Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sdobbers is offline Registered User

WalterFootball.com Ram's Mock

Has anyone seen the WalterFootball mock draft? Here is what they have for the Rams so far (4 rounds):

**Note: There are additional comments on the webpage about picking Jimmy Clausen first. I just chose to include the most recent one though, because otherwise it would take up way too much space.

Round 1: St. Louis Rams: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
    JAN. 19 UPDATE: I was pleased to see that Mel Kiper has Jimmy Clausen ranked No. 4 on his 2010 Big Board. It's nice to know someone at ESPN knows what they're talking about.

If Clausen is considered the fourth-best player in this class, he has to be chosen here (just like Matthew Stafford was picked No. 1 despite being third on Kiper's 2009 Big Board). Ndamukong Suh projects as a great player, but you don't pay defensive tackles No. 1 money - especially if you don't have a franchise quarterback. If the Rams do this, they would be committing the same error Daniel Snyder was guilty of a year ago. And you don't want to group yourself with him in a football discussion.

In business terms, drafting Suh over Clausen would be like giving the best IT guy ever a 7-figure salary when you don't even have a CFO. That computer whiz could be the best IT guy in the history of the planet (i.e. Suh being compared to Reggie White), but devoting all of your resources to him would eventually force you to file for Chapter 11. On the bright side, you'd never have a single computer virus!

Round 2: St. Louis Rams: Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri
    The Rams traded Will Witherspoon to the Eagles, so their current starting weakside linebacker is Paris Lenon. It doesn't get much worse than that.

And by the way, this is exactly why the Rams need to draft Jimmy Clausen. If they wait on a quarterback, their options here will be Tony Pike (spread shotgun system guy), Jevan Snead (the next Kyle Boller) and Colt McCoy (a poor man's Kyle Orton).

There's a reason that excluding Kevin Kolb (who hasn't played enough to make a determination), only two Round 2 quarterbacks panned out this past decade - the quarterback position is so important, that if a guy isn't a first-round prospect, he either has at least one very glaring flaw, or numerous things wrongs with him.

Round 3: St. Louis Rams: LaMarr Houston, DT, Texas
    If the Rams pass on Ndamukong Suh, they'll look to make multiple upgrades to the defensive line in Rounds 2-4.

Round 4: St. Louis Rams: Austen Lane, DE, Murray State
    The Rams had 25 sacks on the year, and no one had more than 6.5. Aside from drafting Jimmy Clausen first overall, St. Louis' greatest priority is upgrading the defensive line.

What do you guys think?

(This is NOT my mock draft.)
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-21-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Removed link.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: WalterFootball.com Ram's Mock

I normally I'm not a fan of Walter's picks but this one is pretty good. Although I would hope if we went this route we would add a TE and OL in Free Agency.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I don't like this mock.

First, as I've made clear in other threads, I'd take Suh over Clausen.

If the Rams did take Clausen, I don't think they can afford to then take a LB in Round 2. Rather, they should look at DT, DE or WR.

Also, his comment about non-first round QBs is just plain wrong. I guess he's only counting QBs taken IN THE 2ND ROUND, because there have been more than 2 successful QBs who were obtained AFTER THE FIRST ROUND in the last decade (i.e. Brees, Warner, Brady, Schaub, Romo, Griese).

sakl18 is offline Registered User

I like it, especially getting Weatherspoon in round two. I just can't see him still being there.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

For being a mock that has the Rams going QB first, it's okay. Houston and Lane in the third and fourth rounds respectively are pretty solid. That being said, you have to laugh at some of Walter Football's (WF from here on out) commnets.

Such as...

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Football
    I was pleased to see that Mel Kiper has Jimmy Clausen ranked No. 4 on his 2010 Big Board. It's nice to know someone at ESPN knows what they're talking about.
    You mean the same Kiper who said of the Rams' first overall pick, "Nobody questions that the top need for the Rams is a quarterback. But unless St. Louis trades down -- an extremely difficult proposition on multiple levels -- it shouldn't take a quarterback with its first pick."

Does Kiper know what he's talking about here, too?

Continuing on, in regards to the Rams' second round pick, Walter Football seems to go on a tangent regarding why the Rams can't wait for a QB in the second round...

And by the way, this is exactly why the Rams need to draft Jimmy Clausen. If they wait on a quarterback, their options here will be Tony Pike (spread shotgun system guy), Jevan Snead (the next Kyle Boller) and Colt McCoy (a poor man's Kyle Orton).
    That paragraph wouldn't have really stood out to me, if I hadn't looked further down the second round of Walter Football's mock draft to see Tony Pike selected a mere five picks later by the Cleveland Browns. In their description of Pike to the Browns, Walter Football says...

Tony Pike is a smart and accurate quarterback who should be a good fit in Holmgren's West Coast offense.
    LOL!! So the Rams couldn't pass up Clausen because one of their second round options was a spread shotgun system guy. Yet five picks later, that same guy is described as smart, accurate, and a good fit for the offensive scheme the Rams are running!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sdobbers View Post
    Round 1: St. Louis Rams: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
    JAN. 19 UPDATE: If the Rams do this, they would be committing the same error Daniel Snyder was guilty of a year ago. And you don't want to group yourself with him in a football discussion.
    Perhaps this guy forgot that Orakpo was the Redskins' only Pro Bowler this season. Were they suppose to take Josh Freeman, who had a 59.8 QB rating in 2009, over possibly the best player on their roster at this point? Suggesting that this was a bad football decision just because Dan Snyder made it is asinine.

The IT analogy is also quite poor, as it implies that DT is some kind of auxiliary role that isn't integral to what the organization does. It's more like getting the best IT guy you can if your organization designs virus protection software. Without improved defensive line play, we're not going to be able to keep games competitive.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Perhaps this guy forgot that Orakpo was the Redskins' only Pro Bowler this season. Were they suppose to take Josh Freeman, who had a 59.8 QB rating in 2009, over possibly the best player on their roster at this point? Suggesting that this was a bad football decision just because Dan Snyder made it is asinine.

The IT analogy is also quite poor, as it implies that DT is some kind of auxiliary role that isn't integral to what the organization does. It's more like getting the best IT guy you can if your organization designs virus protection software. Without improved defensive line play, we're not going to be able to keep games competitive.
    Fleece,

The mistake Walter is referring to is paying Albert Haynesworth $120 million when their exists a glaring hole at the QB position. I don't think that he was referring to Brian Orakpo,

And it is a point well taken. Snyder has been throwing money around at most every position on both sides of the ball ( but especially the defense) for years now, all the while doing next to nothing to upgrade the most important position on the field.

And what has been the end result? Well the 'Skins defense is tough just about every year and yet they can't even sniff the playoffs.

Look at this way: if Haynesworth were playing for the Rams this past year how many more games would we have won? Wouldn't we have been just like the Redskins with a similar record?

Walter's point is valid. If the Rams rate Claussen or Bradford in the top 3 or 4 then they must make the appropriate moves to get one of them.

WHAT SAY YE

sdobbers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    For being a mock that has the Rams going QB first, it's okay. Houston and Lane in the third and fourth rounds respectively are pretty solid. That being said, you have to laugh at some of Walter Football's (WF from here on out) commnets.
    Haha yes I agree. I haven't gone through and read all of them, but I know what you mean

If we do end up taking Clausen instead of Suh, I would most definitely be happy taking Weatherspoon or some D-Lineman in the second.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Given how notoriously inaccurate Walterfootball* is when it comes to mocking Ram drafts, and their critical lack of a clue about our franchise's needs and priorities, I am heartened they didn't take Suh.

*I'd suggest Bernie knows more about football than these jokers, and Bernie just got a memorable Fisking by Avenger Ram.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Fleece,

The mistake Walter is referring to is paying Albert Haynesworth $120 million when their exists a glaring hole at the QB position. I don't think that he was referring to Brian Orakpo,

And it is a point well taken. Snyder has been throwing money around at most every position on both sides of the ball ( but especially the defense) for years now, all the while doing next to nothing to upgrade the most important position on the field.

And what has been the end result? Well the 'Skins defense is tough just about every year and yet they can't even sniff the playoffs.

Look at this way: if Haynesworth were playing for the Rams this past year how many more games would we have won? Wouldn't we have been just like the Redskins with a similar record?

Walter's point is valid. If the Rams rate Claussen or Bradford in the top 3 or 4 then they must make the appropriate moves to get one of them.

WHAT SAY YE
    Except for...say...2005 and 2007.

Perhaps the problem is with Jason Campbell, which I'm sure is blasphemy to some here.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Fleece,

WHAT SAY YE
    If he's referring to Haynesworth, then it's an even less relevant comparison in my opinion. What quarterback were they going to sign if they didn't get Haynesworth? Upgrading the quarterback position would have required brokering a trade or convincing Favre they were on the verge of winning a championship, and either way it wouldn't have been about money. Whether they upgraded the defensive line or not was a decision that would have had little relation to whether they were able to address the quarterback position.

A new quarterback wouldn't fix the Redskins overnight either. Their young receivers have not been making plays, their offensive line played poorly, their star runningback missed half the season, and the owner kept interfering with the head coach's authority.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

We need offensive weapons! Not another LB. We need a starter at some point but not in the 2nd round. I'd get an offensive weapon. WR or QB

sakl18 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    We need offensive weapons! Not another LB. We need a starter at some point but not in the 2nd round. I'd get an offensive weapon. WR or QB
    We badly need an OLB. One of our current starters is Paris Lenon. Paris Lenon. Like I said, we need an OLB.

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

What do you guys think?
    His drafts were intended to be funny. He has Tim Tebow going in the top 10. Haha, funny guy that Walter is.

shower beers is offline Registered User

There's a reason that excluding Kevin Kolb (who hasn't played enough to make a determination), only two Round 2 quarterbacks panned out this past decade - the quarterback position is so important, that if a guy isn't a first-round prospect, he either has at least one very glaring flaw, or numerous things wrongs with him.

He makes the cut at this decade because he doesn't have a rebuttal for Brett Favre, Randall Cunningham, Boomer Esiason, Jake Plummer, etc. I believe he counted Drew Brees (I hope so) as one of the two who panned out, the other probably Chad Henne.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's impossible to rationalize where a player should or should not be drafted based on draft history. There's always going to be enough counter points to whatever argument you can conceive, simply because the draft is so random and unpredictable.

If you'd like to try it yourself, try and come up with a list of first round busts at QB this decade. I think you'll find it just as easy to do as this guy did with his list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast