Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Walter Football St. Louis Rams 2009 Pre-Draft Analysis

I stand corrected on the assisted tackles but still stand by my thought that he hasn't earned first round pick money when every player you mentioned has the same stats but was selected in the 3rd round or later.

Answer me this one question: Has he equated to first round money? I don't care about injuries, or people around him, or Mars lining up with Jupiter and throwing his astrological sign out of whack, has he earned first round money?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I stand corrected on the assisted tackles but still stand by my thought that he hasn't earned first round pick money when every player you mentioned has the same stats but was selected in the 3rd round or later.
    Have you thought that they may have played above their selection? Why is it, that when a higher selection is played equal to by a lower selection, the higher selection must be a "bust". Could it not be that the lower selection is a "steal"?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Maybe, and trust me I am not blaming Carriker here....but this is just another example of the former regime. They knew going in Carriker was a tweener but still drafted too high.

To really answer your question....no. Not when statistically all of them are equal to Carriker. If one of them was better or equal, yes that would be considered a steal. When ALL of them are equal to Carriker, that's a trend.

Answer me this one question: Has he equated to first round money? I don't care about injuries, or people around him, or Mars lining up with Jupiter and throwing his astrological sign out of whack, has he earned first round money?
    YES! Absolutely, unequivocally, YES.

There are too many Jamal Reynolds, Reggie Rogers, Wendell Bryants, Amobi Okoyes, Shawn Knights, Jonathen Sullivans, Andre Wadsworths, & Steve Emtmans (a mere sample of D-linemen who were drafted ahead of Carriker's #13 in their respective draft, and have been outperformed by Carriker in his two years so far) to say otherwise.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Love to agree to disagree. That's what a website like this is all about.

When ALL of them are equal to Carriker, that's a trend.
    And of the 4 other DTs to go before the Rams picked again? All of which Carriker has outperformed.

And while there are 2 or 3 (one of which being a teammate, aside: Ryan does not get enough credit IMO) that have equaled Carriker's production, what of the 21 other DTs drafted that year that Carriker has outperformed?

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And of the 4 other DTs to go before the Rams picked again? All of which Carriker has outperformed.

And while there are 2 or 3 (one of which being a teammate, aside: Ryan does not get enough credit IMO) that have equaled Carriker's production, what of the 21 other DTs drafted that year that Carriker has outperformed?
    I don't know. I really don't. I just know this....that maybe, just maybe, he was drafted too high. That maybe, just maybe, the Rams could have got a similar player in a later round.

I don't know. I really don't. I just know this....that maybe, just maybe, he was drafted too high. That maybe, just maybe, the Rams could have got a similar player in a later round.
    Well, that's what makes the draft such a........CRAPSHOOT.

YES, YES........I got use the words "draft" and "crapshoot" in a discussion with tx! Dang, I feel so alive!

Well, like you said, the new regime kind of changes everything. Hopefully, for the better. Or at least to the point where we can debate a certain Ram being a "steal" instead of a "bust".

Fun, as always, tx.

P.S. I gotta spread it a little, then I'll get back to you.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Adam Carriker is a "complete bust"? Right. He's been a starter since day 1, and he's done some good things despite being shifted around the DL and fighting injuries. That's a "compete bust"?

Blogs lke this are worthless.

Honestly i like this neutral blog. Cuz as Ram fans of course we are going to be high on Carriker cuz we drafted him in the 1st. I mean no doubt he had a great rookie season but he was injured last year and we dont need his injuries to continue. However labeling him a Complete Bust was a little too much. IMO all rookies need 3 years so lets see what we get from him next year.

I think he is right about getting an OT in the 1st round.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Hey TX

I will never say AC is a bust. I do think he is playing out of position thuogh. I would like him to be moved back to DE.

I do not think any Rookie drafted in the last 5 to 10 years is worth the $ money they make. The pro's should get the big money after proving their worth. There should be a Rookie salary cap.

Doesn't it take 2 to 3 years before a D-line prospect becomes a really good player most of the time.

That's my opinion!

GO

ecuram18 is offline Registered User

I'd rather the Rams not take QB unless its the 6th or 7th rd. Then next year, in a QB heavy draft, possibly take Bulger's future replacement in the 1st or 2nd rd. Any taker's on this suggestion?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123