Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Walter Football St. Louis Rams 2009 Pre-Draft Analysis

2009 NFL Pre-Draft Analysis - St. Louis Rams
    By Matt McGuire

Matt will be reviewing each team's 2009 Pre-Draft Analysis by talking about the draft range of targeted players.

St. Louis Rams (Last Year: 2-14)

The Rams simply could not generate team momentum and had another disappointing season. They canned Scott Linehan after Week 4 of the regular season after starting 0-4. Jim Haslett stepped in and won two very suprising games against respectable NFC East opponents... OK maybe we should not respect America's Chokers anymore until they actually win the playoffs. After they beat the Cowboys, Rams fans were like, "JIM HASLETT FTW ... CHAMPIONSHIP!" Then, they proceeded to lose 10 straight games en route to the No. 1 overall pick. Let's get right to the St. Louis Rams draft range at the No. 2 overall selection:

Michael Crabtree: There used to be a very high wave of hype for Michael Crabtree after Larry Fitzgerald's performance in the Super Bowl. I have always maintained the Rams have far greater needs and left tackle offers more positional value than wide receiver. It does not matter who is at receiver; if the quarterback does not have time in the pocket the receivers will never have an opportunity to make plays. Crabtree intelligently elected for surgery, and now no one has a 40 time on him. Crabtree has a zero-percent chance of going No. 2 overall.

Aaron Curry: We all know how desperately the Rams need defense, but I do not see them drafting a linebacker at this pick. They will move over Will Witherspoon from MIKE to WILL linebacker, which leaves a need in the middle of the defense. Quinton Culberson could be upgraded at the strongside, but I think he is a solid player. I do not think it is very probable the Rams go SAM linebacker at No. 2 overall.

Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe: Here we go. When it is all said and done, the favorites to the No. 2 overall pick will be Smith or Monroe. Take your pick, or if you are the Rams front office, flip a coin! I am mocking the Rams Monroe over Smith because I think Monroe has more polished footwork and is the more consistent blocker. Sure, Smith put up 33 reps at the Combine, but he only played in the two-point stance at Baylor, and as the great Mel Kiper questioned, "...a former tight end? People weren't even wowed over with him before the season? Are you kidding me?" Kiper was referencing Smith to the Lions at No. 1 overall, but my point is Kiper called Smith out because scouts did not think very highly of him before the season.

After the No. 2 selection, the Rams have a boatload of needs.

In terms of an inside linebacker, they could go with James Laurinaitis at No. 34 overall if he falls there. They could also take a look at Darry Beckwith, Dannell Ellerbe and Gerald McRath in the third or fourth rounds if they do not take Laurinaitis early on.

Ron Bartell is one of the most underrated corners in the NFL, but a starter is needed opposite him. Jonathan Wade looks like a complete bust. Fakhir Brown and Jason Craft will likely not be brought back, and if they are, they won't be entrenched as starters. Coye Francies, Alphonso Smith, and D.J. Moore are options at 34 overall. If they want to go with a corner in the mid rounds, I like Mark Parson, Jairus Byrd, Kevin Barnes, Brandon Underwood and Keenan Lewis.

Corey Chavous was cut and it looks as if they have no starter at the moment. William Moore, Patrick Chung, and Jairus Byrd (versatile at CB and S) are options at 34 overall in terms of in-the-box safeties. They might also consider Sherrod Martin, Darcel McBath, Courtney Green and Emmanuel Cook in their third- to fifth-round draft range.

A backup, change-of-pace tailback is needed behind Steven Jackson. I like Javon Ringer, Kory Sheets and Mike Goodson as options in the third or fourth rounds.

Do not overlook the Rams taking a defensive tackle off the board at 34. Both Ron Brace, Evander Hood and Peria Jerry all provide very solid value that high in the second round. Adam Carriker is a complete bust and Clifton Ryan has shown no play-making potential. I also think their draft range for defensive tackles includes Jarron Gilbert, Alex Magee, Sen'Derrick Marks, and Fili Moala are third or fourth round options. If they want to look for a late-round developmental player with potential, then they might have their eyes on Myron Pryor, Terrance Knighton and Roy Miller.

I like Donnie Avery, but Keenan Burton is an injury risk. Torry Holt's future is uncertain. I think the Rams have more pressing needs on defense, and will not opt for a receiver at 34 overall. Brian Robiskie, Juaquin Iglesias, Brandon Gibson, and Mike Wallace would all be solid third- or fourth-round picks. I like Brandon Tate as a flier in the later rounds.

Defensive end depth is very necessary behind Chris Long and Leonard Little. Kyle Moore, and Phillip Hunt are intriguing options in the third-to-fourth round range.

Marc Bulger really sucked last year, so the Rams might take a flier later on to try strike gold with a late-round selection. The top project quarterback in this draft I believe is Rhett Bomar of Sam Houston State. I watched him at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, and he has some intriguing physical tools. He has a good arm, but needs some technique work specifically with his release and footwork. If a coaching staff can mold him and coach him up, he could be a gem. I expect him to come off the board between Rounds 4 and 5.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Walter Football St. Louis Rams 2009 Pre-Draft Analysis

He really throws that "complete bust" tag around fairly often. I also don't think the chances of taking Crabtree are zero percent either.

I don't think I like this guy much...

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I like a bit more explaination as to why he feels Carriker is a "complete bust". Anyones input would be nice.

I thinks he was doing an Ace Ventura impersonation.
    Semper Fi!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Adam Carriker is a "complete bust"? Right. He's been a starter since day 1, and he's done some good things despite being shifted around the DL and fighting injuries. That's a "compete bust"?

Blogs lke this are worthless.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Carriker is a tweener that really doesn't fit at DT. He was PROJECTED at DT coming out of college and isn't playing his natural position.

That's one more reason why I hate the dad gum draft. Someone plays all their career at one position, then the NFL brainiacs PROJECT the player at another position and slot him there. Doesn't let the player play the position they have all their life, they are slotted to play somewhere and sometimes they just don't fit. Carriker has had injury issues that have hampered him, but I personally don't think he will ever be worth the first round selection at DT. Just my opinion.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I have to disagree with you there, Tx. If Carriker is allowed to settle in at UT and gets are true NT next to him (Raji, Brace), I think he could be a very good player.

Maybe, but to me that's alot of if's for first round money. Hey, I'm not blaming Carriker, I'm blaming the Rams for drafting what has always been a project so high.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-05-2009 at 06:36 PM.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Maybe, but to me that's alot of if's for first round money. Hey, I'm not blaming Carriker, I'm blaming the Rams for drafting what has always been a project so high.
    The "if's" here are not that different from 'if Ryan has a good RB & decent OL and okay targets........' Ryan is a good QB. Carriker is not a bust. I haven't seen a kid yet come out and do it by himself. Seems to me that AC is more an UT than a NT and needs to play there under a guy like Spags, and have Brace!!!! playing next to him. That will IMO also make Brace!!!! decent.

He's not a bust. The Rams were.
    Semper Fi!

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

If only we had lost an extra game that season, we could have taken Patrick Willis to man the middle. Willis was on top of my board for the Rams and I almost cried when the ***** snatched him away from us.

I don't know where he gets off calling Carriker a complete bust.
    You can hardly call a starting-calibur player a bust. Pro-bowler, no. Bust, however, is pretty extreme.

EvilXenu is offline Registered User

Some people think that every first rounder who does not make the pro bowl in their first two years is a bust. Those people are morons.
    And you thought Mike Martz was "mad"!

I think we all can agree that his production hasn't really equated to the draft position and money that he has been paid. If you can, then you are watching a different Rams team than I am. I am not calling him a bust, that's a little harsh. Tye Hill is a bust, Carriker hasn't reached that status. Yet.

richtree is offline Registered User

I have been following Walter Football Mocks in last 2 months and I think he doesn't do a good job projecting or backing up his picks.

He is a guy looking to try to be different instead of correct.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

This guy is a complete tool.
    He is a typical onlooker who doesn't have his facts straight.
    Wade and carriker are busts? my a**, they are both very promising.
    People who do not follow the team on a regular basis, like we do at clanram, should not have published work because they are completely wrong.
    Stupid, stupid, stupid.

tonyray05 is offline Registered User

Trying to make a name for himself, doesn't get it at all!!

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

It's funny to me how he uses the phrases:
    "Jim Haslett FTW" albeit mockingly and "Bulger really sucked last year." If a blogger or any observer wants to be taken credibly shouldn't they dust off the old thesaurus first?
    Secondly, I did enjoy that he observed we might want to look at a CB or other DB in the draft;, something that I've noticed most other mocks and boards have neglected thus far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast