teams that had talent, but tried to get by on a makeshift O-line:
    Rams
    Falcons
    Giants
    Packers
    Lions
    Cowboys
    Buccaneers
    Vikings
    Steelers
    Dolphins
    Bears

All of them seem to get their RB and QB hurt.

And that GSOT line almost got Kurt Warner killed, and prematurely ended his Rams career. It got even worse for Bulger.
    Barry Waller

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Add Houston to that last group, and also the Redksins
    Barry Waller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast