txramsfan is offline Registered User

Watch Ryan Mallett in the Liberty Bowl

This guy is hands down the most ready QB to play pro football. He's the best QB coming into the draft as Arkansas does run a pro style offense and he has all the tools. He's 6'7 260 or something like that. Is mobile and has a gun for an arm. He's a redshirt sophmore so he is eligible for the draft.

This is the only guy I would even consider drafting before Suh. Not saying I would, but I would consider it. No other QB is worth considering over Suh but Mallett is.

tdog08 Guest

Re: Watch Ryan Mallett in the Liberty Bowl

I seen him play but he isn't polished if he go I wouldn't get him no earlier than Suh. He rarely has good games against ranked opponents. He isn't too mobile if he ran a forty I'd be shocked if he ran a 4.9. With that being said he does have the most upside so far

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I love his physical tools, but I do have some concern about his consistency. He had four games this year with a completion % of 76 or better, and four games with a completion % under 45.

If he comes out, I would be intrigued enough to consider him as a possibility for the second round.

He had less to work with than any QB anyone else is talking about and still had his team competitive.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I like the kid, but if I'm advising him, I'm telling him to spend another year in school. He has gotten better over the course of the season, and another season in the SEC could put this kid in competition with Locker to be the 1st QB off the board next year.

What bothers me right now is his play against ranked opponents; 40% completion, 3/2 TD/Int ratio, 6.0 ypa. I think if he comes out this year, he will cost himself a full round of money.

Saying that.......if he does come out and is sitting there at #33, I'd have to take a looooong look.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

molar_pistol Guest

he looks like he could have some talent, but right now we have the #1 pick and i don't think there's a question of who to use it on at this point. if this guy is there in the 2nd, or if we can trade back into the late 1st, i like him.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

First overall? No he is too raw IMO, but he does has a bunch of tools, but so did Jamarcus Russell. If he falls to the second, or more likely falls in the mid to late 20's in the draft I would consider trading up for him

richtree is offline Registered User

Yeah, it is funny how expectations change our perception of players.

He does have talent, but he not ready. He would be a project for any team to take on.

If he was the QB for USC or Flordia everyone would be criticizing how he isn't strong, mobile, or accurate for the NFL.

Today, he is sleeper pick of value.

He's just about as ready as Marc Sanchez was. Honestly, and we all know opinions on prospects is just that, an opinion not a fact, I think he's the better than anyone coming out right now. If the Rams don't necessarily look for someone to start immediately, draft him as a number 2 for 2010 and work with him next season for 2011.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I'd love to have Mallett but not with the #1 pick in the draft. I'd take him in the second round if available. He's physically as gifted as any but he isn't as ready. He needs more time which you could provide coming in from the second round.

But has he declared for the draft? I thought he was still up in the air and leaning going back to college.

He's not deciding until after the Liberty Bowl

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    He's not deciding until after the Liberty Bowl
    I think it would be a bad idea for him to come out this early. However i would draft him in the second, and have him sit for the first year.

People, you have to remember one thing.....this may be the very last year that their IS NOT a rookie salary cap. You are going to see more underclassmen come out for the draft than ever before. This is what makes it so tricky for GM's because do they draft on potential? college accomplishments?

For once, the combine scores may mean more than they have in the past due to so many underclassmen will be declaring for the draft.

If the Rams win a game and screw up Suh.......that would be a terrible thing. That one win could really cost them dearly in the future. Devaney is about to earn his money with this draft. The first pick will be a slam dunk but if what I hear is correct, Rounds 2 and possibly the high Round 3 picks could all have present or future first round talent in them. The Rams can get healthy quick with this draft and if Mallett is there in Round 2.....snag him.

poejoe8 Guest

I have been impressed with Mallet when I've watched him, I like the fact he's tall, has a strong arm, intelligent, competitive. He's not too mobile, so the O-line better be good if he's to be successful. I could see him doing really well in an offense with multiple wide outs and quick routes.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

If he comes out, I'd definitely give him a look in the second round. But I don't think he's a candidate for the first overall pick, nor do I think he's very pro-ready at this point. Like Locker, I think he'd benefit from another year in school just in terms of his readiness for the next level. But with Locker staying, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mallet come out this year.

Speaking of Mallett, there were some recent reports that he lost some first team practice reps in preparation for the Liberty Bowl, and when asked about it, head coach Bobby Petrino said, "Ryan’s doing good. Obviously we expect every person on the team to be on time, and come to practice, have a great attitude and work hard." Which led to reporters asking him if Mallett had been late, and he kind of shut it down from there.