Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Vinnie25
  • 1 Post By Vinnie25

Thread: walterfootball latest mock

Rambos is offline Registered User

walterfootball latest mock

St. Louis Rams: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
    Conventional wisdom says the Rams will pick Jake Matthews if they remain here at No. 2 overall, but I'm beginning to think more and more that they'll select Jadeveon Clowney despite the lacking need for a defensive end.

This pick would be all about the future and the strategy of choosing the best player available. Clowney is a once-in-a-decade talent, so how can St. Louis pass on him for a tackle, which is a position that Jeff Fisher refuses to spend early draft choices on? Fisher believes he can coach up tackles, and besides, there's a chance Jake Long will be ready for the 2014 season opener after tearing his ACL. If that's the case, St. Louis will have Long and Joseph Barksdale (played very well last year) as its two tackles, so where would Matthews go?

Clowney would struggle for playing time early, but the Rams like to rotate their defensive ends. Both Chris Long and Robert Quinn were off the field for 12-15 snaps each game this past season. Clowney would get those reps. Perhaps St. Louis would even move Long inside on passing downs, allowing the three dynamic pass-rushers to be on the field at the same time. That's scary.

Also, consider that the soon-to-be 29-year-old Long is due $10 million in 2015 and $11.75 million in 2016. The Rams may not be able to afford him in those seasons.

Pick change; previously Jake Matthews, OT

St. Louis Rams: HaHa Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
    St. Louis' defense came on late in the season, but it struggled at times during the year for a couple of reasons. One was the play of safety Rodney McLeod. He wasn't terrible, but it's clear that the Rams need to find an upgrade next to T.J. McDonald. HaHa Clinton-Dix is arguably the top defensive player available who makes sense for St. Louis.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Jadeveon Clowney may be the Rams' pick in May, but it's not going to be because of some supposed blanket refusal by Jeff Fisher to take a first round OL. That's just lazy writing IMO and it's already been addressed on this board earlier in the season.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: walterfootball latest mock

Seeing Quinn - Brockers - Long - Clowney on obvious passing situations will make me VERY HAPPY (Mod Edit - this is a family site!)
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-20-2014 at 05:56 PM.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Jadeveon Clowney may be the Rams' pick in May, but it's not going to be because of some supposed blanket refusal by Jeff Fisher to take a first round OL. That's just lazy writing IMO and it's already been addressed on this board earlier in the season.
    Agree, if Clowney is going to be picked by the Rams its going to be because the Rams think he's a can't-miss prospect, not because Fisher doesn't draft offensive linemen in the 1st round

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin' Ram View Post
    Seeing Quinn - Brockers - Long - Clowney on obvious passing situations will make me VERY HAPPY (Mod Edit - this is a family site!)
    Better yet, how about a Quinn - Hayes - Long - Clowney quartet rushing the passer
    ManofGod likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Agree, how about Long?

Also, consider that the soon-to-be 29-year-old Long is due $10 million in 2015 and $11.75 million in 2016. The Rams may not be able to afford him in those seasons.

Unfortunately in a year or two the Rams won't be able to afford both Quinn and Long, and if things were based strictly on production, chances are the Rams would choose to cut Long and extend Quinn. It sucks because I really like Long as a player and as a teammate/role model, but that's the nature of the NFL. Having a player like Clowney would not only help with their depth, but also give them some scary good DE's for the future.
    ManofGod likes this.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Unfortunately in a year or two the Rams won't be able to afford both Quinn and Long, and if things were based strictly on production, chances are the Rams would choose to cut Long and extend Quinn. It sucks because I really like Long as a player and as a teammate/role model, but that's the nature of the NFL. Having a player like Clowney would not only help with their depth, but also give them some scary good DE's for the future.
    It wouldn't surprise me if Long see's this reality coming. It also wouldn't surprise me if he were to take proactive steps to remain in St Louis where he and his family are quite entrenched. Loyalty doesn't seem like something he'd be lite on (also, I wouldn't blame him for chasing another big payday though). Beside, this team is improving, where else would he want to go to get a ring? He'd just be a player for them, for St Louis he is a bit more than just a player.
    Semper Fi!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Agree, how about Long?
    I think as long as his effectiveness doesn't sharply decline, the Rams will find a way to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Unfortunately in a year or two the Rams won't be able to afford both Quinn and Long
    I think it's premature to draw that conclusion, but if that's your logic, how will the Rams afford both Quinn and Clowney down the road when Jadeveon's four-year rookie deal expires?

Mikey is offline Registered User

Chris Long already knows he doesn't have forever to cash in. He was raised by a former great NFL DLineman who I'm sure taught him valuable lessons on the realities of the NFL. He has to know this is his last big contract. After this one he'll take a pay cut and likely a change in his role to stay with the club and finish out his career with one team like his dad if he has control over it.

Mikey is offline Registered User

I think as long as his effectiveness doesn't sharply decline, the Rams will find a way to keep him.

I think it's premature to draw that conclusion, but if that's your logic, how will the Rams afford both Quinn and Clowney down the road when Jadeveon's four-year rookie deal expires?
    That bold part is the one thing that always makes me laugh, when people use us not being able to afford Quinn and Long, so we should cut long and we'll be better off with Clowney and Quinn, yeah until we have to give Clowney his second contract, if he's worth one that is.

The good thing is the Rams would have 4 years to figure that out, which is a long time in the NFL

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if Long see's this reality coming. It also wouldn't surprise me if he were to take proactive steps to remain in St Louis where he and his family are quite entrenched. Loyalty doesn't seem like something he'd be lite on (also, I wouldn't blame him for chasing another big payday though). Beside, this team is improving, where else would he want to go to get a ring? He'd just be a player for them, for St Louis he is a bit more than just a player.
    What family? His parents nor none of his brothers live in STL, and Chris Long to my knowledge is un-married and has no kids... He has no ties to STL, other than living their for 6 years.

THE DREAM TEAM

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

He might not have family here but I think you will find it hard to split him and Laurinaitis up!