RamWraith is offline Registered User

Wagoners Sundays notes

Draft Day Two
    Sunday, April 30, 2006

- Another selection, another need filled. The Rams used their fifth round selection on Virginia quarterback/running back/receiver/return man Marques Hagans. Hagans was one of the highest rated pure returners on the team's board coming in and I know of at least a couple of people that are more than happy to add him to the mix. He has good elusiveness, speed and vision and will instantly be in the mix as a punt returner. As for offense, he could be a receiver or a running back, something Linehan said will be decided in time.

- The Rams have three seventh rounders remaining. Barring another move, those picks will round out the team's draft. It's hard to imagine another need this team has. There might be more surplus to add on the defensive line or perhaps linebacker, but best player available will probably be the path the rest of the way.

- First, the best news of all from Sunday morning. General manager Charley Armey checked out fine after a short hospital stay. He is back in the war room where he belongs and it's a relief to have him back. Nobody works harder or loves the draft more. Of all the moves the team could make today, this is the best news possible.

- The Rams continue to be aggressive under coach Scott Linehan. You have to like a coach who knows what he wants and goes out and gets it done. St. Louis traded its fourth round pick yesterday to move up for tight end Dominique Byrd. But with a need remaining at defensive end, the Rams shipped tight end Brandon Manumaleuna to San Diego for the Chargers' fourth-round choice. St. Louis promptly used that pick on Indiana defensive end Victor Adeyanju.

- All of a sudden, the Rams have a very young, but extremely talented tight end corps led by the likes of Byrd and Colorado's Joe Klopfenstein. Add in other potential players such as Jerome Collins, Aaron Walker and Rod Trafford, the red zone could be an exciting place for the Rams.

- Best of luck to Manumaleuna in San Diego. The fresh start is probably best for both sides.

- The Rams have really done a nice job of filling needs and making those needs fit in with the value of their picks. The aggressive approach of Linehan to the draft, trading and free agency should translate to the field and make for some exciting times in the near future.

- I'd also like to throw out a congratulations to my former classmate and Missouri quarterback Brad Smith, who was drafted by the New York Jets in the fourth round. You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer kid than Brad. Here's hoping for nothing but success for him in New York.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: Wagoners Sundays notes

Good Luck Brad!!!

bruce4life is offline Registered User

the red zone better be a place where the new Te's can contribute!!!!!! since the 2001 season we have gotten steadlily worse in that department

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I actually met Rod Trafford's mom at Friendly's on my birthday (Feb 14th) how weird is that? She saw my Rams sweatshirt I was wearing, and she said he was on the practice squad, and I didn't believe it, but now that I see the name, maybe he really is! lol

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams