ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User
    check out mike cox from Georgia tech. i saw a game against the hurricanes and the guy was throwing his body all over the place making great blocks. hes a pretty good short yardage runner and can also catch passes. what do you think?

Also, there are 2 mike cox's one plays for Navy, so make sure you look up the Georgia tech one
    Last edited by Nick; -02-10-2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Merging back to back posts

Built RAM tough

RealRam is online now Registered User

Re: Want a fullback??

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsplaya16 View Post
    Check out Mike Cox from Georgia Tech. I saw a game against the Hurricanes and the guy was throwing his body all over the place making great blocks. He's a pretty good short yardage runner and can also catch passes. What do you think?
    Definitely a possibility, RP16. I don't know much about collegiate prospects and (sorry) hadn't heard of Cox, but this is what I found -- and liked -- during a quick research:

The Cox family lives on the Susquehanna River, and Mike used to fish in the shadow of the river's infamous landmark, the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant.

"That could explain why he's such a freak, huh?" Yellow Jacket teammate James Johnson said. "Maybe it's something in the water."

Johnson could be right.

Cox is far from a normal 255-pound fullback. He can play the blocking role normally associated with the position. Yet he can also make one-handed catches and throw tight spirals on the run.

Cox did both in games this season. He made a diving, one-handed grab for a touchdown in a game against Troy and completed a 17-yard pass to quarterback Reggie Ball in a victory over Virginia.

"He is probably a much better athlete than anybody knew about," Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey said. "He's a very talented run, jump, change direction, throw and catch type of player in a 6-foot-1, 255-pound body."

Cox has adapted - or mutated - well to the Yellow Jackets' new offense this season. A blocking back for P.J. Daniels in the Jackets' more traditional power rushing offense the previous two years, his athleticism makes him a threat in the passing game this season.

He caught five balls for 53 yards in the first eight games, the fourth-best total on the team.

"Bull has a lot of energy," Johnson said, referring to Cox by his nickname. "He should be a receiver. You see him in practice and he's doing these one-handed catches, which coaches yell at him for, but he makes them. Bull is very talented."

Cox is also good-natured, especially as it pertains to where he grew up. Three Mile Island in 1979 was the site of the worst accident in U.S. commercial nuclear power generating history, when one of its reactor cores partially melted down.

Safety measures prevented fallout and there were no deaths or injuries attributed to the disaster, unlike the 1986 Chernobyl incident.

Cox was born in between the two accidents in 1985 and remembers doing nuclear disaster drills in school.

"I got a little scared once I was old enough to know what actually went on," Cox said. "We practiced little things in school. In case anything went wrong with TMI, we would go through our emergency plan."

Cox said the fishing is good near the plant, located on an island in the Susquehanna River. He never ate his catch, though.

"I don't like seafood," he said, "but you catch the biggest fish right near the towers."

Source: Georgia Tech's 'freakish' fullback grew up near Three Mile Island | SavannahNow.com

It will be very interesting to see what Coaches Saunders and Linehan do with respect to our FB in terms of players and configurations.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: want a fullback??

like this guy you could get him later in the draft because Hillis and Schmitt will go ahead of him, but he will be just as effective or more

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    like this guy you could get him later in the draft because Hillis and Schmitt will go ahead of him, but he will be just as effective or more
    Most definately.

And after reading what RealRam posted, it'll be a great pick up for us. He seems like a beast. Steven Jackson's new best friend to run with.

i think you can have him in round 5 or 6, so lets hope, he was pretty beastly and isnt afraid to throw his body around
    Built RAM tough

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Thanks RP16 and RR for the info on Cox. Sounds like a great find. We could sure use a guy like that as H back, FB, ST player. Would be a great addition to the 53 man squad. Hope he is still available in rounds 5-6-7.

hey nick what do you think of this kid?
    Built RAM tough

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsplaya16 View Post
    Hey Nick, what do you think of this kid?
    Playa16, forgive me for butting in on your question here, but I think -- actually I hope -- we get Cox as our replacement for Hedgecock who did well as a G-man.

From the little I've learned about young Mike, he seems to be the extreme type of physical FB, willing and ready to smash into the trenches to open holes for Jax, Leonard, Pittman. ...And he also excells at catching passes!

If it were up to me, I'd love to have that specific quartet of Rams RBs:

Cox - Jax - Leonard - Pittman. ...Watch out.
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-10-2008 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Format

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    hey nick what do you think of this kid?
    Didn't get a chance to see a lot of him, but my impression from the reports I've read is that he's a very good lead blocker with respectable ability to make something happen should he get the ball. Linehan seems to prefer guys who can be weapons out of the backfield, so I can't help but wonder if Cox displays enough of that to get Linehan salivating. But there's no doubt the Rams need a good lead blocker and Cox seems to fit that bill. Where you could get him in the draft is hard to say. Fullbacks are always hard to project. Last year we saw over half a dozen get drafted, but in the two years prior, only three were taken.

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Playa16, forgive me for butting in on your question here, but I think -- actually I hope -- we get Cox as our replacement for Hedgecock who did well as a G-man.

From the little I've learned about young Mike, he seems to be the extreme type of physical FB, willing and ready to smash into the trenches to open holes for Jax, Leonard, Pittman. ...And he also excells at catching passes!

If it were up to me, I'd love to have that specific quartet of Rams RBs:

Cox - Jax - Leonard - Pittman. ...Watch out.
    Yeah I really like the way that the 4 of them would look. And btw thanks for the info nick
    Built RAM tough

Rambos is offline Registered User

Found this on rotoworld.com:
    Chargers FB Lorenzo Neal may not be brought back next season.

Neal, 37, signed an extension last year, but he is not valued as much in Norv Turner's offense as he was under Cam Cameron and Marty Schottenheimer.

Yeah he is old but he is the best FB in the league

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Found this on rotoworld.com:
    Chargers FB Lorenzo Neal may not be brought back next season.

Neal, 37, signed an extension last year, but he is not valued as much in Norv Turner's offense as he was under Cam Cameron and Marty Schottenheimer.

Yeah he is old but he is the best FB in the league
    you have to ask though, at 37, how much longer can he last, plus he plays at one of the more physical positions in the nfl. so he may only last a year or so
    Built RAM tough

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    you have to ask though, at 37, how much longer can he last, plus he plays at one of the more physical positions in the nfl. so he may only last a year or so
    Very true. As much as I have respect for Neil, he's really old. 37 is pretty far up there for the NFL. and i dont think he'd last longer than holt with his knees. =/

Thumbs down Re: Want a fullback??

One of the best-blocking backs in college football... a major reason teammate Tashard Choice was able to accumulate 1,000 yards rushing in both 2006 and 2007... a big, bruising fullback... has shown the ability to catch passes out of the backfield... known by most as "Bull".

Would be nice to see MC as the next Rams HAMMER. :r

Source: Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site