Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    viper is offline Registered User

Viper's 1st Ever Offseason Mock 1.0

Here are the 2010 offseason moves of the St. Louis Rams that continue the rebuilding program that Devaney and company began at the beginning of the 2009 season. I’m not very knowledgeable about non-Ram players, so keep that in mind. I’m just throwing stuff at the wall to see what you guys think for my first try.

Departing:

Kyle Boller – He never should have been a starting QB in the NFL. He is too inconsistent, inaccurate on his long ball and will throw the drive killing interception at any moment.

Randy McMichael – Randy’s best days are behind him in Miami. We all had high hopes for him when the previous regime brought him in. But, he was inconsistent and had too many drive stopping drops when the ball hit him in a bad spot (his hands). Next!

Alex Barron – I was ecstatic when the Rams selected Barron in the draft to play RT with Pace at LT. Mental mistakes in the form of rampant false starts and holding calls along with a half-hearted work ethic plagues Barron his entire career with the Rams. Time to move on.

Jonathon Wade – Hasn’t lived up to his potential. An underachiever that hasn’t been able to get on the field much. With Butler returning to the lineup, the cornerbacks are serviceable for the time being.

Leonard Little – A pass rushing monster in his day, Leonard’s skills have begun to diminish. Although, he had a decent year in terms of sacks, his technique now has him pass rushing past the QB too often. Might be kept in a situational capacity…might retire. I think it’s time to bring in some new blood.

Resign:

Craig Dahl – Has been a pleasant surprise in the defensive backfield. Always around the ball, making a solid contribution ever since joining the club.

O.J. Atogwe – Known for his ability for getting takeaways, the Rams offer him enough to keep him around. Improvement on the defensive line will only help his interception numbers.

Clifton Ryan – the anchor of the defensive line must be retained. Ryan brings his lunch pail to work every day and just gets it done. Nuff said!!!

Gary Gibson – In the few appearances that Gibson made, he showed good potential for disrupting plays along the defensive line. He shouldn’t cost much to retain. Good depth.

Mark Setterstrom – The Rams need bodies on the OL and Mark has been a solid player when healthy.

Free Agency:

Ray Edwards (DE) – The Rams are in need of a defensive end opposite of Chris Long. In Minnesota, Edwards was a part of one of the most dominate defensive lines in football. He is strong against the run and had 6.5 sacks in 2009. At only 25 years old, Edwards could be part of the rebuilding process that turns the Rams around in the years to come.

Tony Scheffler (TE) – With the departure of Rand McMichael, Scheffler steps in as the no. 1 TE. A good receiving threat, Scheffler is also a good blocker.

Jerious Norwood (RB) – His name is popping up quite often lately as a Rams acquisition and for good reason. His running style and speed make him the perfect complement to Stephen Jackson.

Malcom Floyd (WR) – The 28 year old Floyd is a veteran presence that is badly needed in the WR corps. At 6’5”, 225 lbs. Floyd has proven to be a vertical threat to stretch the field with the size to come down with the ball. Although, not a no. 1 WR, Floyd will compliment the youth that the Rams currently have on the roster.

NFL Draft:

ROUND ONE: NDAMUKONG SUH, DT, NEBRASKA
    The consensus no. 1 player in the draft, Suh will bring the Rams defense back to respectability if not downright domination. His presence will make those around him much more productive. Including a secondary that has been somewhat of a weakness this year.

ROUND TWO: BRUCE CAMPBELL, OT, MARYLAND
    With the departure of Barron the Rams need to find a quality player to man the RT spot. Campbell is a great talent that will help solidify the right side for years to come.

ROUND THREE: SEAN CANFIELD, QB, OREGON STATE
    The Rams keep Bulger for the time being. With an improved OL it just may extend Bulger’s career in St. Louis. In the meantime, the Rams will bring Canfield along slowly allowing him the time to develop into a solid starter at the next level. He’s an accurate passer with a strong arm.

ROUNDS FOUR – SEVEN: OLB, OL, CB, DE
    Last edited by viper; -01-16-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Viper's 1st Ever Offseason Mock 1.0

Dude, white is just not good against a beige/light colored background.

However, this is a solid mock offseason. I like it all. Out of curiosity, why is Canfield our 3rd round pick? I'm not saying it's a bad pick, I ask this because I don't know much about him.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

shower beers is offline Registered User

Campbell is going to be a first round pick this year.

Like the keeping of Gibson. I can't understand why everyone is so quick to dump him. He was starting for us before he was injured.

I like picking up all the free agents, but question our ability to bring them in. I think San Diego will do a lot to retain Floyd.

Overall, nice mock.

I have been watching Canfield at Oregon State alot this year since I live in Pac-10 country. He is very accurate. A pure passer that throws a very pretty pass. He also has a very strong arm. I believe he has been underestimated by the pundits. He is my sleeper pick this year. I believe he can be a solid NFL QB if he is brought along properly.
    Last edited by viper; -01-16-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Campbell is going to be a first round pick this year.
    You are probably right. Players do drop though. If Campbell is gone I would go with the next best available OT.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I like picking up all the free agents, but question our ability to bring them in. I think San Diego will do a lot to retain Floyd.
    That's always going to be the question until we actually get there. Anything can happen in FA. One can always hope!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Solid mock, Viper. In my mock I had the Rams taking Canfield in the 5th round, but both you and Nick have him in the 3rd. Looks like he has already started his ascent up the board.

I like your thought processes on our FA acquisitions, but maybe if we sign a decent young RT like Tyson Clabo we could then not have to go OL in the 2nd.

Unfortunately, I, too, think that Campbell will in all likelihood be gone in the first round.

Anyway, good job and keep 'em coming.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Solid mock, Viper. In my mock I had the Rams taking Canfield in the 5th round, but both you and Nick have him in the 3rd. Looks like he has already started his ascent up the board.

I like your thought processes on our FA acquisitions, but maybe if we sign a decent young RT like Tyson Clabo we could then not have to go OL in the 2nd.

Unfortunately, I, too, think that Campbell will in all likelihood be gone in the first round.

Anyway, good job and keep 'em coming.

WHAT SAY YE?
    Thanks, RAMarkable! I appreciate your feedback.

I really like Sean Canfield as someone that we can develop. I think his stock will rise as the draft approaches. I see him as the type of QB that Mike Martz would love to work with. That may be somewhat overstated, but he has a strong arm and throws a really nice ball.

I was trying to take my mock in a different direction than several that I had seen previously. In particular, I'm leaning towards addressing our WR in FA with a veteran presence. Then taking a RT in the 2nd round. Which should get us a pretty good RT for years to come. Campbell may be gone, but you get the point. We should still be able to get someone solid in the 2nd round.
    Last edited by viper; -01-19-2010 at 12:43 AM.

msha is offline Registered User

i would go olb in rd 2 and get either weatherspoon or hughes in there available and get javier arenas in rd 3 and hope for lefevour in rd 4

swatter555 is offline Registered User

And if the off-season goes similiar to what you predict, what is the Rams record in 2010 and 2011? Pretty bad, huh?

The QB position needs to be dealt with sooner, rather than later. You can't simply write off the next few seasons because we are "rebuilding". If I am not mistaken we have been "rebuilding" since Martz left. Its time to stop rebuilding and try to put a damned NFL caliber team on the field.

You just can't pick a potential sleeper candidate at QB and hope for the best 3 years from now. This mock off-season spells disaster in my book.

If the Rams simply cannot pass up Su, then a FA QB is must to at least attempt to put a competitive team on the field next year. I cringe when people say "rebuilding mode", especially when it is an excuse for continued failure. We need to get someone who has the durability, talent, and the smarts to take advantage of defenses that exclusively key on SJ. There are strong debates about a few of the FA possibilities, so I will not rehash them here. Needless to say, as a fan, it sickens me to think of fielding another rebuilding team next year. We need to compete now, and the key to that is getting a decent QB in here that can help SJ out by taking a couple of guys out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    And if the off-season goes similiar to what you predict, what is the Rams record in 2010 and 2011? Pretty bad, huh?
    Its hard to say what the record would be. Just as it would be hard to predict no matter which available FA or drafted QB may come in.

The QB position needs to be dealt with sooner, rather than later. You can't simply write off the next few seasons because we are "rebuilding". If I am not mistaken we have been "rebuilding" since Martz left. Its time to stop rebuilding and try to put a damned NFL caliber team on the field.
    I'm not writing anything off. But the fact of the matter is we are in a rebuilding mode and it started when Devaney was hired. The turnover since then is undeniable.

If the Rams simply cannot pass up Su, then a FA QB is must to at least attempt to put a competitive team on the field next year. I cringe when people say "rebuilding mode", especially when it is an excuse for continued failure. We need to get someone who has the durability, talent, and the smarts to take advantage of defenses that exclusively key on SJ. There are strong debates about a few of the FA possibilities, so I will not rehash them here. Needless to say, as a fan, it sickens me to think of fielding another rebuilding team next year. We need to compete now, and the key to that is getting a decent QB in here that can help SJ out by taking a couple of guys out of the box.
    Personally, I'm not overly excited about any of the FA QB's that are being debated. And I'm not thrilled with the prospect of going another year with Bulger myself. I see Bulger as a stop-gap just as I do the other FA QB's. But, with all of the new pieces that would come together in my mock, I think Bulger would have as good of a chance in leading us to more victories as most of the FA QB's that are being discussed. We're talking a much better defense, a Barronless OL and all of his penalties and whiffs, a veteran 6'5" deep threat receiver, a legitimate TE that has proven he can catch the ball and a very good change of pace RB. With these pieces in place our team should be better next year regardless. Let's face it, this team is lacking in talent across the board. This whole mess is not all on Bulger.

You just can't pick a potential sleeper candidate at QB and hope for the best 3 years from now. This mock off-season spells disaster in my book.
    I can and I did. And I'm not talking 3 years down the road. It could be as early as mid-season 2010 depending on the circumstances. Although, I would hope not. Any rookie QB, whether you pick him in the 1st round or the 3rd round could have the same struggles early on. So, if you're advocating starting a 1st or 2nd rounder at the beginning of the year you will have a good chance of being disappointed with the result.

I'm not saying my mock is perfect, but who's is? Inevitably, there will be holes in every offseason strategy. You can't fix everything that is wrong with this 1-15 team this offseason. The hope is that Devaney and Spags will make the right moves that put us in the best position to compete. If that means a FA QB, I'd support that 100%.
    Last edited by viper; -01-19-2010 at 02:04 AM.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I am not blaming Bulger either. I think he would be fine to groom a rookie if he wasn't so damned frail.

I do like some of your picks, but your ommision of a FA QB is a weakness imo. I think a decent QB that forces teams to gaurd against the pass more often plus a change of pace back like Norwood would be a great combo.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Overall I think this is a very solid mock. I think the Rams' resignings/departures are pretty accurate and I'd say I agree with all of them.

Your free agency signings might be a little optimistic, but I think you'd targeted some good options. What happens if some of those guys get tendered offer sheets that require draft pick compensation?

The draft looks pretty good. Love Suh in the first round. I think Campbell in the second round is a bit optimistic. I wouldn't be shocked if he was the third or fourth OT taken in this class. I think a strong offseason showing secures a third or fourth round grade on Canfield, so I'm on board there as well.

Overall, nice job!

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

Doesn't bulger make too much money to just be our stop-gap qb? Aren't we payin this guy too much money to have him get lit up and suck for us? We need to release bulger and find a cheaper guy so we can have that money to spend on other pieces to our defensive/running game style,IMO.

I wouldn't mind having him on a restructered deal obviously as a stop-gap, but we need to get his nasty contract off the books.

Quote Originally Posted by SJacks039 View Post
    Doesn't bulger make too much money to just be our stop-gap qb? Aren't we payin this guy too much money to have him get lit up and suck for us? We need to release bulger and find a cheaper guy so we can have that money to spend on other pieces to our defensive/running game style,IMO.

I wouldn't mind having him on a restructered deal obviously as a stop-gap, but we need to get his nasty contract off the books.
    I hear where you are coming from. If Marc is willing to restructure his contract that would be great.

In any event, you have to keep in mind that again, Bulger didn't have very good pass protection and his receivers were very inconsistant. Injuries have plagued us again this year. I think alot of QB's would struggle under the same conditions. When given time, Bulger is as accurate as they come and he has been a warrior for us. Jason Smith, Jacob Bell, Incognito, Jason Brown all out at some point during the season. Did I miss anybody? Obviously, that has taken its toll on Marc, but, under the same circumstances I'm not convinced the FA QB's being discussed would fare much better. Given a healthy OL and WR's I think Marc can do well for us in 2010.
    Last edited by viper; -01-25-2010 at 09:24 PM.

SJacks039 is offline Registered User

I am not saying anything about those guys being better i would just like someone cheaper cause i know there are qb's out there who can do what mark has been doin for us lately. And i'm not blamin it on him that our team is bad, but his huge contract has muredered us from day one so he needs to be gone.

Lets take a chance on a 3rd rounder (lefevour?) i'm not particular, i just think we need a change of quarterback. I never liked his demeanor on the field or the fact that he ran into sacks weekly. He doesn't navigat well inside the pocket. The line that made him a probowler was definitly the best line in the nfl at the time . Obviously sometimes it was the line who let people get through, but somewhere along the line a 9-10 million-dollar-a-year man needs to make a play of his own. And he doesn't so he should be gone.
    Last edited by SJacks039; -01-26-2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: missed a couple words

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast