Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Black Hills Ramman is offline Registered User

Re: Walter Football St. Louis Rams 2009 Pre-Draft Analysis

Whoa, bust is harsh. And wrong. Pro-bowl no, good player, yes. Please stop dogging Mr. Carriker, Put some more talent along side him, or behind him and let him do what he has the talent for.

BLACK HILLS RAMMAN

txramsfan is offline Registered User

What concerns me about Carriker is this: He's only had one assisted tackle in 31 games with the Rams. One. He is only averaging 1.7 tackles a game. He can't be plugging the holes either because the Rams get run on every week.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

The excessive use of complete bust, and saying "marc Bulger really sucked last year made me lose complete credibility for this guy. WHat a joke!

You can say what you want about his writing style, that's ok. However, Bulger didn't have the best of years last year due to several circumstances that is true. However, he still had a bad year. So did Carriker. Carriker hasn't played up to this selection, no matter what the circumstances. Neither has Tye Hill.

This is a big year for the Rams organization as a whole. They have to win collectively and the three I mentioned really would help themselves to play up to their potential or you could see more major changes on this team. Maybe the writer didn't articulate it properly but I think he's premise is correct. How can it not after winning just 5 games in two years?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I don't get why people make such a big deal about Jason Smith being a converted tight end. You'll hear stories about players who started college as linebackers and put on enough weight to play defensive tackle by their senior year, and nobody knocks them as a pick for it. Teams will even draft a player projecting him to play a position he has never lined up at. But look at this guy who has only lined up as an offensive tackle for the last three years. That's awfully nit-picky.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I don't get why people make such a big deal about Jason Smith being a converted tight end. You'll hear stories about players who started college as linebackers and put on enough weight to play defensive tackle by their senior year, and nobody knocks them as a pick for it. Teams will even draft a player projecting him to play a position he has never lined up at. But look at this guy who has only lined up as an offensive tackle for the last three years. That's awfully nit-picky.
    That's a good point fleece and the local sports talk station here put an interesting spin on that: he has more athletic ability than most Guards due to being a TE in HS. I think his 40 time was rather surprising for an O lineman.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Carriker IMO is far from a bust. He has played injured and out of position in his first two years. Like AV stated he has not played next too a solid NT. Much like Bell on the O line, his play suffered from weak center play. AC will play much better with a NT that is a factor . Hill has too have a break out year and I'm not sure if he will even get the chance. I liken taking a CB in the first round that high to taking a WR, hit and miss and it looks like a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Carriker IMO is far from a bust. He has played injured and out of position in his first two years. Like AV stated he has not played next too a solid NT. Much like Bell on the O line, his play suffered from weak center play. AC will play much better with a NT that is a factor . Hill has too have a break out year and I'm not sure if he will even get the chance. I liken taking a CB in the first round that high to taking a WR, hit and miss and it looks like a miss.

Thank you Rambos, you solidified my point. You may not have known that but you did. Why in the world would the Rams draft someone in the top 12 to play out of position and know that they needed a stud to play next to him? No fault of Carriker but he is a bust as a first round draft choice because the Rams drafted him too high.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Glad to see I can help you out TX, I know you need all the help you can get during tax time. When the Rams drafted AC, they had so many holes on the D line to fill, my guess is the Rams FO knew they could use AC in three position, NT,UT and DE, as they filled in the the players around him. They have added Long, now we need a true NT. I agree he has not played great at any spot, lets see what he can do at UT and some help. Glover was not really a force that had to be dealt with.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-07-2009 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Glad to see I can help you out TX, I know you need all the help you can get during tax time.
    Thanks, I am in the office right now. I'm more tired than Jason Sehorn chasing Steve Smith.

I hope for the Rams and Carriker's sake that he does break out this year. It's not his fault the Rams drafted him so high. Tye Hill I have given up on, but I'm hoping Carriker can right his ship.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Holy crap, people! In two years, the kid has had to handle not just making his way in the NFL, but doing so with a position change, two torn labrums, a bum ankle, and the general melodrama that is Rams Park! And in all that, how many games has he missed? Exactly 1.

What are we coming to here, folks? If a player isn't named to the All-Pro team by the first quarter of week 1 of their rookie year, they're a bust? Good grief.

You want to know what Carriker has done? Here's the list of solo tackles by 2nd year DTs, this year:

1. Brandon Mebane, Seattle - 29 (16 starts) - 1.8 per start
    2. Tank Tyler, KC - 29 (16 starts) - 1.8 per start
    3. Clifton Ryan, St.L - 23 (12 starts) - 1.9 per start
    4. Marcus Thomas, Den - 23 (16 starts) - 1.4 per start
    5. Adam Carriker, St.L - 22 (9 starts) - 2.4 per start

More than Amobi Okoye, Justin Harrell, Alan Branch, or any other of the "top-tier" prospects from the '07 draft. There were 25 second year DTs that played in the league, and Carriker was 5th in solo tackles and LED in st/start. All on a bum ankle and two mending labrums.

Yea, what a bust!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Actually, it's only 1.7 for two years but who's counting? He did get paid that first year I presume. And, if that's all there is for those guys, include them as busts also. Really. Carriker has 51 tackles in 31 games with 1 assisted tackle in two years. Is that worthy of 1st round money? No. I understand he's been hurt, and to me it's not his fault. However, is the reason he's been hurt is because he's playing out of position? That can't be answered but it can be asked.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-07-2009 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    1. Brandon Mebane, Seattle - 29 (16 starts) - 1.8 per start
    2. Tank Tyler, KC - 29 (16 starts) - 1.8 per start
    3. Clifton Ryan, St.L - 23 (12 starts) - 1.9 per start
    4. Marcus Thomas, Den - 23 (16 starts) - 1.4 per start
    5. Adam Carriker, St.L - 22 (9 starts) - 2.4 per start
    Not one of these guys was drafted ahead of Carriker and of the other 4, Thomas is the closest stat wise to Carriker. Tank Tyler increased his tackle total by 30 last year from year 1.

Yes, right now Carriker is a bust. He can turn it around with a great season this year but financially he hasn't paid any dividends.

GM makes a great truck and SUV, but their stock is about a buck. Carriker makes a good football player but for the money the Rams are paying him, the ROI isn't there.

Thomas is a fourth round pick. Mebane...3rd round.....Tyler...3rd round. Only Carriker was a first round pick
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-07-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Actually, it's only 1.7 for two years but who's counting? He did get paid that first year I presume. And, if that's all there is for those guys, include them as busts also. Really. Carriker has 51 tackles in 31 games with 1 assisted tackle in two years. Is that worthy of 1st round money? No. I understand he's been hurt, and to me it's not his fault. However, is the reason he's been hurt is because he's playing out of position? That can't be answered but it can be asked.
    tx, I'm sorry, but you factually inaccurate. Per NFL.com, Carriker has 53 tackles, 43 solo, 10 assists. However, I'm not sure that assists are really that big a factor in evaluating a player.

But you mention his two year average being 1.7. Personnaly, I'd rather look at how the player is progressing (as I did), but we can take a stroll down memory lane, if you like.

Over the last two years, those same players have averaged....

1. Mebane - 2.0 (1.8 this year)
    2. Tyler - 2.1 (1.8 this year)
    3. Ryan - 3.9 (1.9 this year)
    4. Thomas - 1.7 (1.4 this year)
    5. Carriker - 1.7 (2.4 this year)

So, what does that say? It says each of those players, except Carriker, did LESS with their starts in their 2nd year than their rookie year! Carriker is the only one of the group that actually outplayed his rookie year........yet he's the bust?

And over the past two years, what DTs from this class have the most solo tackles?

1. Brandon Mebane - 52 (no injuries to deal with)
    2. Cliffton Ryan - 47 (no injuries to deal with)
    3. Adam Carriker - 43 (torn labrum & high ankle sprain)

Again, unless one is just throwing around the term for grins, how could Carriker be labeled a bust?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Tank Tyler increased his tackle total by 30 last year from year 1.
    I should hope so, tx; he went from 1 start last year to 15 this year! Carriker went from 16 to 9 because of injuries!
    Thomas is a fourth round pick. Mebane...3rd round.....Tyler...3rd round. Only Carriker was a first round pick
    There were 16 D-linemen drafted ahead of Tyler; 18 ahead of Mebane; 27 ahead of Thomas. Are they ALL busts, tx? And no, Carriker was not the only 1st round DT. Okoye, Harrell, Spencer, and Branch was the #33 at the top of the 2nd. Carriker has outplayed them all.
    Yes, right now Carriker is a bust.
    Absolutely not, tx. But you'll never be convinced, so I give up.
    Last edited by HUbison; -03-07-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast